The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What happened to every other 3G phone?

by greygabe / July 16, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

With the release of the IPhone 3G - you'd think that 3G itself was just invented! I've personally had lots of fun beating proud new IPhone 3G owners in website races using the Skyfire beta browser on my year old phone (At&t 8525). Haven't lost to any other mobile phone yet...
Many say - but the IPhone is so easy to use! - I've been passing around my phone to the non-tech savvy for a while now with no complaints...

Any other non-cult - I mean IPhone 3G - phone owners that are more then happy with what they have already?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What happened to every other 3G phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What happened to every other 3G phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Tilt is great
by Metalchurch98 / July 17, 2008 6:28 AM PDT

Great keyboard, very good for taking extensive notes, the GPS with real navigation software works very well, and the 3G is actually useful - I can download buzzoutloud on the go in only a few minutes, and I can tether my laptop, both of which the iPhone cant even dream of.

Collapse -
3G + Safari
by Nicholas Buenk / July 17, 2008 8:07 PM PDT

= win

Collapse -
3G + Safari
by Metalchurch98 / July 17, 2008 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: 3G + Safari

Yes, with 3G on the iPhone, I can finally download podcasts like buzz out loud directly - oh sorry, I cant.

With 3G on the iPhone I can finally download documents directly to local storage - og sorry I cant.

With 3G on the iPhone I can now surf all day at great speed - Oh sorry, I cant, because then the battery dies half-way thought the day, is not replaceable, and does not come with an extended version.

With 3 G on the iPhone I can finally view flash-heavy sites with ease - Oh Sorry I cant.

With 3G on the iPhone, the iPhone wins - Oh sorry, it actually does not.

Collapse -
Well..
by Nicholas Buenk / July 17, 2008 8:47 PM PDT

BOL will play right off cnet's site on the iPhone.
It has a document viewer, although yes it won't download them directly.
At least it'll charge off USB. Wink
Flash is usually used for adverts. And all it's animation just wastes battery life. All I really want is to be able to play flash videos.

Collapse -
iPhone FTL
by Metalchurch98 / July 17, 2008 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Well..

BOL will play right off cnet's site on the iPhone.
It has a document viewer, although yes it won't download them directly.
At least it'll charge off USB.
----------------------------------

So you bought an iPhone to be tethered to your laptop, charging all day?

And streaming BOL wont work so well when you are flying, or even traveling rapidly by car or train.

When you graduate from your kindergarten phone you should look at a device that gives you real options, you know, like cutting and pasting.

Collapse -
Ha
by Nicholas Buenk / July 17, 2008 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: iPhone FTL

It'll actually play BOL in any event, I'm sure they'll add podcast syncing eventually though.
Ahh.... if streaming is not going to work in an aircraft, neither will downloading. Silly
Cutting and pasting would be nice, but it's not as important on a phone as a desktop. Although it would certainly help with IM and email for giving people links.

Kindergarten phone? Does your phone have BSD and a unix terminal?
http://www.modmyifone.com/nativeapps/mobile-terminal-vt100/
Of course to do all the cool stuff like this you need to jailbreak it, damn appstore restrictions.

Collapse -
PS
by Nicholas Buenk / July 17, 2008 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Ha
Collapse -
download vs streaming
by Metalchurch98 / July 17, 2008 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Ha

>It'll actually play BOL in any event, I'm sure they'll add podcast syncing eventually though.
>Ahh.... if streaming is not going to work in an aircraft, neither will downloading. Silly
-------------------------------

While I'm transferring between flights I can download the podcast in 5 minutes, while you will have to miss your flight to wait for the streaming to end.

Streaming and mobile use do not go together very well.

>Kindergarten phone? Does your phone have BSD and a unix terminal?

Your phone does not have it either. Anyone can install an SSH client on any smartphone.

My phone has bluetooth FTP support, meaning after I pair with a vista computer I can transfer files wirelessly to it without any further setup. No hacking or 3rd party software required.

Call me back when the iPhone gets a full bluetooth stack.

Collapse -
Ohh...
by Nicholas Buenk / July 18, 2008 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: download vs streaming

There are some streaming apps already, people say they work well over 3G.

That's not SSH btw. That is unix running on the phone. Remember iPhone is running a cut down OS X which is a unix OS. This makes it a real geek toy once you jailbreak it and put unix software on it.
I mean, how cool is that, running vi, emacs, irssi etc in your pocket.

Yeah I'd love a full bluetooth stack, bluetooth is near useless they could have easily left it out and lost little.

