Phones forum

General discussion

What happened to plain old cell phones?

by Jane917 / April 2, 2010 10:38 AM PDT

My husband and I are at the end of our 2 year Verizonwireless contract, so today we went to look at new phones. All we require is good sound and the ability to text once in a while. I have an iPod Touch, and don't need a smartphone. We don't want to add data plans to our existing bill, which runs about $83/month. We were pretty disappointed when looking at the store today. The salesman showed us some phones that are compatible with our current plan and don't require extra add-ons, but he said that they are not as good as the phones we have now. We both have Motorola Razrs. I like the LG EnV 3, but they require a data plan, right? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What happened to plain old cell phones?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What happened to plain old cell phones?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Pepe7 / April 2, 2010 3:45 PM PDT

...such basic phones are starting to go the way of the dinosaur. The carriers pay the bills by promoting smartphones w/ data plans, and junk phones w/ messaging plans.

That said, just grab a simple flip phone like the Motorola Entice (W766?) or Nokia 2705. That will work if all you do is talk and text a little. I believe the ENV3 requires a minimum $9.95 data plan, but that information should be visible in the store and on the web site if you try to configure one for a (test) purchase.

OTOH, if you really like your RAZRs, hit craigslist or to see if anyone's offering new in-box/warrantied models.

Collapse -
More research...
by Jane917 / April 3, 2010 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately...

I did a bit more research, and it looks like the new LG Cosmos will be the best phone for us. It works with our current plan and does not require an extra data plan.

Collapse -
I am surprised that...
by Pepe7 / April 4, 2010 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: More research...

...such a flip out QWERTY model would not at least require a $9.95 data plan on top of voice w/ Verizon. Just be careful since by default it will likely be $1.99MB pay per use w/o a data plan. 5MB of downloading would equal the $9.95/month for 25MB feature.

Collapse -
Same Here.
by fondy / April 8, 2010 8:11 AM PDT

I got the Samsung Alias (not the Alias 2). No complaints on sound quality or volume level. The buttons are a little small for texting, but at least it's a full qwerty keyboard. The two-way hinge makes it difficult to open with one hand. Battery life is very good. If you do a lot of dialing by keypad and prefer a nice, big number pad, this isn't the phone for you. As Pepe said, be careful about the data if you don't opt for a package. I wound up with a $2 charge the first month just from checking out the Get It Now feature of the phone.

Collapse -
Maybe go prepaid...
by Turner50 / April 8, 2010 9:52 AM PDT

The only reason to renew your contract with Verizon is to get a sexy new phone, because the monthly fees you pay subsidize the new handset. If you truly like your old phones and they meet your needs, why not try prepaid? You could activate your Razrs on PagePlus, which is an MVNO using the Verizon network, and save money on monthly fees. They have 1200 minutes/1200 texts/50mb data for $29.95/month. You should be able to buy this without taxes and extra fees. I barely use my cell because I have a landline, so on their pay-as-you-go plan, I pay maybe $6/month rather than $40/month on contract. one year savings = 34 x 12 = $408 = much more than a new phone.

Collapse -
Go with Straight Talk
by williamtl3 / April 23, 2011 4:53 AM PDT

Straight Talk, Walmart's 'prepay' service is awesome. It uses the Verizon network. It is $30/1000 minutes per month or $40-$45 for unlimited everything. You can set up automatic billing so you pay month-to-month with no contract. They have several basic phones available. If all you do is talk and text then you are overpaying with Verizon.

Collapse -
by AccessoryGeeks / April 25, 2011 5:46 AM PDT

Most of the Economic style phones are similar to what your are looking for. They are free phones with a 2 year contract.

Most of the economic style phones are flip phones and durable. They do not require a data plan so you would have a basic plan plus text messaging.

These phones are easy to use, plain and simple is another way of saying it.

Collapse -
no data plan + mac compatible calendar
by hipeye01 / April 29, 2011 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: economic

I am also looking for a phone without a data plan as not to replicate the function I have on other devices. Does anyone know of a phone that does not require a data plan, but can sync a calendar with a mac. I don't care what calendar it is (google/ical/other) and am willing to buy/download third party software. My requirements are only
1)does not have extra charge for data plan
2)has a qwerty keyboard (no push 7 five times for "a")
3)can sync some kind of calendar with a calendar on a mac
I am currently a Verizon customer, but at this point would use just about any carrier as long as I could find a phone that meets my needs. Does such a phone exist?

Collapse -
plain phone, easy to use
by ahkwahah / July 2, 2011 4:33 AM PDT
Laugh I have a family plan with AT&T, my new phone will be a smartphone; but my son likes the plain phone, so he uses the Pantech Breeze....his new one will be the same except will be the Pantech Breeze II; now the
grandson's new one ?? It will NOT be a smartphone I am stilling trolling for him......He texts a lot, so any suggestions for him, that are Not smartphones?????? HELP ! Confused
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.