Mac OS

Resolved Question

What happens when Google kills iGoogle in November?

by Tosca / February 25, 2013 10:01 AM PST

I use a MacBook running TIGER and use Safari with iGoogle, as well as Firefox. The only Google product I'm really aware of using is the Google search engine and occasionally Gmail. What happens in November when iGoogle "disappears"? My OS is not enough for Chrome and I'm still perfectly happy with the Mac - would appreciate what to expect, what to do, if anything -- Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What happens when Google kills iGoogle in November?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What happens when Google kills iGoogle in November?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Tosca

Collapse -
There are alternatives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 10:10 AM PST
Collapse -
by Tosca / February 25, 2013 1:57 PM PST

Good, Bob, I'm sure these responses will have all I need -- Thanks

Collapse -
by Tosca / February 26, 2013 3:04 AM PST

Scanning all those links, Bob, I'm wondering if I can get any replacement recommendations out of you - especially re my old Tiger OS. Also thinking of checking out the Apple site to see it they have any thoughts. Suggestions?

Collapse -
I can't give a direct answer. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 3:23 AM PST

Since the iGoogle is a customized view with, well, a custom view any replacement may or may not have what you want. It's like a car. Some models you can get custom, some are available in any color as long as it's black. (Model T days.)

There are replacements, more than one and since only you know what you want on the web page, only you could give the replacement a passing grade.

But I can answer one question if it was asked. Ready? "Is there an exact replacement for iGoogle?" The answer to that is no.
Bob

Collapse -
by Tosca / February 26, 2013 5:52 AM PST

I really would have preferred another reply - but you're right, so I have to "like" it !

Collapse -
Lost bookmarks? Use a offline or online service
by sn4pple / September 25, 2014 6:58 AM PDT

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do if you have all your bookmarks inside iGoogle. The best possible solution would be to have a off-line source like a USB stick to keep the most import bookmark links or use a free cloud bookmarking service. I personally use https://delicious.com/ and https://www.papaly.com/ as my two replacements but both have extremely similar features. It all comes down to user preference really.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.