Cameras forum

Resolved Question

What is a solid, simple camera for seniors?

by McWaters12 / December 13, 2011 2:50 AM PST

My grandfather wants to get my grandmothers a digital camera for Christmas that is easy to figure out and use. He tasked me with finding the camera. Does anyone have any good suggestions.

McWaters12 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is a solid, simple camera for seniors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is a solid, simple camera for seniors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by McWaters12

Collapse -
Seniors
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2011 11:32 AM PST

I suggest you take a look at the Canon A3300.

If you live near a WalMart store, they usually have this one on display in the camera department.

Collapse -
Nikon S4150
by IvyNut / December 16, 2011 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Seniors

I am also looking for a point-and-shoot for my grandfather this Christmas, but I had actually discarded the Canon A3300. I found that it has too many menu options and too many buttons for somebody with big hands. I watched Joshua Goldman's video review here on CNET and he says the flat buttons are hard to press...

Collapse -
Comments of IvyNut's Selections
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 16, 2011 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Nikon S4150

According to the Nikon website, the Nikon S4150 and S6150 are for the India market (Country of India).
They appear to be similar to the S4100 and S6100.

Regarding Canon Elph 300 HS.
There is a problem with this camera.
It has a very wide angle lens (24mm) which results in the right and left side of some pictures being soft (not in sharp focus).
Canon has now released the Elph 310 HS which has a 28mm lens which does not exhibit that fault.

Collapse -
(NT) COBRA SENIOR CAMERA DCA-1230
by Sciolle36 / September 14, 2012 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Seniors
Collapse -
Answer
Canon A3300
by McWaters12 / December 16, 2011 5:39 AM PST

Yes, the one thing I wasn't sure about were those buttons on the Canon. It seems like older people do have problems with small/inaccessible buttons. I guess touch screen would be pretty good because they offer larger 'buttons' and you don't have to figure out what buttons do what on the screen.

Collapse -
by IvyNut / December 16, 2011 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Canon A3300

<div>@snapshot2: Yes, those are the

S4100 and S6100 respectively. I'm sorry I didn't realize I gave you the European numbers (I'm in Spain and that is the name they sell the cameras by). I guess they change it for commercial and contractual reasons but it is really a pain for users like me who are trying to compare reviews...I have to keep track of all the "a.k.a."...</div>

Collapse -
European
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 16, 2011 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: ...

As I understand it, many European countries will tax camcorders at a higher rate than still cameras.
If a still camera has a video feature, and the video is limited to how long it can record without stopping, it will not be taxed at the higher rate.

So, usually the difference between a European still camera and a North/South American still camera is how long it will record before it stops recording. Just an inconvenience because you can press video record again and away you go for so many more minutes.

Collapse -
Answer
You may want to read this article.
by Earl H / December 16, 2011 11:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Couple of things
by Zouch / December 16, 2011 5:27 PM PST

Good advice so far as always. Just a couple of quick points to consider.

Will your Grandma be happy with just the LCD screen on the back to compose the pictures or would she be happier with the option of a viewfinder as well? Some older people aren't too comfortable holding the camera at arms length to set up the picture, some are. Viewfinder cameras are few and far between nowadays, a shame in my view but I suppose that's progress. Canon make a few with viewfinders, some in the A series already mentioned. Fujifilm make the S series that has an electronic viewfinder (essentially, an eyepiece with a mini screen behind it) as well as the rear LCD, though the LCD is a bit small.

The other point is I would definitely consider an Image Stabilised (IS) camera. Digital cameras are quite light, compared to the old film models and some folks (e.g. me!) find them a little prone to camera shake. IS really helps with this issue.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
"elder friendly features" :O
by IvyNut / December 16, 2011 6:37 PM PST
In reply to: Couple of things

Thank you Zouch and Earl H for the tips and the link. I am definitely considering all of that. I found a website I am still in awe about:

http://www.eldergadget.com/

Collapse -
Viewfinder
by McWaters12 / December 17, 2011 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Couple of things

@Zouch

Collapse -
Answer
I agree with Zouch
by Earl H / December 17, 2011 4:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Viewfinder
by McWaters12 / December 17, 2011 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: I agree with Zouch

@Earl H

Collapse -
no viewfinder for me
by IvyNut / December 17, 2011 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Viewfinder

yes, the Fujifilms are way too "pro" for my grandfather as well. But thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
Answer
CNET Hs A Great Way To Help
by Earl H / December 17, 2011 11:22 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.