The CNET Lounge

General discussion

What gets under your skin about other drivers?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / May 30, 2006 7:48 AM PDT

What's the one thing that gets under your skin about other drivers, and do you have a name for those people? Please be considerate of other members and keep your responses civil.

Talking on cell phones
Slow drivers in the fast lane
Drivers who tailgate
Drivers who weave through lanes just to move up a little
Drivers who move up to keep you from changing lanes
Lane changers who don't signal
Drivers with road rage
Motorcyclists who drive between cars
Drivers who are grooming (makeup, shaving, combing hair)
Other (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What gets under your skin about other drivers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What gets under your skin about other drivers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slow drivers in the fast lane......................
by kateyandsarahsdad / May 30, 2006 2:16 PM PDT

or generally just drivers who do NOT keep up with the flow of traffic, regardless of which lane they choose to be in!

I've often wanted to ask a "highway patrol-person", which is MORE dangerous (not unlawful), a "fast car in the fast lane" or a "slow car in the FAST lane"? Seems to be a no-brainer to me, but I think you'd eliminate a good percentage of road rage if those "not keeping with the flow" would stay as FAR to the right as they can.........any maybe even stay the f*@k off the road entirely! In my opinion, they are "accidents waiting to happen", they make the highways and road unsafe AND, for economic reasons, for all the stop and go they cause, it's a curse of all of our gas milage, too!

Collapse -
Slow Drivers in the fast lane
by lloko / May 30, 2006 3:13 PM PDT

You couldn't have said it better or more to the point!

Collapse -
Driving pet peeves
by mjncad / May 30, 2006 3:33 PM PDT

1. Idiots on cell phones! Either "hang up & drive," or "park & talk!" I refuse to yak & drive on the cell phone.

2. InDUHviduals who do everything (e.g. makeup, read, shave, eat, drink, smoke, have sex, etc) in their car while driving except operate their vehicle.

3. Blasted Mexicans who think its cool to drive 10+ MPH under the speed limit to purposely impede traffic.

4. The self important types who think its cool to speed, weave in and out, tailgate, etc in heavy traffic.

5. Red light runners.

6. Idiot pedestrians yakking on cell phones who are oblivious to their surroundings.

7. Schmucks who can't park properly...namely the ones that park so close to you they either ding your door or you have to crawl in from the passenger side to get in your car.

8. Jerks who won't tie down their loads. I've dodged ladders, furniture, lumber, mufflers, PVC fence & pipe, HVAC parts, etc.

9. SUV's and Minivans...the soccer moms are a menace on the road because they try to discipline little Johnny or Janey while driving.

10. Drive throughs of any kind (e.g. banks, fast food Starbux, etc).

Collapse -
Be Happy if a "Mexican" Drives Slowly
by artzy / May 30, 2006 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Driving pet peeves

In my State, New Jersey, It is a well known fact that illegal aliens are uninsured and driving with false, or no, credentials. If you get hit by one of them you can can have a very big problem. They just run away. At least a slow driving "Mexican" shows some respect for the rest of us and wants to stay out of trouble.

Collapse -
Slo-o-o-o-w driving Mexicans.
by mjncad / June 2, 2006 3:21 PM PDT

I live in Colorado and we are infested with Mexicans driving without licenses and insurance who head back south after they clobber someone. I don't know about New Jersey; but the Mexicans (especially the under 30 crowd) out here love to drive slow to piss off everyone else on the road.

Collapse -
Re:Be Happy if a "Mexican" Drives Slowly
by wurten / June 4, 2006 1:49 AM PDT

That's how it works in Florida too! They are always the slow drivers.

