Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What Is a Network Controller?

by paulsim / October 24, 2003 9:06 AM PDT

In my Task Manager the Network Controller is yellowed out

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Is a Network Controller?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Is a Network Controller?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:What Is a Network Controller?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2003 10:26 AM PDT

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about the computer. The operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, brand name of the computer (if there is one) and any EXACT error messages that you are seeing. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be. Enough of that, back to your question.

Do you mean 'Device Manager', or 'Task Manager' and how are you seeing this 'Network Controller' listing? A 'Network Controller' assists with the Ethernet card's ability to work. Helps with computers that have the ability to be 'servers' or work on networks.

If you're seeing a yellow question-mark next to the 'Network Controller' and it's having conflicts of some sort. Are you having internet/network connection difficulties?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re:Re:What Is a Network Controller?
by paulsim / October 24, 2003 11:23 AM PDT

Sorry, I'm a little frustrated. I am using XP home, 2.6ghz, 512 ram, Gigabyte board, Radeaon 9600 pro vid card. Games such as Black&White and NASCAR consistently re-boot after a bit of playing. A mouse click or key stroke always sets it off. Yes the 'Network Controller' is yellow in the DEVICE manager. I have no troubles with connecting to internet so maybe that's not the cause of my re-booting. I also have a Linksys router but the only time it seems to lock is on graphics intensive stuff such as games.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:What Is a Network Controller?
by Sageth / October 24, 2003 12:23 PM PDT

Rebooting randomly could be a sign of overheating. It may also be your power supply. I would suggest a 400W or a 450W if you have a lot of peripherals running. To check for overheating, take the cover off and put a house fan blowing in. If that fixes your problem, it is most likely a heat issue.

You should also check to make sure that your vid card has the most current updates

Collapse -
Paul, In Addition To Sageth's Good Suggestion....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2003 2:36 AM PST

Some of the problems you are having could be related to conflicts with too many 'unnecessary' programs running in the background. Windows XP can have a lot of programs running in the background that are necessary. Turn some of them off and the computer stops having many of the reboot issues also. Please use the following link and instructions below to shut some of those programs down:

<a href= TARGET=blank>Windows XP Services and Start Up Programs</a>

If you have any questions about which programs to UNCHECK in 'msconfig', post back, or check for yourself at these sites: <a href= TARGET=blank></a> or <a href= TARGET=blank></a>. At this second site, which is probably the most comprehensive, wait for the page to load completely, then scroll down to the 'The Programs' section and click on the 'Full List' link. You should be able to find most programs you have questions about.

And remember, whenever playing games on your computer, it's best to shut down all background programs, including your antivirus program as it can cause slow downs and conflicts.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
In another direction....
by Michael Geist / October 26, 2003 3:05 AM PST

I would ask if this is a home made box, and if the updated motherboard drivers have been installed? That disabled Network Controller is a glaring omission.

Collapse -
A Glaring Omission?
by jenngrayxx / November 27, 2007 11:57 PM PST

Hello Michael,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 (2003) and in trying to set up a wireless network this week have found that my network controller has a yellow question mark & over top of that a yellow mark with an exclamation point.

You mentioned in an earlier post that these signs could be a glaring this fix-able? So far Linksys (the wireless PC card manufacturer) and Dell haven't been able to give me a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Collapse -
You've Posted To A Four YEAR Old Thread..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 28, 2007 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: A Glaring Omission? I'm not sure the folks from this thread will see your question...

Still, a little more information about your attempts to fix the problem would be helpful..

What operating system is on the computer?

Because the laptop is old, (You're lucky if the laptop is even functioning after 4 years), it could be a network adapter failure... Have you tried updating the wireless and ethernet drivers on the computer? If not, please do.

If you're trying to connect to the network wirelessly, did the wireless connection work before?

Have you recently scanned the computer for viruses and spyware? If so, which tools do you use? Malware can frequently cause issues with your internet connections.

Collapse -
What is a network controller?
by 60sunflower1948 / December 7, 2008 2:20 AM PST

Hi as you can see I am a newbee. I have a Toshiba laptop. It wants me to insert the disc that came with my device. Wildows will automatically search the disc for driver software. The computer was set up at Circuit City. I don't have a disc.

Collapse -
Re: newbie
by Kees Bakker / December 7, 2008 3:56 AM PST

Even computer newbies should have the common sense to NOT append their problem to a 4 year old thread about network controllers without even making clear that their problem has something to do with a network controller.

When my son got a Toshiba laptop, it came with all disks, as it should do. But he didn't buy at Circuit City.

You don't tell what you do or did to have Windows asking for the disk. I don't assume it did it right from the start, so something most have changed or happened.

For the moment all you can do:
- see if Circuit City still is able to help you (doubtful, probably)
- contact Toshiba
- find a friend or family member with the right CD and use that

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / December 7, 2008 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re: newbie

it's possible they put a copy of the Windows disk somewhere at your hard disk. Then all you've got to do is browse to that folder if Windows ask for the disk.

Go and search for folder with a lot of .cab files. That might be it. There's a small chance you can find it in the documentation that came with the laptop.

Collapse -
Network Controller
by bluemist23 / December 26, 2008 3:51 AM PST

I am redoing a IBM T42 Type-2374Ju4
In The Device manager, i am getting the yellow question mark?

Collapse -
Five years later?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2008 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Network Controller

Please take notice of the posting dates. By putting your question here it may go unnoticed.

Collapse -
I recently bought HP Laptop: HP dv4 - 1403 Entertainment Not
by todoportodo / December 20, 2009 2:25 AM PST

My problem is that I'm trying to follow the instructions that came with the equipment where they mention to turn on the wireless light, but I've already turned the Laptop upsidedown, but no bits, I cannot find this famous wireless light (switch I guess). Is there any help please . . . . .

Francisco Solognier

Collapse -
like what?
by n1c3m4n / December 28, 2009 3:47 PM PST

yellow out like what??? i don't get it.

Collapse -
You've Responded To A 6 Year Old Post??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: like what?

Since that member hasn't posted in our forum for 6 years, I don't think you'll get much feedback.

Please watch the dates of the threads and posts you're replying to.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.