Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

What email client is the best for windows 7

by madmn41 / February 14, 2013 1:37 PM PST

I am looking for a good email client for windows 7 if anyone can help me let me know thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What email client is the best for windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What email client is the best for windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: email client for Windows 7
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 4:10 PM PST

I can't tell you what the best is, only that I'm using Thunderbird myself.

On these forums we see more questions/problems/issues with Windows Live Mail than with Thunderbird. But that could very well be caused because more people use it.

But I don't think I can recommend Incredimail.

Collapse -
Thunderbird 22
by Ron Geiken / June 21, 2013 10:49 AM PDT

Don't recommend this revision. Better if people stay of the beta release program, since it easy to find any given function doesn't work at times. The stable version may be OK, but the beta release program is too frustrating.

Collapse -
Nod to ThunderBird.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 8:36 AM PST

Since my office supplies Outlook, it's nice too.

Can't write good words about "Live" or Incredi-____.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Email Program
by creekclear / February 15, 2013 11:37 AM PST
Collapse -
There are lots of good, and bad email clients out there.
by The Masked Villain / February 15, 2013 12:05 PM PST

I've used a lot of email clients over the years, but the two that I'm willing to recommend are Microsoft Outlook. I know, it's a little pricey, but if you buy a subscription to Office 365 Home Premium, you get the whole office suite for only $100.00 a year. The other client I use, is Microsoft's own free client Now I have to admit that I use Outlook the most, but I still have my for other things. One of the nice features is I can go on any computer with Internet access and check my mail with So I hope this helps you some.

Collapse -
Definitely personal choice
by Zouch / February 15, 2013 7:03 PM PST

Which is the best commuter car? Same sort of question, very much personal choice.

Personally, I use Thunderbird, have since the days it was in beta. Clean simple interface, not heavy on system resources, accommodates POP and IMAP mailservers and very configurable. I actually prefer the older XP skin to the current one but that's no problem, just install the appropriate add-on.

The only recommendation I'd make it to compact the folders (under the File menu) because they can grow a bit because deleted messages are flagged, not physically deleted. Empty folders automatically compact but your inbox probably won't..

Collapse -
Thunderbird nice, but...
by rrmram / May 3, 2013 5:16 AM PDT

While I've used Thunderbird since after the old Eudora days, I find one significant problem. I move between two locations at six month intervals and can find no way to conveniently (on Win XP) or at all (on Win 7) to sychronize mail and address books between the two.

Collapse -
Re: synchronize
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 3, 2013 5:22 AM PDT

Just copy the full contents of the Thunderbird profile to a USB-stick on the source computer and copy it back on the target computer. It's kind of backup / restore process with different computer for both.

Do I understand correctly that you don't backup those data? If you did, you'd know what data it were and how to restore it.

Collapse -
Profile backup
by rrmram / June 23, 2013 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: synchronize

Sorry for the delay but I just got a notice of this posting yesterday. Yes, that is correct. I do not back up profile datum because I never realized that I could xfer between computers that way. I've never found the Mozilla help addresses my issue - it least not using terms that I was searching. Apparently I stumbled upon the solution under XP without realizing what I did because I was able to transfer between XP systems. But when I put one computer on Win 7, I lost track of the package of files I was copying and didn't know what to target. Thanks for the information.

Collapse -
by mozbackup / July 14, 2013 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Profile backup

this may help your issue. go to and it should back up and restore all your settings so you can move between computers. I've never actually used it to restore Thunderbird (I do back it up every so often), but it works great for Firefox.

Collapse -
Usually the best is what you're most familiar with
by Flatworm / February 15, 2013 10:26 PM PST

I use Eudora OSE. Part of this is because, back in the early '90s when I was the Internet Services Administrator for a Federal agency well-known for its extreme technological prowess, we decided to standardize on our email clients agency-wide and did a comprehensive study all the email clients available at the time. We found old Qualcomm Eudora to be the best balance of compatibility, features and ease of use. I've used it and its open-source successor ever since.

Eudora OSE is basically a user interface overlay atop Mozilla Thunderbird that preserves the look and feel (to a large extent) of the old Qualcomm product. It's freeware and open-source, and that's always nice. It is also VERY easy to transfer all the data and settings, including all saved email and the folder structure in which you retain it, from one computer to another.

But all the email clients do most of the same things, just some do some in different ways. I think most people still use Outlook or Outlook Express (or its successor, Windows Live Mail), and it's not a bad product, but I just don't like it much myself. It's purely a personal taste thing.

Collapse -
Windows Mail Live
by paul_saute / February 16, 2013 5:08 AM PST

I installed Windows Live on my computer. This includes Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Movie Maker, Windows Live Photo Gallery. Windows Live Messenger has been recently replaced by Skype.

I have added all my email accounts (Google, Yahoo, etc.) to Windows Live Mail. Easy to use and the Help files are pretty good.

You do not have to install all the components, just those you think are useful to you. You can also update at a later time.

Collapse -
HELP ---
by Duke_Metalman / March 30, 2013 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Mail Live

I cant get Windows live mail to retrieve my mail from Yahoo. I have tried many combinations of suggestions for settings found online - but nothing seems to work. My old XP system recently crashed and I am now running WIN 7 (and I HATE IT WITH A PASSION)

Can you POST the POP3 settings that you used? my latest attempt is:

POP3 / POP3= / SMTP= / log on using clear text authentication / outgoing server requires authentication / SMTP uses port 465 with SSL / POP3 uses port 995 with SSL ...

I have also tried using: POP3= / SMTP=
and that wont work either.

I have tried so many other combinations I cant remember them all...

I am so frustrated... I want my outlook express back so badly...: (

Also DO you know any way to apply Email Message Rules to email accounts that are NOT designated as your default account? Is this even possible with WLM???

Collapse -
What version of Windows 7 do you have?
by wpgwpg / March 30, 2013 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP ---

If you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can get XP Mode free. That would give you Outlook Express back. XP Mode runs as a started task under Windows 7 and starts up in 20 - 30 seconds.
Personally I use Windows Live Mail and find it works just fine for me since I started running it 4 years ago. As others have suggested though you could go to Thunderbird which is free or Outlook.

I see Yahoo has directions for setting up Windows Live Mail at
If you haven't been there, it could be just what you need.

Windows 7 takes a few weeks to get used to, but the vast majority of folks, me included, really like it. I'll take it over Windows 8 any day, I can definitely say that.

Good luck.

Collapse -
New awesomeness: Mailbird
by seira_rg / March 30, 2013 3:18 PM PDT

Try Mailbird. Its new windows email clients.

I've been trying it for couple of months and I love it. It IS really easy to use and pretty much one stop service for all I need in emailing stuff..

you can grab it here: (free)

seira Happy

Collapse -
by itsdigger / March 30, 2013 4:15 PM PDT

Not when I can have Thunderbird for free with more extensions to boot !

Collapse -
Agree. Mailbird is definitely my favorite
by michael_je / September 28, 2013 12:54 PM PDT

Been trying all (I think) free email clients out there, and no one beats it.
I actually liked Thunderbird but was just to clunky UI and sometimes slow, so I've been using Mailbird for a few months now and really like it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.