The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What frequency can you hear? A test.

by MacHugger / June 12, 2006 2:12 PM PDT

This is a very cool link a friend sent. You can test at which frequency your hearing tops out. The sound test goes from 10 to 25 KHz.

Most older people cannot hear above 15 KHz so a dude in the UK made a device that emits a high pitch noise to put outside stores to drive away the loitering youth that tend to congregate there.

I can still just hear the 16 KHz but after that, it's all silent. Shantanubala, I'd be curious to know what your twelve year old ears can pick up.

-Kevin S.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What frequency can you hear? A test.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What frequency can you hear? A test.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This test more reflects the quality of your speakers...
by Jasmes / June 12, 2006 2:17 PM PDT

most speakers attached to computers aren't going to play anything beyond 15khz with much authority.

Collapse -
Don't use computer speakers.
by MacHugger / June 12, 2006 2:42 PM PDT

Of course you need to use a good sound source.

I used AKG 240 monitor headphones plugged into my computer. Nobody should do this test without headphones.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
VALID POINT, Jasmes. Try different sound sources.
by MacHugger / June 12, 2006 5:01 PM PDT

Actually, Jasmes...

I had at first made the assumption that my AKG studio monitors were the best set to try with this test. After your post, I decided to plug in my Koss Porta Pro's just to see. </endorsement> I've always loved the sound from these Koss and they were really just a mid-range-priced, folding head set. I've had them for years. They are the only headset I've ever had where I've repeatedly (accidentally) yanked the wires hard and it's never ruined them. </endorsement off> Happy

Anyhow, using these headphones, I could JUST hear the 20 KHz test sound. I was wondering why my first "score" was so low because I hear a high-pitched noise in my Saab that several technicians have sworn they cannot hear and it drives me nuts. It's the single biggest reason why I will be returning the car at the end of its lease.

So, try multiple headphones or speakers when doing this test.

Collapse -
Don't mistreat your speakers!
by SantiagoCrespo / June 12, 2006 9:35 PM PDT

If you can't hear the 17khz tone at a proper volume, don't crank the volume up to see if you'll hear it, you will just ruin your speakers (specially notebook speakers)

Collapse -
According to my local hospital 27 Khz, reliably to 24 Khz
by Redhats Q / June 12, 2006 2:24 PM PDT

Which means I actually hear most of theos Damn dog whistles and Anti Bark things

On the other side I dont hear anything below 1.2Khz

Its called a permanent Frequency Shift and its common among musicians and Technicians.

The test failed for me at abou 22But my speakers wern't even rated that high

Collapse -
Lower end
by MacHugger / June 12, 2006 2:44 PM PDT

Nice, Redhats. That's pretty high. I wish the test also went to the low end. I'd be curious what my range is there.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Forget Nice, Everyone at a party is the same volume.
by Redhats Q / June 12, 2006 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Lower end

The low end .. about 500 Hz is where you get the volume. So when I stand in a room full of people I can hear every single person at the same volume. I miss the rumble of Explosions. so I sit at a desk with special headphones with Max bass boost just to let me hear even close to normal.

I would Kill to be able to hear bass again.

There is work being done to help, but bass boost is really hard for in ear hearing aids, so I need to travel with a box and headphones if I'm in a crowded place, Then everyone signals to me as they think I'm listening to an audio track or music or something.

Thats why I dont work with a lot of people and spend most of my time at keyboards now. I need the quiet times.

Collapse -
"Cocktail Party Effect"
by robstak / June 13, 2006 6:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Call me Q, Not redhats
by Redhats Q / June 12, 2006 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Lower end

Redhat is to do with what I do for a Living. Our farm is based on RHEL modified for Supercomputing

Q is what everyone calls me as I'm always making crazy gadgets and the boss Loved the original Q from the Bond Movies, Once he started calling me Q so did everyone else.

SO redhats Q is which area and who. As we have another Q here in a different department .. who most call Q2, Personally I call her QT3.14159265

(tom will get it prettey fast anyway)

Collapse -
Can you make a lowend test for us?
by MacHugger / June 12, 2006 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Call me Q, Not redhats

Hey Q, I tried to do a search for a low frequency audio test but I couldn't really find anything like this high frequency link.