Collapse -
Slow Driving Mexicans
by celtmaiden / June 6, 2006 4:51 PM PDT

They aren't driving slow to stay out of trouble. When you get stuck behind them, look at your speedometer. You are driving what in Mexico, would be the equivalent. They are driving "55 KILOMETERS per hour". Slow moving traffic on the Parkway or Turnpike can be deadly. I for one try to avoid those people. Living most of the time in Arizona, and getting to deal with them on a daily basis, they scare the heck out of me. Some fool cruising along at 45mph in an area rated for 75mph can get really ugly, messy, and deadly. Here, we know the difference, and try to stay away from them. Partly because they normally have 25 bodies packed into that Sentra.

Collapse -
Mexican taxis and speed limits
by mjncad / June 7, 2006 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Slow Driving Mexicans

Some of the Mexicans in Colorado think the speed limits are set in KPH instead of MPH; but if the car is equipped with a dusl readout speedometer intended for the US market, then the larger numbers should be a clue to these people those are the numbers to be used for gauging speed.

However, there are plenty of Mexicans who drive slow to purposely impede traffic. You can see the big grins on their faces when you finally can pass them.

Anytime I see a beat up 4-door sedan with a bunch of guys wearing ball caps, I do my best to steer clear of them because its a Mexican taxi hauling them to the next day labor job. If the car doesn't fall apart, then it's a matter of time before the driver rolls the thing because its overloaded.

Collapse -
driving pet peeves
by pansy / June 4, 2006 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Driving pet peeves

The thing I hate the most is a driver who has to pass you exceeding the speed limit and then pull into a driveway not far from where he passed. Idiots

Collapse -
The fast people are just as much to blam
by aka_tripleB / May 30, 2006 3:36 PM PDT

While the fast people are less of a danger on the road, they are still a problem. It's not that the slow are traveling slow, the people traveling fast aren't paying enough attention to the slow people and will hit them.

Collapse -
STAY TO THE RIGHT
by melrnh / May 30, 2006 8:41 PM PDT

I live in Europe much of the time. If you are in Italy or Germany,you better stay to the right. The Autobahn is a safe Highway. They have a law you must stay to the right. Passing on the right is a serious traffic violation.

The mentality in the US is we have 5 lanes - I choose my lane, and I am going to stay there regardless of whether I am driving faster than the cars on my right. I always say if you are not passing cars to your right - YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM...even if you would prefer to drive faster. It is not a single car in the left lane causing the problem, it is all the cars in the left lane that are not passing the cars on their right. Move over. Maybe if you flash your lights to the car on the left, they will get the message. If they don't move to the right. Stay there until you can pass.

Collapse -
Can't stay to the right
by roadbase / May 30, 2006 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: STAY TO THE RIGHT

In Europe, cars and gas are so expensive that there are not a lot of cars on the road. If we stayed to the right, there would be no room to get on the road. We have so many cars that the only rule is "if a piece of pavement is empty, put a car on it".

Collapse -
Europe
by SantiagoCrespo / June 3, 2006 1:53 PM PDT

What you posted is just wrong, In Spain, for instance, every lane has a different minimum speed, and the rule is STAY ON THE RIGHT LANE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. and only use the left lane for passing.

Collapse -
Peoples pet peeves
by trcobble / June 9, 2006 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Europe

One topic that should be included in this poll is "Drivers that speed!"

My wife and I lived in Europe for over 16 years and I moved to the U.S. less than two years ago.

We find that most Europeans observe the driving codes and many many Americans do not.... even driving in Europe. Don't get me wrong; I'm not beating a drum that the Europeans are saints when it comes to driving (they receive their share of speeding tickets) but Many Americans go to Europe believing that there are no speed limits which is false. Then some of them are really surprised when they receive a traffic fine through the mail. The Europeans speed safely while still observing basic rules of safe driving. The Germans really value their driving privileges because in order to get a drivers license they will go through two or three months (or more) of classes learning the mechanics of their auto and how everything works. First Aid and CPR are also included in their driving courses. After they have spent all that time and money (about $2000.00 to $3000.00) they are then issued a license. Many people in America get their license for next to nothing. Then they drive like they never read the drivers code manual. But, it not their fault (some claim). Since we have been living here in the States I have witnessed several State Troopers, City Police,
& Sherriffs/Deputys: Speeding; Failing to signal when turning; Improper use of lanes; Rushing the yellow caution lights to make the intersection before the RED light comes on.

