Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

What is a good back up program for a website?

by 4GBS / June 11, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

Hi! I'd appreciate any recommendations for a back up program for our website. Has anyone used/heard of BackUp Buddy? Thanks in advance for your help. Heather

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is a good back up program for a website?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is a good back up program for a website?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I use Norton Ghost & Easus Todo Backup
by wpgwpg / June 11, 2013 6:41 AM PDT

I've been using Ghost since 2003 without the first problem. Since Symantec hasn't come out with a version compatible with Windows 8 yet, I use Easeus Todo Backup for my Windows 8 PCs. Both of these are very good.
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).

Collapse -
Thank you
by 4GBS / June 14, 2013 11:48 AM PDT

Thank you for the information; I appreciate it.
I am looking specifically for something to back up our WordPress website which we have hosted at Netfirms, though.
Have a great weekend!
Heather

Collapse -
Answer
Backing up files on a website
by InMotionHosting / June 11, 2013 11:40 PM PDT

Hello Heather!

Backing up a website is not difficult. It depends on what hosting server platform your website is on.

On Linux cPanel servers you can set up a cron job that backs up the database and the files.

If you built your website with WordPress, you can us a plugin like "BackUpWordPress" to maintain back ups.

cPanel servers have a Backup Wizard that backs up all of your cPanel account which includes the databases, web files, email accounts and more.

Hope this helps,
InMotion

Collapse -
Thank you
by 4GBS / June 14, 2013 11:42 AM PDT

Hi InMotion,
We have a WordPress website that is hosted with Netfirms, so perhaps the BackUpWordPress plugin would be good to look into.
What we want is something reliable, easy-to-use, and that provides restoration of the website in case of crashes.
Thanks very much for your help and suggestions!
Heather

Collapse -
An automated backup program?
by 4GBS / June 14, 2013 11:55 AM PDT

Hi InMotion,

I looked at the description of the BackUpWordPress plugin; this seems to be another way of manually backing up and restoring one's website; I was hoping to find a way to automate the backup and restoration (if need be) process.

Have you - or anyone - heard of BackUp Buddy? (Or know of a similar program?) The only two reviews I was able to find on it were by people paid to advertise it on their sites. It seems like a good product; however, they don't have any telephone customer service, which makes me a bit leery. Everything is done via email or support forum. I would really love to find a solid back up program that is automated and fully supported.

Thanks again for your help!

Heather

Collapse -
Answer
Hi
by samjercy / June 17, 2013 5:07 PM PDT

Magento provide security breaches by upgrading features of the software and introducing latest version of their software simultaneously.
The users should remember that creating a password with mixed set of characters is recommended for users signup. So that hackers will not be able to crack it easily.
Update your password regularly and don't use the same password repeatedly.
Take a backup of your data regularly using backup tools or internet backup providers and it will save your data for future use.
Magento is followed by an active community which will be helpful for searching any problems related to magento features and facilities in future.
To avoid password cracking use a secondary password; it works by having two login attempts through accessing then security via magento admin.

Collapse -
Answer
by MeHemz / August 11, 2013 8:27 PM PDT

Hi Heather,

Backing up a WordPress site has actuallu become very simple and easy nowadays, with hardly any manual work involved Happy
What are your plans for backing up your site - is it going to be on a daily, weekly or monthly basis?
You can also try the new backup plugin in the block - BackUpBreeze.
You can check whether it meets your requirements or not Happy

Collapse -
good back up program for a website?
by Smitha_Nayak / August 13, 2013 4:50 PM PDT

There are five reasons why you should back up your website:
1. It's not your web host's responsibility to make back ups available to you.
2. Storing the original development site isn't enough.
3. You need to be ready to react quickly.
4. Peace of mind.
5. It's your protection against viruses.

Collapse -
by MeHemz / August 13, 2013 10:37 PM PDT

Hi Smitha,

Good to read the points you have chalked out - all of them are important to remember.

Do you actually use any backup plugin? And if yes, how do you schedule your backup - is it daily, weekly or monthly?

I prefer doing a backup everyday, so that I can enjoy a good night's sleep Happy

Regards

Collapse -
Answer
by brendontayllor / August 18, 2013 5:22 PM PDT

At this point, you understand that it would be downright foolish not to backup your site on a regular basis. Moreover, you need to find a reliable way for your backups to be in your control.

Furthermore, even if you do store backups in a reliable place (like Amazon S3), you should download a known working backup of the site to your own hard drive, so you possess the ultimate fail-safe.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.