Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is "FNTCACHE.DAT"

by koberaptor / July 18, 2010 8:38 AM PDT

I found this file in my system32 folder (C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT) and it looks unfamiliar. Is it a virus? Is it harmful? please tell me thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is "FNTCACHE.DAT"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is "FNTCACHE.DAT"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Quick Google Check
by tobeach / July 18, 2010 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: What is "FNTCACHE.DAT"

seems to indicate this as a Windows system file to handle various fonts on your machine. Have you added any non-MS fonts to machine?

Are you experiencing abnormal behavior at present either in font behavior (distortion) or other normal functions? If not, then unlikely
an infection and can leave alone. If you delete the folder,perhaps because has grown very large, it will re-form at next boot-up.

NOTE: You haven't give OS & SP levels of your machine or other protectors on board so following is based on being XP SP2 or higher!!

I have seen worries that it may be a rootkit (perhaps stealing a legit Win folder name)so you could try a couple of scans just for ease of mind: Following are free and should find rootkits if on board:

Malwarebytes MBAM: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

F-Secure Blacklight:
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/blacklight/

please post back w/ decision/results of scans (especially IF scans reveal problems) for further help as needed. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
You Can Also Copy & Paste
by tobeach / July 18, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: A Quick Google Check
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.