With examples like that, it is no wonder that the civilian locals drive so bad.

We have come close to being hit or run off the road by people who consistently disobey the drivers code (exceed the speed limits; get upset when another driver actually stops before the red light comes on instead of speeding up to beat it when the light has been yellow or has just turned red; road rage speeding knukleheads really get upset when they do not get their way on the road; using the oposite turn signal from the direction they turn; passing anyway and anywhere they can; driving without lights when they should be using them.

Just recently reported over the local news, a driver was beatup because he stopped at an intersection where the caution (yellow) light had been on for a few seconds but the guy behind him became inraged because he stopped and did not drive on through the light.

Too bad they don't revolk licenses for consistently bad driving.

As for a name for these people?? They're ind

Collapse -
Peoples pet peeves
by trcobble / June 9, 2006 6:10 AM PDT

One topic that should be included in this poll is "Drivers that speed!"

My wife and I lived in Europe for over 16 years and I moved to the U.S. less than two years ago.

We find that most Europeans observe the driving codes and many many Americans do not.... even driving in Europe. Don't get me wrong; I'm not beating a drum that the Europeans are saints when it comes to driving (they receive their share of speeding tickets) but Many Americans go to Europe believing that there are no speed limits which is false. Then some of them are really surprised when they receive a traffic fine through the mail. The Europeans speed safely while still observing basic rules of safe driving. The Germans really value their driving privileges because in order to get a drivers license they will go through two or three months (or more) of classes learning the mechanics of their auto and how everything works. First Aid and CPR are also included in their driving courses. After they have spent all that time and money (about $2000.00 to $3000.00) they are then issued a license. Many people in America get their license for next to nothing. Then they drive like they never read the drivers code manual. But, it not their fault (some claim). Since we have been living here in the States I have witnessed several State Troopers, City Police,
& Sherriffs/Deputys: Speeding; Failing to signal when turning; Improper use of lanes; Rushing the yellow caution lights to make the intersection before the RED light comes on.

We have come close to being hit or run off the road by people who consistently disobey the drivers code (exceed the speed limits; get upset when another driver actually stops before the red light comes on instead of speeding up to beat it when the light has been yellow or has just turned red; road rage speeding knukleheads really get upset when they do not get their way on the road; using the oposite turn signal from the direction they turn; passing anyway and anywhere they can; driving without lights when they should be using them.

Just recently reported over the local news, a driver was beatup because he stopped at an intersection where the caution (yellow) light had been on for a few seconds but the guy behind him became inraged because he stopped and did not drive on through the light.

As for a name for these people?? They're indescribable. It is like they put their brain in Park after they received their driving license.

Collapse -
Driving Pet Peeves
by trcobble / June 9, 2006 6:12 AM PDT

One topic that should be included in this poll is ''Drivers that speed!''

As for a name for these people?? They're indescribable. It is like they put their brain in Park after they received their driving license.

Collapse -
Agree
by blueknight06 / June 4, 2006 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: STAY TO THE RIGHT

I agree with you. Some States have passed similar laws (Illinois, for example) but it is not uniform across the US and it may not be strictly enforced (which is another problem.)

Another common misconception is that there is no speed limit on the Autobahn. It is true that some stretches do not have a posted limit, but in cities, in tunnels, and some areas with limited visibility like hills and curves do have posted speed limits that are enforced.

Collapse -
Whatever.................
by kateyandsarahsdad / May 31, 2006 12:55 PM PDT

......I'd rather be a "moving target" than a "siting duck" but most of all, I'd rather stay ALIVE! I do this by driving defensively, keeping up with the flow/driving as fast, as it is, safe, and avoiding as much as possible, "accidents that are waiting to happen", meaning SLOOOOOOOOW drivers that are too stupid and/or inconsiderate of the fact they are not only endangering themselves, but everyone else on the road with them at the same time!

