Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

What is a TnL?

by redwingsr1 / October 5, 2004 9:55 AM PDT

I am trying to play a game on my piece of crap HP computer and I get a error message of No TnL detected on your display adapter do you wish to continue? Yes NO. when I press yes the screen goes blank and does nothing execpt sit there. I don't know what a TnL is, do you? Help!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is a TnL?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is a TnL?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What is a Tip?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2004 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: What is a TnL?

Your post didn't tell what game and if your machine meets the game's requirements. The forum tip asks that members supply such for a speedy resolution.

My bet is you don't have a 3D card with Texture and Lighting effects, but I could be wrong and your drivers are just out of date.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What is a Tip?
by Tman1 / October 5, 2004 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: What is a Tip?

TnL is Transform and Lighting.
Drivers won't make a difference, the integrated video on the HP is just not powerful enough.

Collapse -
How to resolve TnL issue
by V. / January 11, 2005 7:48 AM PST

I read your post from 10/5/04 re TnL. My son encountered the same message, and I'm trying to help him resolve it. Can you suggest what I can do?

His computer is a PowerSpec 6244 with an AMD Athlon XP2800+ processor running XP. Other info: More that 500 MB of RAM, 32 MB Integrated S3 ProSavage 8 Video Chipset (Shared Video Settings 8/16/32MB). There's a whole spec sheet of stuff, which I didn't include. I just tried to include what I think may be relevant. The problem game is Star Wars Battlefront.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Tnl prob
by technogeekzoid / January 30, 2006 11:11 PM PST

I feel bad for you. I have the same game and the same problem. Only my computer goes fine until a lot of action or an explosion. My computer is an Emachines with 256 ram, 60 GB hard drive,2.66 gz, and intel extreme graphics 3d.

Collapse -
tnl problem with battlefront
by nick8788 / June 29, 2009 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Tnl prob

I have battlefront 2 and i installed it with no problems, the no tnl adapter thing did pop but i never had any problems i played halfway through the campain with no problems , after that i exit to windows and the next day i got back on and loaded my saved data when i pressed load it froze up, and now every time i launch a mission or load it freezes.
I have an dell inspiron 2200 (which is kind of old but it is up to date with all the updates i need)
Where can i get a tnl adapter download and how do i fix the problem?

Collapse -
tnl
by nick8788 / June 29, 2009 1:13 PM PDT

i am going to ask my dad how to fix the problem because he works for a computer company, and i will post the solution if he finds it.

Collapse -
battlefront TnL
by leafman57 / February 8, 2010 7:59 AM PST

ya I have battlefront 1 and 2 and for 2 it does that. try turning the graphics on the game to low and see if that helps

Collapse -
tnl thing
by HFN6468 / November 29, 2010 5:53 AM PST

actually, i just got this problem. I dont know what to do to sort it, but it all came about after i just downloaded the latest driver for my computer so, i really expect it is linked...But the driver didnt install properly, because i didnt have something it needed

Collapse -
Re: What is a TnL?
by bmagic / November 11, 2004 9:32 AM PST

Samething happen to me....did you ever find out what the problem is and how to fix it

Collapse -
battlefront 2 problem with tnl
by eaf1 / June 4, 2006 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: What is a TnL?

hi i know this conversation was a long time ago but i have got the same problem - with battlefront 2. i was wondering if you ever figured it out and if you have could you please email me back. ps i have a celeron windows xp pc, with 40gb memory.

Collapse -
hey
by wconn / September 6, 2006 5:48 AM PDT

It has to do with your video card/video card drivers. I am having the same problem and am currently trying to fix it. what type of video card do you have. make sure you have the latest drivers. they will be one you video card manufacturer's website.

Collapse -
about tnl
by parkyale / August 5, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

Hey do you know how to tnl I also am playing battlefront 2 and got a problem with Tnl

Collapse -
re: what is a tnl?
by krajanctr / July 15, 2006 3:27 AM PDT

I have the same message when I start up. Mine also goes to a blank screen but then the game starts up about a minute later and is playable but with choppy graphics.

Collapse -
tnl
by parkyale / August 7, 2007 2:19 AM PDT

do you know how to ix it now?

Collapse -
TnL video cards
by TheBig3 / February 19, 2010 11:52 AM PST

From what I can tell the problem comes from using an integrated/built-in video card, not an actual video card (PCI, AGP, or PCI-E). This is because the integrated video uses the CPU and the systems RAM where as the video card has it's own RAM and GPU.

Best bet would be to find an inexpensive card that would fit your system. If you have an PCI-E (PCI-Express) slot available that would be the best you could use, then AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) would be second best, then PCI would then be third best.

Since this was originally posted in the Windows ME forum area I'll assume you are using Windows ME. You probably won't find to many video cards with drivers for ME, I had trouble when I tried to install a new card in my 98 machine. I was trying out a Nvidia FX5200 AGP card that I pulled from an XP machine. Although the card installed fine the openGL screensavers wouldn't work.

If you do decide to get a new (to you) card I would try amazon, ebay, or newegg to look for one. Fair warning though, not all older cards have Tnl, chack out the cards chipset (usually ATI or Nvidia) and manufactuerer (eg. EVGE, MSI, ASUS, PNY, etc.) to see if it has TnL.
(new (to you) means you might have to get someone else's old one, like a new used car)

As I said before I'm assuming you are using ME, not a newer system. For those using 2000, XP and later you shouldn't have a problem with a new card, brand new or second hand.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.