Collapse -
Flash is just for ads?
by greygabe / July 17, 2008 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Well..

I happen to like going to the REAL YouTube without having to have a separate app. As far as I know - that's flash without being just an ad...

How about like half of facebook not working on the IPhone - and you don't even have the ability to visit REAL facebook...

Listening to BOL off the website would use 10X more battery then a download.

And I don't know what your talking about with USB. I charge USB all the time on my phone. My USB connection is much nicer though - just normal USB-B mini. The same cord I use to charge my mp3 player, use my portable HD, charge my brother's phone, charge my wireless mouse, and connect like 10 other things is the same one I use to charge my phone. Makes traveling a heck of a lot easier.

Collapse -
Actually
by Nicholas Buenk / July 17, 2008 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Flash is just for ads?

Full facebook does work.
You just go down the page and click on regular facebook. Silly

Didn't you read what I said though? I'd like to be able to view flash videos. But I don't really think flash does much else that useful other than video except for wasting battery life. Wink

Collapse -
a reply!
by greygabe / July 18, 2008 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually

ahh - didn't see that actually, I was running out the door when I wrote that. I do believe flash is for more then just ads though.

As far as Facebook on the IPhone - yes there is a link to full Facebook and it mostly works, but a ton of apps designed for Facebook just don't work at all. Every single app works flawlessly with the skyfire browser.

Collapse -
32 GB?
by skellener / July 18, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: a reply!

Personally I'm not looking for a 'smartphone'. But what I would like is an iPod that I can answer a call on. When the iPhone hits 32GB I'll be interested. Not for the touch screen (the virtual keyboard is the worst thing about the iPhone), not for the 3G, not for Safari-internet connectivity. Just for the simple fact that it is an iPod. I don't want a data plan. I don't care about it. I use my iPod much more than my cellphone. When I can hold all my media (pictures, music, videos) on one device AND answer a call, that will win my vote. I'm sure we'll see a 32GB iPhone in 2009.

Collapse -
I agree
by Nicholas Buenk / July 18, 2008 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: 32 GB?

That's Apple's main market, really, iPod users who want internet as well.
What I really want is 64GB, but I'm not that patient.

Collapse -
I predict 32 and 64 GB versions by next summer.
by minimalist / July 18, 2008 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

That is when I will upgrade my 1st Gen iPhone. In the meantime I have the 2.0 firmware upgrade and it does everything I want to do very nicely.

Collapse -
(NT) 3G + Opera Mobile > 3G + Safari ;)
by robstak / July 20, 2008 12:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
The ATT 8525 verses the Iphone
by Father Time4 / July 18, 2008 5:54 PM PDT

I have an 8525 phone and the screen went bad, I have been woundering what I should do... the tilt verses the Iphone.. I had to upgrade. I took the tilt because I'm used to the computer like phone. its awsome. but then I thought about it and went and got the Iphone. so we will see... The only thing that I really dont like, is I had to trade off is the key board. I love the key board. but I like the big screen on the iphone. and all that it can do as an I pod so we will see.
I just wished my phone would have waited to die.. i really wanted the HTC PRO now thats a really awsome phone. or the nokia n95 is good too. but I honestly dont know who carries it..

Collapse -
Help me decide...iPhone or stay with my 8525
by crabitha / July 19, 2008 11:16 PM PDT

I admit I was somewhat smug when my sister (who works for Apple) and I were trying to find directions in Seattle and my 8525 3G phone was sooo much faster than her old iPhone. So when iPhone came out with the new 3G phone I started thinking of getting one.

I like the way the iPhone looks. I like the way you can make the screen bigger.

But I love the keyboard on my 8525 phone and it has been 3G all along. It is almost two years old and (knock wood) I've never had any problems with it.

Here is my dilemma: I am having to synch my 8525 with my husband's WinXP computer because I have an iMac. So it seems it would be a lot easier to have an iPhone and sync it with my own computer. BUT....I am concerned about the keyboard on the iPhone. I do a lot of text messaging. And I take notes.

Any suggestions of things to think about?

