Mac Hardware forum

Resolved Question

What happen? Where did it go?

by hoo808sier / March 13, 2012 6:05 AM PDT

I wanted to install Snow Leopard to my iMac5,1 10.4.11. I installed Carbon Copy Cloner for backup. Before this I had Airport connection via Belkin router. Now I don't have wireless connection. During Network Diagnostics, Network Status shows Airport is green, Airport and Network Settings are red. ISP, Internet and Server are green.. Maybe because I have Ethernet cable hooked up. If I unhook ethernet ISP, Internet Server will be red. My niece installed Runner Road with Netgear Router. I used her name and Password. I install a router from Monoprice. The results were the same no connection. In Network window Airport says it's turned on but not connected to network. It doesn't have an IP address. Where do I find that? NOW, for the questions: WHAT HAPPEN? WHERE DID IT GO? Thank you for reading this long story.

hoo808sier has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What happen? Where did it go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What happen? Where did it go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by hoo808sier

Collapse -
I've asked for this to be moved into the Mac forum
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2012 8:29 AM PDT

I suspect you will get a better response there.

Meanwhile, Road Runner is not something you install.

It sound suspiciously like your Belkin router is no longer working correctly. Try this:
unplug the power from the Modem AND the Belkin router AND shut down your iMac.
Plugn the Modem and when all the lights have come on correctly, plug in the Router (ditto with the lights) and then firing up your iMac?

I think CCC is a red herring.

Collapse -
(NT) FYI thread moved to Mac Hardware forum
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 16, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
What happen
by hoo808sier / March 16, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

mrmacfixit I tried that. Nothing. Modem lights on, router lights on (blue lights above WLAN & WAN what does that mean?). Airport, Airport Settings green. Network settings yellow. ISP,INTERNET & SERVER red. Network pop-up for Airport has blue lighted message: "Airport is connected to network Wireless - N. Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may be not connected to the Internet. I returned ethernet cable to iMac it's all green. My modem is working.

Collapse -
Blue lights are good,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2012 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: What happen

but for some reason you iMac airport is not getting the right information from the Wireless router.
Does your wireless network have any security on it?
If it does, then turn it off and see if you can connect and get all the green lights.

Connecting an ethernet cable to the iMac and getting all green lights indicates that the Wired portion of the Router is working correctly and that you can connect to your ISP and on to the internet.

Do you know what the name of your wireless network is?
When you click on the Airport icon in the menu bar, do you see a padlock next to your network name?

Collapse -
Just had a thought,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2012 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Blue lights are good,

I note that 3 different routers have been in play here.
Which one are you using now and has it been configured correctly?

Collapse -
What happen?
by hoo808sier / March 17, 2012 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Just had a thought,

The history of the 3 routers. The Belkin's was hooked up with the Mac when I bought it it in 2007. Everything was okay even after we moved to another neighborhood. Maybe the problem of no connection from the Belkin it was dropped a few times. So I tossed it away. Bought Winstar router from Monoprice. In the specifications it says OS Compatibility Windows 95 & later, Mac OS X 10.0.x and later. Systems Requirements: Internet Browser (Internet Explorer) In Quick guide it had a Windows web site for reference that's probably the problem there. I keep enter my niece's name and password after she gave it to me and it still denies me. She has Netgear.

Collapse -
What happen?
by hoo808sier / March 17, 2012 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: What happen?

I forgot to add this. My sister-in-law, my niece's mother, and my son have connection on their iPhones. My son's girlfriend tried to connect to the router with her Macbook. Nothing. My son even stood in front of the router with the laptop.

Collapse -
See previous answer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 18, 2012 12:34 AM PDT

Let's stick with one Router.

Collapse -
A router is usually platform agnostic
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 18, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

Not sure what a "Windows web site" is but almost all routers have a built in web page interface that can be accessed, on a Mac, by using Safari or Firefox.

The url used depends on the make of the router, in your case the url is on the Winstar Router

I assume that you are able to access the Router and view the configuration. Is that correct?

Again, is there security on the wireless network? If there is, turn it off and see if you can connect then.

Again, what Router are you currently trying to use?

Your niece's name and password has nothing to do with connectivity but probably a lot to do with accessing her Belkin Router.

Collapse -
What happen? #10
by hoo808sier / March 20, 2012 2:01 PM PDT

I contacted Monoprice and they about the settings. I can't log on to the website to correct the settings.

Collapse -
(NT) What happen #12. RESOLVED!
by hoo808sier / March 20, 2012 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: What happen? #10
Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 10:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
by hoo808sier / March 21, 2012 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: HOW?

Concerning my niece's router, a Netgear, I received the correct password. Now it works very well. As for the Monoprice router, Winstar, they sent me instructions for resetting the router. However mrmacfixit, I do appreciate your expertise and patience in this matter.

Collapse -
Surprising how the use of the correct password
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: HOW?

cures a whole world of problems.
Glad you finally got it fixed

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.