Storage forum

General discussion

What is best SSD money can buy form my new Samsung laptop ?

by shiphen3 / August 27, 2013 4:16 AM PDT

I have just bought a Samsung Series 7 Ultra touch laptop (model:NP740U3E-S04UK). I want to upgrade the stupidly small capacity 128GB SSD to at least 240GB maybe 512GB.

[Samsung only sell the 128GB SSD here in the UK because we are a 3rd world country and that's all we deserve. Whereas Germany gets not only a 256GB SSD but also an i7 rather than an i5 CPU, but don't get me started...]

I phoned Samsung and they refused point blank to tell me what SSDs would fit and said I *had* to go through one of their Authorised Service Centres. "Or lose the warranty." But this would cost £90 just for them to look at it!

I understand that my laptop uses mSATA. Can anyone tell me if any mSATA disk would work in fact? Is it hard to install?

What would be the best mSATA SSD that money could buy? (in UK)

Btw, should I worry about parts of the SSD wearing out and if so what action should I take? (e.g. partitioning the drive, having a v large drive etc)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is best SSD money can buy form my new Samsung laptop ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is best SSD money can buy form my new Samsung laptop ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About that worry. Here's how to tackle that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2013 4:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
More RAM / Backing up
by shiphen3 / August 27, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

OK so if I stuff my PC with enough RAM it might double the life span of the SSD. I think my NP740U3E-S04UK can take 10GB although I have seen 14 and even 16GB quoted.

I always keep the data mirrored and archived, but I suppose it would be worth doing backups of the entire SSD using whatever Windows 8 provides.

Collapse -
Danger Will Robinson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2013 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: More RAM / Backing up

Well that's an understatement. With each Windows release I hope the backup and restore would be without issue but so far, without fail you find folk backing up but can't get the restore to work. Here I have a few new Windows 8 laptops and the factory restore fails. Fortunately Samsung didn't rely on Microsoft.

Collapse -
My SSD is a "7mmH SATA HDD SSD"
by shiphen3 / August 27, 2013 4:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have been in other models
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2013 4:39 AM PDT

And they install both a SSD and a HDD. I can't write at length since I'd be duplicating the web. You could get the laptop, decide to forgo the warranty and then open it up to figure it out.

Collapse -
OK - misunderstood the vague manual
by shiphen3 / August 27, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

Got it - no, the manual was being vague and covering several models.

Collapse -
Ahh, the one manual for the series issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2013 5:56 AM PDT

Bob nods a lot today.

Collapse -
Best way to address the SSD is to get 'HDDTune' or any PC
by VAPCMD / August 27, 2013 9:36 AM PDT

utility that will identify your system components down to the mfg/make, series and model number of the SSD. Armed with that info, you should be to go on the WWW to get the dimensional info on the SSD allowing you to find a drive of choice that fits within the dimensional limitations. From there it's up to you.

Re need to check your system specs as you SHOULD use RAM in matched pair....2 SODIMMs at 4GB for 8GBs, 2 SODIMMS at 8GB for 16GBs and so on. When you mix capacities like an 8GB SODIMM and a 4GB SODIMM, you usually lose the benefit of systems dual channel (128bit) operation.

Let us know how it turns out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.