Can you make something and throw it up on a link somewhere or would that take way too much time? Only if it's quick and easy, of course (and if you have the equipment to make it Happy ).

Collapse -
About a low-end test...
by Jasmes / June 12, 2006 5:22 PM PDT

Unless you have unusual hearing, like Q, the point where your ears stop picking up bass is going to be around the range when your ear drums just physically cannot make sense of the incoming frequencies. this is usually ~20hz, and you detect those frequencies as vibrations in your body, not through your ears. A low end test would be pretty uneventful, as you can feel frequencies higher than you're likely to lose your hearing.

Its 3am, I'm rambling trying to make sense here.

Basically, a bass test would be novel but if you can hear the lowest string on a bass guitar (E @ ~40hz) then you're not likely to gain much from finding out if your hearing drops off in the 10hz-20hz range before the human ear drum's shortcomings (namely its small size) come into play.

Collapse -
High end vs Low end hearing loss
by robstak / June 13, 2006 6:42 AM PDT

High-frequency hearing loss is usually caused by life-long exposure to loud noises.

Low-frequency hearing loss is usually caused by something 'organic' in nature (ie tumors or congenital defects).

Either way, I'd trust my doc before an online quiz!

-karl the med student

Collapse -
It doesn't take a lifetime
by cardsbb9 / June 13, 2006 9:32 AM PDT

I was exposed to the loud high frequency 'whistle' of air hoses in an aircraft manufacturing plant.

I only worked in them for (maybe) five years. However that was enough to give me constant 'ringing in the ears' at the same frequency as the sound of escaping air around the metal couplings of air hoses.

That is the same frequence of air rushing past teeth when people speak. Hence I cannot tell a 't' from a 'c' when people are talking to me.

I'm not a doctor nor a med student, just a sufferer of high frequency hearing loss.

Collapse -
by robstak / June 13, 2006 11:35 AM PDT

ya, it definately can happen quickly, just *usually* it's an ongoing process.

sorry to hear that tho!

Collapse -
Should be ok to do, but I wont hear if its ok
by Redhats Q / June 12, 2006 5:34 PM PDT

I doubt it will affect you much. but sure

I'll pull up a wav recorder and an audio generator and post these onto a web site somewhere

Its night now, so tommorrow

Collapse -
A link that might help in the meantime.
by MacHugger / June 13, 2006 3:33 AM PDT

I found a file online from a company called Genelec that has a set of sounds in the following frequency range:

16, 18, 20, 22, 26, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120 and 150Hz*****.mp3

But you have to just hit play and then somewhere near the beginning, you will begin to hear the sounds. With my headphones in at work, I probably didn't hear the first 4. With my sets at home I probably didn't hear the first two. A shame that most headphones aren't made to operate well above and below the threshold of typical human hearing. The variation I'm experiencing from different sets has been an interesting learning experience.

Collapse -
Apple iPod earphones vs. the Bose 2
by cardsbb9 / June 13, 2006 3:55 AM PDT

I ran that listening first with the 'trademark' white earpohones that came with my iPod - - - didn't hear a thing until half-way through it.

I put on my Bose 2 headphones and heard the very first one right off.

Truly amazing.

Collapse -
Not surprised
by MacHugger / June 13, 2006 4:23 AM PDT

The Apple standard issue headphones are crap. They don't fit my ears and the sound is unimpressive. I wish they'd just save me a few bucks and sell the iPod without them since they immediately hit the garbage as soon as they're out of the package.

Actually, one test I found online alternated between a low and a high frequency sound (well within the range of most people). But it was from a company who made one of those in-ear headphones and it was a test file you were supposed to download to your iPod to see if it was properly seated in your ear. If it was not, you likely wouldn't hear the low frequency sound very well, according to them.

Collapse -
by earlysound / June 12, 2006 4:01 PM PDT

I'm between 17-18khz.

Collapse -
by earlysound / June 13, 2006 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: fun!

i can always hear TV's being on (when the screen is black) from another room... the sound of flourescent lights makes me insane, too.

