Mac OS

Question

What is "apple-scc-20120126-112417"?

by Nick Naym / May 3, 2012 4:44 AM PDT

I just discovered this in my Login Items. It's "Kind" is "Unknown," and when I right-click on "Reveal in Finder," nothing happens. Besides the obvious date reference (20120126), I haven't a clue what it's all about.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is "apple-scc-20120126-112417"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is "apple-scc-20120126-112417"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's see what turns up on the Apple discussion boards
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 10:18 AM PDT

I have no clue what it is

P

Collapse -
Re: "Let's see what turns up on the Apple discussion boards"
by Nick Naym / May 3, 2012 12:20 PM PDT

Huh????

Collapse -
Keep an eye on this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 12:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Keep an eye on this link
by Nick Naym / May 3, 2012 12:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
That's called cross posting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 1:09 PM PDT

But let's hope someone has more to offer on this. We used to see folk ask about mystery files a lot more about a decade ago. Today folk seem to not ask. These are usually temp files that some app forgot to clean up.

But worse than that, the user usually has the best shot at knowing where they came from and how to create more.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's called cross posting
by Nick Naym / May 3, 2012 2:38 PM PDT

Actually, it was<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> multi-posting.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">But I do have an idea what it's all about (it occurred to me earlier tonight).
<span>

<span>Last week I did an overdue Software Update. The Update indicated that it found — and deleted — the Flashback trojan. So, I suspect that the "apple-scc-20120126<span>..." file was installed by the trojan. And the "20120126" part suggests that it happened on January 26, prior to my previous (to last week's) Update, which was in February. I have Little Snitch running, so I guess I'm OK...but I don't know for sure. regardless, I'm puzzled why I can't find the apple-scc file on my hard drive.

Collapse -
I saw the date code too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 3:08 PM PDT

Looks like a date stamp to me. You would have access to more details since you have the file.

I see others are chiming in with what I think is good advice. Delete and try OpenDNS. Here I use the Google DNS.
Bob

Collapse -
I saw the date code too.
by Nick Naym / May 3, 2012 3:17 PM PDT

But I can't *find* the file. As far as deleting it, OpenDNS, etc., I don't yet quite understand...

Collapse -
About DNS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

It's a little technical but in my opinion a VERY GOOD IDEA to try other DNS (servers).

It would be strange to write DNS servers since DNS is Domain Name Server followed by the word servers but folk new to all this may give it a pass. Those that get uppity about TCP over IP when I want to shorten the dialogue to just TCP or UDP tend to want this to be exact. We're not using English here.

I see the mystery is still that but the advice looks fine to me.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: About DNS
by Nick Naym / May 5, 2012 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: About DNS.

You lost me...I haven't a clue how to use OpenDNS; and I don't know what "Google DNS" is.

Collapse -
Here's a tutorial.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: About DNS
Collapse -
Re: Here's a tutorial
by Nick Naym / May 6, 2012 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a tutorial.

My difficulty isn't understanding the DNS...it's understanding the purpose of/how to use "OpenDNS.com" and/or "Google DNS."

Collapse -
Ahh, why use another DNS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a tutorial.

let's find other than my reasons?

http://ask-leo.com/should_i_use_googles_new_dns_services.html

Collapse -
Re: "About DNS" and "Ahh, why use another DNS?"
by Nick Naym / May 7, 2012 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: About DNS.

I read <http://ask-leo.com/should_i_use_googles_new_dns_services.html>, followed the link to Google, and read the "Using Google Public DNS." The instructions appear to outline a not-so-simple effort to change the default DNS server (I imagine it's a similar effort at OpenDNS), but I don't understand what the point is. Why would I want to do change the server?

And I also would *really* like to know why I can't find the "apple-scc-20120126-112417" file.

Collapse -
You didn't find a good reason to change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2012 5:27 AM PDT

I did but that does not matter.

But about finding files and folders. Let's talk about today's users. Most are upset when we have to use the command line.

In this case when I see that a file/folder does not show in the GUI I know to open a terminal and look around there.

But here's the deal. This is not something I can teach here. There are plenty of fine web sites with tutorials on the commands CD, LS and such. I can't duplicate such fine work here but it's the next step in finding file or folders that hide from the GUI.

I've also been known to pull the HDD and connect it to some box running LINUX so I can do some forensics. And forensics is even further from something we could discuss here. It's that deep.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: You didn't find a good reason to change.
by Nick Naym / May 10, 2012 4:50 PM PDT

"I did but that does not matter." —> ???

Collapse -
Re did and did not matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2012 1:48 AM PDT

In other words, I found a reason. You have to find yours.

Collapse -
(NT) and that was my point!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 9:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) and that was my point!
by Nick Naym / May 4, 2012 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: and that was my point!

Sorry...my bad. (I'm still trying to figure out/get used to this forum's somewhat ...ummm... "non-standard" format.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.