Collapse -
I moved to noniphone touch screen typing..
by robstak / July 20, 2008 12:12 AM PDT

and i was VERRRY nervous, believe me. BUT in the end im pretty happy. i have fat thumbs and was intimidated, but after some practice (took about 3 or 4 days, Im just about as fast as i used to be with a hard keyboard. not AS fast, but close, anyone that says they can type faster is full of crap, but id say it's an acceptable trade-off to have a better phone. i have the htc touch now, and i love it. what'd be nice is a clip on keyboard for serious typing, but ive defiantely been where you were and am definately happy i made the plunge... just MHO Happy

-karl

Collapse -
re: I moved to noniphone touch screen
by crabitha / July 20, 2008 1:21 AM PDT

Thanks for your input though you are describing the phone i already have except that it has the touch screen keyboard.

A lot of people have also mentioned they wanted an iPod that was also a phone. I don't understand that sort of reasoning but hey, whatever works for the individual.

I love my iPod and I want to keep it an isolated music storage unit and don't want a phone messing it up.

Collapse -
but isnt the point about having a touch screen keyboard?
by robstak / July 20, 2008 6:17 AM PDT

i thought that was what you were asking about, no?

Collapse -
2 things.
by robstak / July 20, 2008 12:14 AM PDT

1. to existiing iphone users (The millions) this IS a big deal.

2. apple spin + naive consumer base = hype

3. fanbois suck.

Collapse -
re: 2 thins.
by crabitha / July 20, 2008 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 things.

You wrote:
"1. to existiing iphone users (The millions) this IS a big deal.

2. apple spin + naive consumer base = hype

3. fanbois suck."

I have no idea what you mean by any of that. I'm not sure if you are saying that the 3G is a big deal or that it's just "apple spin".

My son has been very irritated with me for over a year because he wanted an iPhone and I wouldn't get him one and I kept telling him that he would be better off with a 3G phone. He kept telling me that "Nobody cares about 3G but YOU."
I tried to explain to him why 3G is better (if you live in a 3G network area and use the internet a lot). My 3G HTC Cingular 8525 Windows 6 mobile against a non-3G iPhone made the iPhone look like dial up compared to my DSL. But of course my 21 year old son is drawn by the sleek and cool look of the iPhone.

Now that the iPhone is a 3G phone I'm trying to figure out whether I should get one when it's time to upgrade my phone.

A couple of people have mentioned that you can sync your 8525 with your PC through blue tooth but I've never done that, I find it easiest to just plug it in to the USB port. Also, people have mentioned that you can connect your pc to the internet using the 8525 if you don't have internet connection. I find that a cool feature but I've never used that either.

I guess what it boils down to for me is this:

The PROS for iPhone:

With the iPhone, it's apparently easy to send email. With my 8525 it's a huge hassle unless I use webmail.

I could sync the iPhone to my iMac instead of syncing my 8525 WinMobile 6 to my husband's 3 year old PC.

The PROS for keeping my 8525 WinMobile 6 phone:

The Keyboard is much much more functional for me.

It's already paid for.

I use the storage card in my 8525 a lot and the iPhone doesn't have that.

One of the things I've found very useful with my 8525 Bluetooth device is the ability to transfer pictures, etc. from other phones we own to my phone...I'm not sure if you can do that with the iPhone. Does anybody know?

Collapse -
iPhone vs 8525
by Metalchurch98 / July 20, 2008 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: re: 2 thins.

>With the iPhone, it's apparently easy to send email. With my 8525 it's a huge hassle unless I use webmail.

How is this? Doesnt the 8525 have an e-mail button? Once set up, cant you just press the e-mail button, choose New E-mail and start typing?

>One of the things I've found very useful with my 8525 Bluetooth device is the ability to transfer pictures, etc. from other phones we own to my phone...I'm not sure if you can do that with the iPhone. Does anybody know?

No, you cant beam files via bluetooth on the iPhone.

Collapse -
well...
by robstak / July 20, 2008 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: re: 2 thins.

first of all i meant to post that in reply to the original post. sorry, but to address your post...

im sorry if my post was confusing, not sure how to explain it any better tho, its prolly cuz the post was misplaced.

syncing via bluetooth is as easy as clicking menu - connect via bluetooth, pretty easy. dont have to find your cable.

tethering is a bit more tricky depending on your service provider, but you can do it for free with all of them if you just follow some online tutorials anyone can do in a couple minutes.

email in winmo is exactly the same as iphone. dont you use outlook??

you can sync your winmo phone with a mac. google returns over a million hits: http://www.google.com/search?q=sync+windows+mobile+with+mac&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS

they are both good phones. i very seriously considered a 3G iphone, but i dont want ATT it sucks here in albany, also i want MMS and cut and paste, tethering, and beaming. most important is tethering... until i get that, the iphone can kiss my ****. lol.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.