I didn't test the higher frequencies, maybe I should give them a shot!

Collapse -
I can hear electronics
by shantanubala / June 13, 2006 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: weird

I always hear that high pitched sound whenever there are cell phones around... My friends think I'm crazy but it's weird. In the middle of school I all of a sudden plug my ears, and then the teacher gets me in trouble Sad

I could hear all of those with my headphones, my speakers couldn't even deliver the sound after 17khz

Collapse -
This is why, according to Dr. Karl...
by robstak / June 13, 2006 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I can hear electronics

...not me, I'm just a med student, but this is what his site had to say:

"It is because of a phenomenon called "magnetostriction", the tendency of some substances to vibrate in an oscillating magnetic field. PAL has a 15.6 KHz linescanning frequency [US (NTSC) oscilates at 15.750 khz]and this can set up a vibration in TV set components at the upper limit of human hearing which some people can hear. Other appliances have "chopper" power supplies, electronic switches that "chop up" DC to regulate voltage via a pulse width modulation at so many KHz, and this may have something to do with what [you hear]."

I can't validate it, but it seems to make sense. AND that would explaing why some people (esp. kids) can hear tv's when there is no programming on.

-karl the med student

Collapse -
Whoa! That explains a lot!
by LifeStar / June 14, 2006 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: weird

When I was a child, I always knew whenever a TV in my home was on, even if it was my parents' set upstairs while I was downstairs. My mom always thought it was that I heard the programming, but it wasn't! I knew it, I wasn't insane! I did hear the TVs go on and off!

Collapse -
by pufit_ / June 12, 2006 4:23 PM PDT

Weird, I can hear the 24KHz sound, but the 25Khz sound I cannot. So I concluded, my range is 24KHz. I can hear the buzzing the TV makes, and can distinguish if it's an NTSC TV and a PAL TV by the sound it emitts. :\

Collapse -
by JoshHendo / June 12, 2006 5:42 PM PDT
In reply to: 24KHz

Yea, I can hear all of them, but im only 14. I won't be able to in a few years. I knew that I could hear 18000 as I generated it in Audacity to annoy everyone in class, and the teacher can't hear it :).

And about the TV, I can hear that to, but as I live in AUS I don't have NTSC tv, so I can't try to see if I can tell the difference Silly

Collapse -
I can also hear CRTs!
by SantiagoCrespo / June 12, 2006 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: 24KHz

And it drives me NUTS!
TVs, Security Monitors, Computer screens, I can hear the blasted pitch.

Collapse -
I can just barely make out 16 kHz ...
by barret55 / June 13, 2006 1:45 AM PDT

.. so i guess I'm in the 15-16 kHz range.

Collapse -
maybe too many rock concerts.....
by NAWCALVIN / June 13, 2006 6:23 AM PDT

i could not hear the 12,000 or higher, what is wrong with me? very interesting, i will have some coworker of a wide age range give it a try except for j.b. cause about deaf the way it is.

Collapse -
Want to make hoods move on .. ?
by Redhats Q / June 13, 2006 8:05 AM PDT

There is a simple way to move Hoods on (by hoods I am refering to the troublesome members of our communities that give Youth a Bad name)

Play classical music.

Its amazing how effective this is. We had a problem locally and I was reading how this was being used in some areas in the US to deal with gangs, so we wired the outside area with low profile security speakers and piped Classical music through them. Pretty low levels, just as background

Once they realised they couldn't kill the speakers (they tried) and playing their music loud just lead the cops to them to make them move on, they moved out of the area.

We have no youth problems in the region and now the area is a favourite area for Familys and our older residents. No Gang issue No graffitti and even the litter problem has been reduced,

Its a park that was alongside an elderly care centre and the houses were getting Tagged, Broken into and residents threatened. Security and other techniques were in place, but Classical music was the best weapon we found. (we chose baroque as it seemed to work best) Of course it could also be the fact that the whole local Community was Pi**ed of enough with them be willing to take them on too.

Not sure how teenagers visiting residents find it, But at least the old folks are happy.

Makes me wonder if there is a link between mosquitto repellers and Classical music.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.