The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What does your forum handle mean?

by robstak / December 25, 2007 2:58 PM PST

"Unanswered Questions" Thread got me thinking, how did yall come about your forum handle? I think it's so funny how most people a) use the same name for everything and b) that name often has some odd backstory. The stories may be convoluted, but I'm at least curious...

So what's your story???

For me:
'robstak' is the email address given to me in med school. it's the first 6 letters of my last name and my first initial. Now its my email, myspace, facebook, twitter, seesmic, skype, bla bla bla all that web 2.0 crap.

I'm sure a lot of you out there in buzztown have cooler stories so post 'em up!

-Dr. Karl

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What does your forum handle mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What does your forum handle mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
first initial, middle initial, last name - simple...
by shawnlin / December 25, 2007 9:36 PM PST

sorry, no fantastic story...although I sometimes go by phoenix78 or similar for online games, etc.

Collapse -
so you are 29 and you are from arizona or like xmen... :P
by robstak / December 26, 2007 4:14 AM PST

you can tell a lot about someone from their handles.

My others include:

KrazyKarl# - took it in 8th grade, still my im name
SNA7CHFAC3 - snatch was a name given to me in college which become my gaming handle for XBL since then.
Paceyhair - lol. i used to have a short hair cut when dawson's creek was popular. lol. that's pretty embarassing :-P

Collapse -
paceyhar!? don't worry, we won't tell *anyone* ;)
by shawnlin / December 26, 2007 4:25 AM PST

I am 29, I'm from the Chicago area and not from Arizona, I do like X-Men, but it's more of the mystical/mythical phoenix bird that I was referring to Wink

Good guesses though!

Collapse -
Quake 2
by Slikkster / December 25, 2007 10:05 PM PST

My nic defintely hails from the Quake 2 gaming scene. It was originally supposed to be something like "slick rick", but that nic was already taken by the time I got around to using it. "Slikkster" was the next choice.

Side Note: There is still a thriving Quake 2 online gaming community. Check out for their forums, and dredge up the old Quake 2 game and connect to inside the game. There's tons of new maps, and it's still one of the best multiplayer games ever made. Might want to download the maps pack available on the forum first.

Collapse -
by ktreb / December 25, 2007 10:42 PM PST

Given to me a long time ago by my boss at my college job. It stuck, and I've been using it in some form for nearly 20 years. The first two letters are short for Katie and the last three are the first three letters of my last name.

Kathy (No one calls me Katie anymore)

Collapse -
wow 20 yrs! thats so 1337 :)
by robstak / December 26, 2007 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: nickname

ive had the same AOL IM name for 13 years (?) and I thought I was cool! hehe thanx for sharin!

Collapse -
Middle name
by Aeirlys / December 25, 2007 10:59 PM PST

No strange story here, it's just my middle name. My first name is super common tends to be taken online. 'Aeirlys' is a blend of my grandmothers' names, Aisling and Erlys.

Collapse -
one of my standard screen names
by beelissa / December 26, 2007 8:32 AM PST

First, I was Meli( One of the first AOL users, hence I got to have a 4-letter name, no number or anything. This is a nickname that came about because the standardized test results for the SAT only used the first for letters of my first name. Pronounced (as my best friend in high school decided) with a long E, long I, not "Melly".

But then I switched to Road Runner and I couldn't get Meli or even Melissa. At the time, road runner screen names had only 8 characters. My last name has 9, and there's no abbreviation of it that doesn't look really stupid. So, I sat and thought some more about other nicknames I've had. The story goes that a couple of my cousins couldn't say Melissa so it came out Beelissa, and it kind of stuck, at least my father used it into my adolescent years off and on. And, Melissa means honey bee, so that sort of fits. I had a website called Designs by Beelissa for awhile. It's an uncommon enough handle that it's often not taken when I try to sign up for something, so I've been going with that for awhile now, even though I no longer use the road runner email.

Collapse -
Sat Guy
by thesatguy / December 26, 2007 8:42 AM PST

Nothing too exciting, mine is short for Satellite guy (pretty clever right?). I'm a satellite engineer, working mostly with mobile satellite up-link trucks, the kind you see at sports events.
This is really my first experience with forums. I always hear about the amazing community, so I figured I'd finally get involved.

Collapse -
or maybe you got a 1600 on your SAT's ;)
by robstak / December 26, 2007 3:07 PM PST
In reply to: Sat Guy

actually its not even out of 1600 anymroe right? isnt it like 2100 or something? lol

either way, welcome to the family!!!

-dr. karl

Collapse -
Davviau - bit of a story here
by davviau / December 26, 2007 9:49 AM PST

When my girlfriend (now wife) used to go bowling the computer could only handle 5 letters for a name. So she would go by 'Nikki' (Nicole). David would obviously fit for my name but I thought it would be 'cool' to use 'Davvi' just to be similar to 'Nikki'. It's just stuck since then. I first wanted to use 'Davvi' as a Yahoo email username but it was already taken at the time. One of the suggestions they gave was 'Davviau'. Being from Australia I thought it was appropriate to have the 'au' on the end. Since then it has been my username for everything!