Collapse -
The fast people are just as much to blam
by othomo4 / June 1, 2006 5:03 AM PDT

Unfortunately many senior drivers resent fast moving traffic and often wonder why people tail gate them and pass them on the wrong side. I observe yound and old drivers in the passing lane without ever looking in their rear view mirrow to observe all the traffic that is backing up behind them. There are those that will drive the legal speed limit in the passing lane in an attempt to prohibit others from speeding and then wonder why they are cut off, tail gated and create road rage. Just move out of the passing lane and you won't have to worry about others going to fast for your comfort zone.

I have observed emergency vehicles with their lights flashing and sirens on in the passing lane and often it is the senior drivers that refuse to move out of the passing lane due to their poor hearing or not being aware of the traffice behind them as they often neglect to view their rear view mirrows in a timely fashion.

If you are not passing anyone, just get out of the passing lane so other can pass in the lane it is intended for all to drive safely. After you pass a slow moving person, return to the middle lane or the slow lane as many senior drivers should stay in for obvious reasons. When you stay in the passing lane with traffic stacking up behind you, you cause tail gating, being cut off constantly, and automatic road rage that can easily be avoided by just moving out of the passing lane. To bad most Simi-Truck drivers, older drivers and Texas Aggies do not understand the simple rules of the road that makes traffice flow easier on our highways and freeways in Texas.

Collapse -
There's a secret group that these people belong to...
by MadMax2000 / June 2, 2006 6:26 AM PDT

...you know the ones who feel that because the posted speed limit is 65mph, regardless of the fact that the general flow of traffic is 75mph, they have the right to sit in the left lane at 55mph - clinging to a warped sense of traffic law enforcement, these people represent the "Anti-Destination League". Forcing normally safety concious, law abiding citizens into a frenzy of dangerous right lane passing and excessive lane changing!

Collapse -
There outta be a law ...
by warprints / May 30, 2006 11:37 PM PDT

In Louisiana there is actually a law that says it's illegal to impede the flow of traffic. This is true even if the flow is going slightly above the speed limit. Is it enforced? Of course not.

Collapse -
I agree but...
by bstoringer / May 31, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

How fast should the fast lane be? I can be going 25 mph over the speed limit and there will still be some psycho, all crazed because I won't move over for them. Then they either tailgate you or weave in and out between lanes, sometimes going over 2 or 3 lanes just to get in front of me. There needs to be a limit as to how fast you can go in the fast lane. There are still speed laws and reaction time is greatly diminished when these idiots feel they need to go as fast as their car will drive.

If you want to drive slow, definitely stay to the right. But if you feel you have to drive 90 in a 55, don't get mad at me because I won't move over for you. I go with the flow of traffic, but it's just as dangerous if not more so with the people who feel they must go even faster than "the flow".

Collapse -
Refuse to move out of the Passing Lane are idiots!
by othomo4 / June 2, 2006 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree but...

This type of opinion expressed by this individual is the reason why so many accidents occur,when you refuse to move over in the passing lane because you want to enforce the speed limit, you cause idiots to react to your unsafe driving habits by tailgating and forcing other drivers to change lanes to go around the few drivers that refuse to move over to the slower lane when being tailgated. Try to demonstrate a little bit of common sense and move to a slower lane to allow a speeder to get his or her speeding ticket without endangering the rest of us in the slower lanes that drive safely.

It doesn't matter if you are driving at the legal speed limit when you are blocking the passing lane, you are just as much at fault for causing tailgating and road rage due to your poor driving habits on trying to force other drivers to drive behind you with your version of traffic flow. Just check you mirrow to see how many cars are stacked up behind you in the passing lane

With you mentality I doubt that you will ever realize why so many drivers become mad at your driving habits for making them drive with your version of traffic flow in the passing lane. If you really want to drive friendly without making other drivers mad by tailgating you, cutting you off when they finally get a chance to pass you slow moving vehicle in the passing late, just do one simple task and move out of the passing lane and make everyone happy and allow them to pass in the correct lane get their speeding ticket. It is really sad that more individuals like you do not get tickets for impeding traffic in the passing lane as many state laws provide for. Lets hope you grow up some day and become a courteous driver to others that want to pass you in the correct lane it is designed for and make all of us happier without being a witness to road rage caused by your selfish driving habits.

