Site Feedback forum

What has happened to your site?

by johnmaher / March 12, 2013 6:21 AM PDT

I have always used as a safe place to go to download software, whether free, on trial, or for purchase.

The other day I downloaded CamStudio for my Asus X53E i5 laptop, running Windows 7.

Firstly, the software simply didn't install.

But, more importantly, it came with a toolbar and search engine attached [Mixi DJ Search].

Not only that, it surreptitiously installed a programme which protects Mixi DJ Search from efforts to change the search engine. It locks the laptop into using this software.

I have uninstalled the related software and followed instructions to remove Mixi DJ Search. But this search engine has bitten my laptop like a nasty dog and will not let go.

For years I have trusted you.

But this is the second time I have been savaged by rogue software on your site [the first time being Babylon Dictionaries].

On the section of your website, you ask for the user to report any malware found on your site.

But you do not give any means of contacting you.

Shame on you for adopting the sharp practices that seem to be currently plaguing American commerce and business.

Should I be reporting this malware to the FBI?

Because they seem to be the only ones currently taking an interest in malpractice in the IT world!

Link to your onsite request to notify you of rogue software... with no means on contacting you: []

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What has happened to your site?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What has happened to your site?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience here.
by CNETSupport / March 28, 2013 9:52 AM PDT

It sounds like you may have run into some issues with the CNET Installer in particular.

In future, you do have a couple of options to download without using the Installer - you can either click the Direct Download Link for Installer Enabled items, or, if you have a CNET account, completely disable the Installer for the whole site.

You can read more about those options here:

For more detailed information on the CNET Installer, please visit the following resource:

If you have trouble uninstalling anything via your computer's Add/Remove Programs panel, you might want to try one of the programs listed in our uninstaller software category here:

Instructions for resetting your browser, if you need them, are here:

Concerning how to contact us, there is a "Submit a Question" link in the top right corner of every support article; clicking that link will take you to the support form. We apologize if this was not clear, and we will update the instructions on the page you linked to point that out.

CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
You need to put this on the main page
by wpgwpg / March 28, 2013 10:09 AM PDT

You need to put this on the main page, and you need to put it in BIG BOLD LETTERS. There's no excuse for this BS.

Collapse -
not good enough
by shimself / April 2, 2013 6:00 AM PDT

It's bad enough in the first place giving the customer three(?) identical buttons marked download now, only one of which delivers what the customer actually wanted

this is a particularly troublesome and unwelcome unexpected installation. Try it for yourself on your personal pc at home)
Then spend over an hour getting rid of it. (Don't think for a moment the instructions on mixidj's website are complete)
It goes way beyond getting the ASK toolbar with a java update.

And your apology is utterly hollow, because it happened to me 2 days after your reply.

Please take this issue up with a big boss, because this is going to bite cnet hard, going from being THE trusted download site to becoming a know distributor of malware. What are you thinking?

Collapse -
A CNET fan no more
by icemel / May 2, 2013 9:28 AM PDT

WTF CNET!!Were you bought by the Russian mafia???
So nice of you to provide a way to avoid the malware you include in your downloads!
...till one the overlords decides it's not in the interest of your bottom line to even do that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.