Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

What happens to quarantined viruses when you delete the

by zzzkatzzzz / February 5, 2010 9:00 AM PST

program quarantining them? will the new program find them? will they infect my computer?

im a newbie to computers. i have a toshiba pc laptop with windows vista home. google chrome (dont know the version number). im currently using webroot but am looking to change to avg for spyware/anti-virus. sorry, i dont know what model i use.

thanks for any & all help you can provide!

Kat

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What happens to quarantined viruses when you delete the
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What happens to quarantined viruses when you delete the
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Worries..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 9:57 AM PST

Kat..

AVG will NOT detect the file/s, which you remove/delete from quarantine. Nor will removing the virus from quarantine and deleting it, reinfect your system. It's safe to do.

Unrelated to your question, but a couple of things you may want to note. When in quarantine, you want to make sure the file/s have been there a long enough period of time, to determine whether (or not) Webroot detected the file/s in error. In other words, that it wasn't a "false positive". In most cases it's not. Additionally, if your system has been running well with the virus in quarantine, it's also safe to remove.

As to your original question, I reiterate. Once it's removed from quarantine (and deleted) AVG will not detect it. Nor will the action of deleting the file/s reinfect your computer.

Good luck with the switch..
Carol

Collapse -
Hey Carol....
by zzzkatzzzz / February 5, 2010 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: No Worries..

THANK YOU!!! i didnt know i needed to delete the quarantined items. i truly am a newbie. webroot "advises" that you do not delete the items quarantined...so i never did & i didnt know why i shouldnt delete them. your explanation helped tremendously...you have given me much relief. thanks so much for taking the time to respond & advise...i much appreciate it.

take care,
Kat

Collapse -
Hey Kat :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 3:55 PM PST
In reply to: Hey Carol....

YOU'RE WELCOME!! Now for the oddest and strangest thing! You wrote in your last post, "I didn't know I needed to delete the quarantined items". I read your original post 3 times (same w/ mine) and I'll be darned, if I could find where you asked, if they "needed to be deleted from quarantine". Laugh Worse yet, I couldn't find, where I told you "they did need to be deleted". Devil

I thought for sure you asked what happens after deleting them from quarantine. And 'when you install the new program, will they infect my computer?' I sense I may be a bit older than you, so forgive me when I say, "I must have been experiencing "a senior moment"!

With ALL the above said.. and with ALL kidding aside.. I'm not familiar with what Webroot "advises", but I would think they are only stressing the importance of leaving it in quarantine, in case it's a system file. Some require replacement. If the file/s have been sitting in quarantine for a goodly amount of time, with no untoward effects, I see no reason to keep them there.

Enjoy your weekend..
Carol

Collapse -
hay again Carol
by zzzkatzzzz / February 6, 2010 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: Hey Kat :)

as i said & cannot stress enough...im such a NEWBIE to computers. i didnt understand & never had explained to me what webroot was all about--i went on instinct & did what they suggested which was to keep them quarantined. you are right...you never actually said i should delete them but that what i thought you meant from you comment: "AVG will NOT detect the file/s, which you remove/delete from quarantine. Nor will removing the virus from quarantine and deleting it, reinfect your system. It's safe to do." &: "Additionally, if your system has been running well with the virus in quarantine, it's also safe to remove." & also: "Once it's removed from quarantine (and deleted) AVG will not detect it. Nor will the action of deleting the file/s reinfect your computer."

im certainly aware & have many senior moments of my own....im 43--not such the young chicken anymore. lol. fortunately i dont have too many senior moments. yet! lol Happy

thanks for the laugh from your 2nd post...take care,
Kat

Collapse -
kat & Carol, I use SAS, MBAM
by Darrell / February 6, 2010 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: hay again Carol

on WINXP SP3. I take the protection of setting my Recycle Bin under Properties to not save any deleted items [check box] so they are gone permanently. Darrell

Collapse -
hey Darrell
by zzzkatzzzz / February 7, 2010 1:22 AM PST

thanks for mentioning about the recycle bin...i didnt know that was possible. is there anyway to choose certain files to be deleted permanently?

boy this is turning into quite the education! thanks guys!!!
Kat

Collapse -
when ARE files permanently deleted?
by davidwholt / February 8, 2010 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: hey Darrell

One thing I learned recently when using FileShredder
that I had to set it to include (hidden?) folder $Recycle Bin.

Then I shred free disk space to I assume wipe it even "cleaner."

Last step for me in this housekeeping routine is defragging.

Collapse -
thanks David!
by zzzkatzzzz / February 8, 2010 9:56 AM PST

appreciate you explaining this to me.

take care,
Kat

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.