Collapse -
Grandma and Grandpa out for a Sunday drive (on wed)
by raclapp / May 31, 2006 12:22 AM PDT

There is a stretch of road here in Central Ohio. Most of it is known simply as rte 161, the section is between New Albany and Newark. Along that section is three nursing homes/ retirement communities. The road is a major thrufare and is 55 mph. The road also has several curves where the inside of the curves are either heavily wooded or high hillsides.

On that stretch, Ma and Pa kettle have a bad tendency of going for Sunday drives, everyday of the week. Many do well below the posted speed limit as their driving skills are well blow normal and in some cases well below Legal.

People come around the curves doing the posted limit and find the slowpokes just putting along and frequently rearend them.

Now here is where it gets stupid. Ohio has a law that takes all descretion from the accident officer. He MUST cite the vehicle that rearsends as the Driver at fault even though they are NOT in this case. As long as Ma and Pa say they were doing 35 or higher, he can't cite them for anything.

Since when should Stupidity be rewarded?

Richard
Central Ohio

Collapse -
Grandma and Grandpa
by BSinton / May 31, 2006 10:42 AM PDT

Around here (New Zealand) the law says you must be able to stop in the clear view ahead.

You will have a law much like that,as it is only common sense not to out drive what is safe.
If there is a crash on the road , your sort of driving
will ensure you add to the carnage.

Bruce

Collapse -
Grandma and Grandpa
by raclapp / May 31, 2006 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Grandma and Grandpa

Ah, But it is safe IF EVERYONE IS DRIVING THE POSTED SPEED OR REASONABLY CLOSE! Those who get on and deliberately go well below the posted speed are a danger to themselves and everyone else on the road. THEY should be the ones ticketed.

Collapse -
Reality
by CbrettC / May 31, 2006 4:03 AM PDT

First off lets get this straight. The left lane is not a "fast" lane it is a "passing ONLY" lane. Secondly the law applies to all lanes i.e. the speed limit is the same whether you are in the left, right or center lane. Law also dictates that if you are traveling at less than the POSTED speed to keep right, as does common courtesy ? which is unfortunately not common. Speeding and tailgating kill more INNOCENT people each year (many of which are children) than have been killed in Iraq since the beginning.

Now here is the problem, people use these highways. People seem to believe that the law is for everyone else and since they are some sort of "driving ace" the law does not apply to them.

These ILLEGAL driving habits kill innocent people, do NOT get drivers to their end any faster and hopefully place those that deserve it in jail and loose driving PRIVELIDGES.

Bottom line, if you don?t like the speed limit or other traffic laws ? don?t drive or do something about it LEGALLY.

Collapse -
river rubbernecking on 2 lane road
by smoore955680 / May 31, 2006 4:30 AM PDT

We live on the Klamath River in Northern California. Our road is two-lane with beautiful scenery. It's understandable that people want to enjoy it. But why won't they pull over and let us locals go about our business, ie,work, school, etc.

Collapse -
Slow Drivers in the Fast Lane
by VictorClinch / May 31, 2006 6:10 AM PDT

I believe, based on my experience, you will generally find those slow drivers that are oblivious to the whole world around them are on theri phones. Be it the phone in hand or in the ear, they are so wrapped up in their conversation that they are totally unaware of what they are doing. Next time you are at a stop light, count the crossing cars whose drivers are on their phones - big number.

Collapse -
A couple of problems here?
by the Otter / September 22, 2006 5:58 AM PDT

1) There?s no such thing as ?fast lane.?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.