iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Resolved Question

What is in the attachment AT&T adds to their emails?

by Pat45p / December 5, 2012 11:09 PM PST

The email AT&T "customer service" sent me -supposedly confirming contract changes discussed by phone - arrived with only 1 of the many changes specified. But the email had an attachment and instructions [DOWNLOAD ATTACHMENT] which I foolishly assumed carried a pdf with more details. One of the 2 (visible) downloaded files opened with omni outliner.
During my second call to "customer service" i asked what the attachment was - and was told they are unaware the emails contained attachments. This was only one of a series of frustrating and scary denials of knowledge, responsibility, or accountability but it is the scariest. What did i download onto my computer?

Pat45p has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is in the attachment AT&T adds to their emails?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is in the attachment AT&T adds to their emails?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Pat45p

Collapse -
Re: attachments
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 12:00 AM PST

What are the filetypes (extensions) of those attachments? It's much better to SEE that it is .pdf than to ASSUME that it is .pdf.

Since we can't see that mail, nor change the settings on your PC to show the extension (if currently set to hide it, a foolish Microsoft default) you're the only one around that can answer that question. We can't and AT&T customer service can't.
So it's quite unclear why you asked them and us in stead of just looking. Much easier, much faster, more reliable and certainly less frustating and scary.

Collapse -
File type
by Pat45p / December 6, 2012 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re: attachments

File types in AT&T attachment

One is a Unix Executable File
The second a Macbinary archive

If these are trackers can i delete them ?

Collapse -
Re: Unix and Mac
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: File type

These won't run on your PC. So won't do any harm either. But jut as well you can delete them.

Collapse -
Do you even know what you are asking?
by Pepe7 / December 6, 2012 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: File type

This 'trackers' nonsense you keep alluding to- what's the real concern on your end? Don't forget that you have a contract with them to provide you with (wireless) service.

Collapse -
These "Attachments" which are causing you much concern
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 7:32 AM PST

are almost certainly the AT&T logo and other business related logos that are on the letter head of each email.

If you are so concerned about "trackers" then please stop using your iPhone, iPad and computer.

With the former, you are always being tracked and with the latter, your ISP knows where you are.

Collapse -
I'm not the one w/ the tinfoil hat ;)- it's the OP
by Pepe7 / December 6, 2012 10:02 AM PST

I think you meant to reply to the OP. You & I are definitely on the same page.

cheers Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, my aim was not as good as it should have been,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 10:07 AM PST
Collapse -
If I knew - why would I ask
by Pat45p / December 6, 2012 11:33 AM PST

Really my experience trying to straighten out the cost of my new account was so surreal including a moment when i was told i had a 3 gig plan but they had actually put me down for Pay As You Go (at $2/mb) which would be a little over $7000 per month, had i used it. Suddenly anything seemed possible. Dumb me I opened their attachment on my computer and because of their dirty dealings in the phone, yes it seems possible my computer is contaminated in some way.

Collapse -
If only tin foil worked
by Pat45p / December 6, 2012 11:51 AM PST

So you are saying, because att has access to everything on my phone i am a fool to want to keep this company out of my computer.

I should not inquire about foriegn objects that land on my computer in this forum. Got it.

Collapse -
That is not what I am saying at all,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 8:51 PM PST

No matter who your cell carrier is, your whereabouts are known to them 24/7, even without an extra tracking software.

Your home computer, which is reasonably static, is probably connected to a wire that leads straight back to the offices of your Internet Service Provider, no matter who they are.
As soon as you fire up your computer they know exactly where you go and what you look at. As to your location, you are on the end of their wire!

By all means be aware of things that happen on your computer but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Collapse -
You can take off the tinfoil hat, amigo
by Pepe7 / December 5, 2012 11:42 PM PST

Don't expect the reps to know much technically, as they aren't expected to have a high level of knowledge about the systems they use.

A lot of these corporate systems send out unnecessary extra files like that. Nothing to be alarmed about. You do realize you could simply call them up and request a proper PDF, right(?) They might even be able to send you an old fashioned fax. It's also possible that they could provide you with this info via the myattwireless customer portal. Perhaps that portal has been updated recently. Ask them.

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you AT&T for your discouragement
by Pat45p / December 6, 2012 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you and the person who suggested it could be a logo
by Pat45p / December 6, 2012 12:01 PM PST

Just needed a rational idea of what it could be .

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.