Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What happened to Spyware Doctor Updates?

by benedictkhoojr / January 10, 2006 4:46 AM PST

Everytime i try to update Spyware Doctor, it tells me that my 'database is up to date'. I checked the last time it was updated succesfully and that was 02nd December 2005!

This is the free version which i downloaded and have been using for at least 6 or more months, so i don't believe it is a 1 month trial version. Has Spyware Doctor gone out of business or is it their way of telling me to 'upgrade'?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What happened to Spyware Doctor Updates?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What happened to Spyware Doctor Updates?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you have Spyware Doctor by PCTools, they
by roddy32 / January 10, 2006 7:53 AM PST

are still in business and the website does not say how long the trial is for BUT it DOES say this
Download the latest version of Spyware Doctor and scan your PC for thousands of spyware, adware, and malware threats. Please note the trial version is limited to scan only.
end quote

I says nothing about updates for the Trial version so if you have been using it for that long, maybe it is time to either buy it or uninstall it because it's not doing you much good the way it is.

Collapse -
Spyware Doctor
by t9257 / January 10, 2006 11:28 PM PST

Has the free version of Spyware Doctor been taken away?

Collapse -
Not according to the link
by roddy32 / January 10, 2006 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Spyware Doctor

I supplied in my previous post but according to the PCTools website, the trial version scans only. I don't know if it removes things or not and the realtime protection does not work on the trial version either. You can read everything here.

Collapse -
Try Spybot Search and Destroy
by Graham012 / January 11, 2006 12:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Spyware Doctor Free Version no longer available?
by t9257 / January 11, 2006 6:22 AM PST

What i am referring to is that originally (last year) the free version did in fact remove everything it found. I still have it on my computer, but I told a friend to download it and now it will only scan and not remove anything unless you purchase it. I also notice that as of the New Year the updates don't work anymore on the free version. I do have Spybot and ad-aware but I found that have all 3 worked very well together finding things that the others didn't.

Collapse -
Yes that's the one.....
by benedictkhoojr / January 13, 2006 6:18 PM PST

Ok so im not the only one who noticed! Yes there was a free version that scanned AND removed spyware which as of mid december05/jan06 has stopped updating it's database for the free version as t9275 rightly pointed out.

I have AVG antivirus, spybot, adaware and microsoft antispyware. I can tell you that AVG and spybot have found 1 virus each, ms antispyware none, adaware has found about 4-8 each scan but Spyware Doctor has managed to find the most (about 20 each scan) including TROJAN HORSES which all the others missed. So by far it is (or was) the best free spyware buster i had. I am now contemplating buying the full version. If it wasn't so effective, i wouldn't even bother. However i will try some other trial versions out there and see if they can measure up to SWDoctor first.

Collapse -
You need multiple scanners to
by roddy32 / January 13, 2006 8:14 PM PST

find multiple problems. There is NO ONE program that will find everything. They all look for different things. Another excellent program is ewido. Is has a 14 day trial period but remains free after the 14 days if you don't buy it. All you lose is the process guard and the auto updating but you can still get the updates manually and scan with it,. You can get that here.

ALSO, Your statement of ''Spyware Doctor has managed to find the most (about 20 each scan) including TROJAN HORSES which all the others missed''.

If Spyware Doctor was finding that many, especially if they were Trojans, perhaps you should consider changing your surfing habits.

Collapse -
You R Right....
by benedictkhoojr / January 14, 2006 10:58 PM PST

Hi Roddy32,
Firstly many thanks for the link to ewido anti-malware. I have already used it and after one pass it has discovered 24 infections and cleaned them all out. The only thing i would have preferred is if it could scan the whole pc in one go and then you can choose to remove all infections at the END of the scan. As it is now, everytime it detects ONE infection, it stops the scan completely and awaits instructions to remove/quarantine, etc. If you are away from the PC and come back, it will be there waiting for you to click 'OK' before continuing.

Also, i may have been misunderstood earlier. I said ''Spyware Doctor has managed to find the most (about 20 each scan) including TROJAN HORSES which all the others missed''. I didn't say they were ALL Trojan Horses, but Spyware Doctor manages to nab about 1 or 2 each time. None of the others even spotted Trojan Horses, not even Ewido. I don't scour the less savoury sites for the simple fact that i use my PC for important financial transactions and am paranoid about getting the TH's, thus my preference for SW Doctor.

However, i love the fact that Ewido has managed to detect so many infections and is still free after the trial period! You are right, not one program can detect them all. THanks again for the link, Ewido is now an important part of my antispyware arsenal.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome, Happy computing. :)
by roddy32 / January 15, 2006 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: You R Right....
Collapse -
Spyware Dr difficult to uninstall
by natalia / February 10, 2006 1:01 PM PST

I am getting desperate because I have been trying to uninstall Spyware Doctor for about 5 days, without success. I have e-mailed them twice outlining error messages, but only had an acknowledgement to my first, so far. Also, I close all active pages and files before trying to uninstall, so there shouldn't be any files still in use.

The error messages are as follows,

"File"C:\Programme File\Spyware Doctor\uninsooo dat" could not be opened, cannot install Error 32. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

" Error 5 (Spyware Doctor) Access Denied. Unable to execute file in the temporary directory.

"Spyware Doctor has encourntered a problem and generated an exception report. Please send to PC Tools for further inspection."

I'd be grateful for any tips on how to finally uninstall this programme permanently.

Collapse -
You could try this Natalia
by roddy32 / February 11, 2006 12:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Reply to Roddy - Difficulty in uninstalling Spyware Dr.
by natalia / February 24, 2006 12:43 AM PST

Thanks for your useful suggestion, but unfortunately the link throws up 'This page cannot be Displayed' message.

I got on to Spyware Doctor and after about 5 e-mails from me and a couple from them, finally they seemed to grasp by problem.

One of their advisors suggested I try uninstalling in Safe Mode, which worked. I am not sure about all the probable leftover files in my registry, though!

Collapse -
Sorry about the bad link, I've used
by roddy32 / February 24, 2006 1:45 AM PST

it many many times. They must have closed that website. Anyway, glad you got the problem fixed. Happy

Collapse -
Spyware Doctor update the free version
by byker49 / February 24, 2006 1:55 AM PST

I just updated my "free" version of Spyware Doctor. It will also still remove spyware. I don't know how long this free version works but it seems to me I downloaded it about a year ago. I got this version somewhere on the net but not at the PC Tools site. I can't remember now where I got it. The last update was 982 Kb. It is still one of the better spyware removers along with Spysweeper.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.