Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What exactly is ComboFix?

by Starfish564 / October 24, 2009 9:09 AM PDT

Hi

Awhile ago I had some trouble with viruses/malware on my computer and called a tech guy who was very helpful and got things working again. He installed the following three antivirus programs: AVG Free 8.5, Malwarebytes 1.34, and ComboFix. The first two I am familiar with and can navigate pretty easily. ComboFix, however, is another story. According to what I've read/heard this is not a program for an inexperienced user (me). I'm pretty much afraid to even click on the icon, as when I do, strange things happen. My question is, do I really need ComboFix if I have the other two programs? Is it really DOING anything? Considering I don't ever update it (or touch it at all for that matter!). I've never had any viuses/malware that couldn't be gotten rid of using either AVG or Malwarebytes.

Should I leave ComboFix alone or can I uninstall it? The lack of understanding it is what's bothering me. I'd be grateful for any explanations.

Thanks!

Starfish

P.S. My OS is Windows XP.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What exactly is ComboFix?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What exactly is ComboFix?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are correct and that is a specialty
by roddy32 / October 24, 2009 9:27 AM PDT

tool that should only be used with and expert guiding you. If you are all set with your problem you don't need it any more you should not use it again and can get rid of it. There are more explanations in this thread at Bleeping computer. Read the posts by Quietman and any of the others that are part HJT team or other staff there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114269.html

Collapse -
Thank You
by Starfish564 / October 25, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

I uninstalled ComboFix from my computer. Better to leave something like that to the experts.

Starfish

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by roddy32 / October 25, 2009 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You
Collapse -
Combofix is a freeware
by housedog55 / October 26, 2009 3:55 PM PDT

Combofix is a freeware (a legitimate spyware remover created by sUBs), Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them.

ComboFix allows the manual removal of spyware infections . It 's a specialized effective cleaning tool, which is useful compared to other malware and spyware removers.

Collapse -
Thanks for the explanation
by Starfish564 / October 27, 2009 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Combofix is a freeware

As I understand it however ComboFix, unlike other anti-virus/anti-malware programs, has the potential to do major damage to a person's computer if used improperly (not by an expert). As I am not an expert, I personally feel better not having it on my computer. In the event that I would ever have a specific need for it, I will let a professional handle the situation.

Starfish

Collapse -
Good Move
by Bugbatter / November 1, 2009 9:01 PM PST

Yes, it is best to work with someone trained in its use. The information at the Bleeping Computer link above is outdated. Depending on the version of ComboFix that has been installed, other users may not be able to uninstall it with those instructions. Combofix is a work in progress and is always changing to address new situations. That is why the tool displays a disclaimer and why you need to be working with someone who is in contact with its Developer. If there is a problem with a specific version, a trained helper can advise on how to correct the situation. Here is just one example of the consequences of using Combofix without supervision.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?threadID=293341#2763333

Collapse -
ComboFix uninstall woes
by dmmoran / November 4, 2009 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: Good Move

I am one of those who combofix /u does not uninstall it!! It also made THREE subdirectories on my C drive called ComboFix, and each one of them has a COMPLETE copy of my C drive in it!!!! It is now taking up three times the space I have installed on the disk -- CAN ANYONE help me?!!!

Thanks,

dorothy

Collapse -
Combofix visus?
by Mickeylearn / February 23, 2012 11:25 AM PST

According to my Nortons, Combofix contains a Trojan virus.

Collapse -
ComboFix is NOT a virus..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: Combofix visus?

Mickey..

Some of the specialized removal tools are detected to be a security risk, when in fact they're not. The Rkill tool is another. As is written here, "When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may automatically remove them".

If downloaded from a reliable source, it's not a problem. Its use doesn't come without warnings. You may find the below of help:

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help?
How to use ComboFix

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Combofix
by Carseela / February 23, 2012 2:07 PM PST

I too had the same problem with the combofix and i uninstalled it from my pc.Now My pc is ok to use it.

Collapse -
combo fix
by kenedy123 / February 23, 2012 5:53 PM PST

When i was using Combo fix , I was not very satisfied because it caused more virus.I was in more trouble after using it then i used many Anti-virus software's like Norton,Avast,kaspersky and now I am using Comodo Anti-virus and I am satisfied with it.,now I am not getting any trouble with it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.