Windows 7

General discussion

WHAT HAPPENED TO ctL/alt/delete in win 7 premium home versio

by palsdad1946 / April 18, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

WHEN I USED crl/alt/delete IT SHUT DOWN MY COMPUTER. WHEN ALL I WANTED WAS TO CLOSE LOCKED UP PROGRAM. THIS WORKED GREAT ON ALL PAST WINDOWSA

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHAT HAPPENED TO ctL/alt/delete in win 7 premium home versio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHAT HAPPENED TO ctL/alt/delete in win 7 premium home versio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ctrl atl delete is now......
by Helen25 / April 18, 2010 7:51 AM PDT

Ctrl - Shift - Esc or right click an empty space on the task bar and select start task manager.

Collapse -
THANKS ALL FOR HELPING ME
by palsdad1946 / April 18, 2010 10:55 AM PDT

I USE CAPS TO GET ATTENTION NOT BECAUSE IT'S STUCK.
THANKS ALL FOR HELPING ME. dennis

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / April 18, 2010 11:24 AM PDT

Well, it works in that it annoys the crap out of most people... Myself included. So, if the goal is to drive people AWAY from your posts, then job well done. Using all caps is fine if you want to add EMPHASIS to a SPECIFIC WORD OR PHRASE, but it just gets REALLY ANNOYING WHEN IT'S THE ONLY WAY PEOPLE TALK. IT ALSO PROMPTS PEOPLE TO MAKE SNARKY COMMENTS ABOUT HAVING A STUCK CAPS LOCK KEY INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON YOUR PROBLEM. Though I have to give you credit for getting the joke. Sadly, all too many people don't. So I would kindly ask that in the future you speak like a normal person, using a mix of lower and uppercase letters.

Collapse -
Ctrl alt delete is now
by Helen25 / April 18, 2010 7:59 AM PDT

Ctrl shift and esc. Or you can left click an empty space on the task bar and select start task manager.

Collapse -
A better question

A better question is what happened to your keyboard. It looks like it has a stuck caps lock key, but then you managed to make a few things in lower case. Seems much more interesting.

Collapse -
Ctrl-alt-del
by kedscnet / April 19, 2010 1:03 AM PDT

It should get you to a screen that allows shutting down, switching users, Task Manager, etc. You have a problem somewhere. If this has just started, Restore to a date before the problem. Also try SFC to repair any damages OS programs.

Collapse -
Huh
by msgale / April 23, 2010 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Ctrl-alt-del

Some place they have been since DOS 1.0 CTL-ALT-Del actually sends a special signal to the CPU, it is part of the fundemental PC design

Collapse -
Check your system
by gunnerds / April 23, 2010 11:15 AM PDT

CRTL-ALT-DELETE works fine on my Win 7 machine.

Collapse -
Win7 Controls: Ctrl+Alt+Del --- Try instead...
by kleczerx / April 23, 2010 11:50 AM PDT

Win7 Controls: Ctrl+Alt+Del... you can also use --

Instead try instead: Ctrl+ Shift + Esc.. Doing this bypasses the login window and presents the Windows Task Manager window directly. Here you can view applications, processes, services and performance graphs. Also, you can either logout as a user OR proceed to shut-down your workstation.

Collapse -
You have a problem...
by FiOS-Dave / April 23, 2010 12:08 PM PDT

Ctrl/Alt/Del works fine in Win7. Why do you want to use it?
If it is to bring up the Task Manager, fine, but you can do that as indicated in other posts, or you can make a shortcut on the desktop so it only takes one click (create a shortcut using C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe).
I hope you are using a legal copy since an illegal copy may have been hacked.
If it worked at one time, see if you can do a restore to a point where it did wotk.

Collapse -
I AGREE WITH THIS ANSWER
by jeanette1blubabe / April 23, 2010 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: You have a problem...

Also,It should not shut down your pc; Have that checked out.

Collapse -
Works just fine with Window 7 Home Premium
by Dango517 / April 23, 2010 5:03 PM PDT

I just tried it.

Collapse -
Cntrl/alt/del
by ThunderSon01 / April 24, 2010 12:17 AM PDT

it is still there , make sure you DONT double click , or it will shut your computer down ! it is single click for manager etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.