Networking & Wireless

General discussion

What is a 1394 Connection?

by boomerscout / August 22, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

Last week I posted a note about wireless connections and how I had logged onto what I thought might be the local library system's wifi site. I never did solve that problem, but now there is an icon on my bottom bar of two monitors that when I put the cursor over it, a popup appears that reads:

"1394 Connection
Speed: 400 Mbps

However, my browser doesn't seem to be running any faster than it did (does) under the AOL dialup. I don't know if I'm actually using the "1394" connection or not, and if not, how do I use it. Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is a 1394 Connection?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is a 1394 Connection?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's Firewire. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 22, 2006 11:40 PM PDT

Similiar to USB, just another method of connecting peripherials. How is your modem connected? Have you added any hardware?

Collapse -
No, I haven't added anything recently.
by boomerscout / August 24, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: It's Firewire. . .

The connection didn't show up until after I logged onto what I thought was the county library's wifi site.

Thanks for the information.

Collapse -
What is a 1394 Connection?
by misticrose00462 / August 24, 2006 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: It's Firewire. . .

I just opened up my control panel to look and make sure of what I was getting ready to say first. It is a net adapter connection between two computers or it is a router connection to connect two computers. My daughter has a laptop and I have a regular computer. We purchased a router to connect her laptop to my computer so she would be able to access the internet without having to buy or get another modem box from the cable company.

I think that is all it is. You might want to see what other people say about it as well. If you would like to check your computer to see if that connection is active on your computer, go to your control panel and then Internet connections and it should be under that.

Hope this helps in some way!
Phylis

Collapse -
With A 1394 adapter, can someone eles see what I'm doing?
by depiper / February 8, 2007 9:46 PM PST

Please let me know.

Collapse -
re: What is a 1394 Connection?
by ramarc / August 23, 2006 6:13 AM PDT

if you've got firewire, you'll have a 1394 connection. firewire can be used to setup a network link between PCs but rarely is. still windows sees it as a potential network adapter and shows it as "connected" since its working properly. just ignore it.

Collapse -
OK
by boomerscout / August 24, 2006 4:13 AM PDT

Thanks. I don't think I have used firewire, but I'm really not sure WHAT it is. As is evident, I'm not knowledgeable on wifi connections.

Collapse -
RE: What is a 1394 Connection?
by knegypt / August 24, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

Evidently, you are using a laptop computer with an internal WiFi adapter. It appears that your laptop's WiFi adapter is connected to your motherboard via an IEEE-1394 (FireWire or I-Link) internal port. The icon in your system tray are indicating that this adapter is now connected and active.

Wikipedia has a full definition of the IEEE-1394 serial bus interface at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

If you are connected to a network via the WiFi adapter then you should notice activity in the icon; otherwise it will just "be there" with no activity. If you have your laptop with you somewhere that you don't know has a WiFi network and you see activity in the icon, this indicates that there is an active WiFi network around you that your laptop is trying or has connected to.

Hope that helps!

Collapse -
by Nate0521 / October 13, 2011 3:13 AM PDT

Evidentally you like to look at wiki and presume what they write is completely accurate. I have the same 1394 Connection and have NEVER used a laptop! Nor do I use a system with an internal wireless connection. FAIL!

Collapse -
some general info
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

Firewire was very common and commonly used on Mac computers until Apple announced they were going to use it anymore on their new comps about a year or 2 ago.

It's also the connection used to hookup camcorders/video cameras to PCs. One way it's preferred over USB 2.0 is it provides FULL power to electronic devices while providing data transfer. USB can also provide power, but the USB port needs to be supplied so, unlike some ports that just transfer data. Even if they do, the PC or laptop may not have enough juice to suffficiently power devices.

Collapse -
re: some general info
by shalimara / September 1, 2006 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: some general info

nothing to do with the original post, but since you mentioned it.... how do i know if a USB connection has power supplied to it?

Collapse -
correction and reply
by ackmondual / September 2, 2006 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: re: some general info

Correction:

>QUOTE
Apple announced they were going to use it anymore
>unQUOTE

should be
''Apple announced they were NOT going to use it anymore''

As for the question.... Checking the motherboard or PC manufacturer's user manual will surely tell you that. Additionally, you could either look online for those specs or call tech support for that. Else, not sure it's possible just from looking it at physically, through one of Windows' screens, or even if there's a utility for this. I'm sure there's a utiltiy, but don't know of any by name.

Collapse -
How do you know if your USB can supply power...
by spiderwaui / February 10, 2007 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: re: some general info

Once you connect your gadget to your PC's USB you will see an icon in the right-bottom of icon tray. The icon say "Safely Remove Hardware.". USB always supply 5 volts of power to any gadget that support it. Some gadget do require more than 5 volts so, you will need an external power source. If you do a "Safely Remove Hardware" process and the icon disappears from the system tray, your PC is not supplying power to your gadget and you can remove your gadget safely.

Collapse -
USB Limitations
by xz4dxx / April 13, 2010 8:32 AM PDT

Only one point missing on the USB Power Supply - the specifications limit the current drain to 500 mA. PER POWERED PORT. This means you can only draw a maximum of 2.5watts of power (5v * 0.5A). If you are using an unpowered USB hub this is spread over all devices connected to the Hub.

This is obvious when you plug a device in to a USB socket to charge it. Either the port overloads or the device never fully charges. Some HTC phones pull 750 mA and some external "USB" disk drives pull 1A. The solution is either an external power supply or using a second USB socket for additional power only.

Collapse -
(NT) This is a 3-4 yearold question.
by Coryphaeus / April 13, 2010 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: USB Limitations
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.