Computer Help forum

What is causing my computer problems?

by speedeysurfer / April 3, 2013 11:05 AM PDT

I am experiencing computer problems. I built the computer myself a few years ago. I first started experiencing the problems when my computer wouldn't boot up correctly. I was able to manage a system restore and things seemed fine until it would freeze after about 20min of being on. I then bought a new hard drive and installed it and Windows 7 with many update problems. I had to have Microsoft take control of the computer to find out why it was having trouble with one of the updates.

Finally it worked, but the computer would freeze randomly throughout the process and I would have to restart. A level 2 tech at Microsoft then took control and worked on it a few separate occasions. He seems to have made it work better, but it still isn't quite right.

Now my computer will freeze randomly for 2 minutes and then resume. Sometimes Windows says that there isn't enough memory to run simple things that it used to run fine. It also occasionally reports errors for chrome, steam, and bullguard antivirus. Occasionally while playing a game the screen will flash repeatedly, and after a few tries I can get the game to run.

I ran "BurnInTest" to see if the problem could be related to hardware. I received many errors and saved them to a notepad on my desktop.

I ran "memtest" to see if the problem had something specifically to do with the RAM. No problems were detected, even after a full day.

I took apart my computer and cleaned it thoroughly with compressed air. Also replaced the SATA cable connected to the new hard drive and mounted the 2 RAM cards to the other two empty RAM card slots. That didn't seem to help.

I'm not sure if this is software or hardware related. Could this be something to do with the video card or bios?

At this point I've become pretty frustrated. Please let me know if there is anything you can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is causing my computer problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is causing my computer problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you replace the heatsink compound and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 11:28 AM PDT

Try it without the cover?

There's more trouble such as the power supply can age and cause such issues. Think over if the power requirements are being taxed.

Collapse -
by speedeysurfer / April 4, 2013 1:12 AM PDT

I did replace the compound. An without the cover do you mean the heatsink?

I don't think the power supply is being taxed but I'll look into it

Collapse -
It looks like a desktop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Heatsink

Given the symptoms I remove the case cover and see if the symptom changes. If it takes longer for the problem to surface then it's likely a heat issue.

Some builders slap the cover back on without this test.

All Answers

Collapse -
Have you checked the internal temperatures?
by wpgwpg / April 3, 2013 11:10 AM PDT

I'd download SpeedFan and see what the internal temperatures are. If any are over 50 degrees C, you have a heat problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by speedeysurfer / April 4, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

I have a digital fan control device and it reads all the temps. None are hot at all. I'll download the program though just to be sure.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.