Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

What is an FLV_27 file? What software will convert it?

by dinahkrell / September 15, 2012 7:31 AM PDT

I have a video that's an FLV_27 file And I'd like to convert it. I don't know what an FLV_27 file is, and I can't find any information about it online. I can't open the FLV_27 file on several media player programs I've tried, and I can't convert it with any file conversion programs I've tried, either. I want to convert the FLV_27 file to a format that will allow me to burn it to a DVD, so I'd like to download a program that will convert the file to a format that will make this possible. Does anyone know if there's a free software program I can download that will convert the file to a useable format?.

Any help is much appreciated.

dinahkrell has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is an FLV_27 file? What software will convert it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is an FLV_27 file? What software will convert it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dinahkrell

Collapse -
Usually some Flash. And BEWARE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2012 7:45 AM PDT

There are sites that have folk install infected decoders. Try this player ->

For more information about this content, try MEDIA INFO as well as answer Kees's questions.

Collapse -
by dinahkrell / September 15, 2012 10:55 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying.

Right after posting my question, I thought to check the MediaInfo, and I copied and pasted it in response to Kees' reply. I initially found that it is an FLV_27 file by checking the file's Properties and saw .flv_27, and the name of the file itself has .flv_27 at the end of it. The MediaInfo confirmed it.

The downloaded file is a documentary film, and I know it's a risk to download from file sharing sites. When you say there are sites that install infected decoders, do you mean free file converter software? I'll try the VLC Media Player you recommended and see if it will open the file and convert it.

Collapse -
You have a few titles I use. Here's the others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: MediaInfo

Here's my little collection. All free.

Each of the tools are pretty easy to use in my opinion. There is one other but I haven't needed it for a long time which is Virtual Dub.

Collapse -
FLV_27 file
by dinahkrell / September 16, 2012 8:15 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions. I have ImgBurn, and I'm going to search online for the specific directions how to convert the FLV file. I've only used ImgBurn once to burn a DVD, so I'm not famliar with the method. I just now tried to use the VLC Media Player to convert the file, but obviously did it incorrectly because the output was a text file. I made a copy of the original file just in case something like that happened. At instructions on how to transcode using the VLC Media Player mention selecting the Transcode option to use the Transcode Wizard, but I can find no Transcode option. I can usually figure out how to use software programs, but this is a challenge. I think I need to do some more looking online for instructions for -- if that fails I'll try one of the programs you suggested.

Collapse -
VLC Media Player
by dinahkrell / September 15, 2012 11:18 AM PDT

Thanks for the link to the VLC Media Player. It opened the file and played the video. I think I'll be able to figure out how to use the program to convert it to a format I can burn to a DVD because I want to be sure to save it permanently.

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 15, 2012 7:42 AM PDT

FLV seems to be a Flash video. But what is FLV_27 and how did you find out that it is that format? Where did you get that video from?

Collapse -
About FLV
by dinahkrell / September 15, 2012 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: FLV

Thanks for replying.

I downloaded a documentary film from which is a file storage and sharing site. The film was shared by a user. I downloaded it using DownloadHelper rather than clicking on the websites Download button. I don't know if that's relevant, but thought I'd add it. DownloadHelper is a program that I already have.

I thought to right click on the file in my download folder and select MediaInfo, I found out more about it. The format is AVC which is an Advanced Video Codec, and it is an FLV file. Here's the copied and pasted information from the MediaInfo Details:

Complete name : C:\Users\Dawna\dwhelper\_27maysles_bros._grey_gardens_1975_b72f1.flv_27
Format : Flash Video
File size : 338 MiB
Duration : 1h 40mn
Overall bit rate : 471 Kbps
Tagging application : Yet Another Metadata Injector for FLV - Version 1.4

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 7
Duration : 1h 40mn
Bit rate : 400 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.300
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.056
Stream size : 282 MiB (84%)

Collapse -
One of our forum policies ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 15, 2012 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: About FLV

is to NOT help with anything that has to do with pirated copyrighted material. So unless you provide the full details of that documentary and show that the maker allowed copying, there's no help for you here.

Of course, I'm not accusing you of downloading such pirated content. But it happens so often that we need to make sure before continuing.

Collapse -
by dinahkrell / September 16, 2012 3:16 AM PDT

I didn't think about the source of the film when I downloaded it. The site user who shared the file may have pirated it or may have purchased it legitimately from some place like Amazon where I saw it offered for sale. As far as my having used DownloadHelper to get the film, I didn't hesitate because the website offered the option of a free account with the words, "Get an account today, and enjoy all the features of the site!" and then asked for $5.99 to download the film. The other websites I found that offered a free download of the film require the user to install some software in order to download, and this is risky.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / September 15, 2012 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: FLV

I am thinking that was created from iPhone-iPAD, I saw the FLV-27 on a friend's system and the item was sent from a handheld. Otherwise I think FLV just designates flash.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.