Computer Help forum


what is an "express cache?"

by alison90210 / August 15, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

Hi all, I am laptop shopping. I see this advertised a lot. what does it mean? Is it something I need/may want?
thanks alison

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what is an "express cache?"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what is an "express cache?"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
It's video memory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2012 6:12 AM PDT

It's video memory plain and simple. In systems that don't dedicate a lot of RAM they put in some RAM and the marketing group fluffs it up with a fancy phrase.

Collapse -
Re: what is an "express cache?"
by Alex_Klein / August 17, 2012 3:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's for the system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2012 12:26 PM PDT

I had just read a page where the video had express memory for it's video work.

YES I own a rather nice Samsung RC512 that resumes from a zero power sleep using a similar named (they call it something else) feature.

MARKETING will rename things so I may get it wrong.

Thanks for the update.

Collapse -
I've seen this with some laptops but not by that name
by Steven Haninger / August 17, 2012 11:49 PM PDT

It appears to be some sort of small SSD type device that supplements the HD. Thus, it would act similarly to a hybrid drive without physically being one. Some newer Lenovo laptops seem to offer this feature. That's about all I've read but have no personal experience with them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Big screens for the big game

Still looking for the best TV deals ahead of Sunday's game? Here are our top three big screen picks.