PS Great thread. I've often wondered how people choose nicknames/usernames.

Collapse -
Username = Handle?
by Alegoo92 / December 26, 2007 10:57 AM PST

First three letters of first/last names- then year of birth.

- Alex

Collapse -
in the CB radio world...
by shawnlin / December 26, 2007 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Username = Handle?

your nickname (or nic, as in England and other countries) refers to your "handle". I don't know where the term came from...maybe you put a unique name on your radio handle?????

Collapse -
Forum Nickname
by commorancy / December 26, 2007 7:32 PM PST

The word commorancy means 'temporary residence' or 'home away from home'. It's actually quite befitting no matter where I use it as I'm always at virtually at home when I'm logged in. Happy I actually chose it because of the definition.

Collapse -
I guess it always derivations of my name
by jthrock / December 27, 2007 10:52 PM PST

My username for cnet isn't really one that I use too often anymore because it reminds me of my work email address.. I know it sounds weird, it's not b/c i hate my work, but it just reminds me of all huge amounts of junk mail I get. It's especially bad b/c I have a blackberry and its constantly buzzing with a new piece of junk mail.... I wish our company could just use gmail Sad

Anways, "j" is for Joel and "throck" is the first half of my last name. I more commonly use "throk" or "mr.throk"(which is my gmail). The reason I use that is b/c my personalized license plates are throk, they didn't have throck available. So then I bought the domain for my blog, however back then it was just a 'personal website.'

Collapse -
oh well here's a funny story
by jthrock / December 27, 2007 10:56 PM PST

So when I used AOL dialup back-in-the-day I picked the screen name I8MyShoe b/c i thought it was funny.
Well there was this girl in highschool that used to joke me about my username. She would be walking by me in the hallway and say, "Hey Joel, what's that coming out of your mouth? I think it's a shoelace. Did you eat your shoe?"

It really wasn't very funny, but this girl just kept joking me about it for 4 years!

I'm still in counseling.... haha j/k

Collapse -
What does your forum handle mean?
by wizkids32 / December 28, 2007 6:37 AM PST

Ex-boyfriend call me a wizkid in Math Ha Ha and 32 is for thirty two windows system that is all.

Collapse -
I like root beer
by ibcrandy-2120454356981420 / December 28, 2007 7:44 AM PST

I used to use my old AOL name MassaYoda for everything, but 7 or 8 years ago I decided to use something that didn't automatically cast me as a big Star Wars geek (still am, don't get me wrong), not to mention someone pointed out that it might be construed as racist. So when I was trying to create a new yahoo e-mail address I was staring at a bottle of IBC root beer on my desk. My name is Randy. Thus IBCRandy was born. It amuses me that even though I've called in and had the call played on the show explaining how to say the name they still refer to me as I.B. Crandy. Ah well, what can you do.

Collapse -
I thought....
by ktreb / December 28, 2007 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: I like root beer

it was "I See Brandy!" (shouted with a drunken slur, the C and the B switching places)

Collapse -
Yes yes...
by ibcrandy-2120454356981420 / December 28, 2007 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: I thought....

I am happy to have inadvertently caused that little joke. Maybe I should change my buzz town moniker to I See Brandy Randy.

Collapse -
by ktreb / December 28, 2007 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: Yes yes...

I just listened to podcast 629...I B Crandy

Collapse -
from the movie Jerry McGuire...sort of
by kwahhn / December 28, 2007 10:14 AM PST

wanted a yahoo email address "quan"...taken...tried "kwahn"...taken...

Collapse -
Mementh= Mnementh
by mementh / December 30, 2007 12:34 PM PST

blame anne mccaffrey and my reading, I love her works and i love the Dragon Riders of Pern series..

Mnementh is the biggest Male Bronze Dragon in the series.

The way I think I read the books is I have a audio/movie running in my head, so I would often times do the classic first and last letter of a word and use context to figure out what it is, so I saw Mementh.

Collapse -
Re: i'm latenight owl
by latenight9 / December 30, 2007 8:35 PM PST
In reply to: Mementh= Mnementh

Cuz at that time, i was translator and often times i worked late into the night...So latenight was borned...But on occassions if the username was taken i just added 9 behind it and it pronounces just like night so latenight9 was borned...kinda funny...

Collapse -
"less is more"
by minimalist / December 31, 2007 1:49 AM PST

Its my general approach to just about everything. Make it concise and strip away what isn't necessary.

Collapse -
by firestarter / December 31, 2007 6:20 AM PST

i just like the name and also because of the prodigy song.

Collapse -
all this time i assumed you were a pyromaniac...
by robstak / December 31, 2007 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: mine

see this is what this thread is for! dispelling ill-conceived assumptions about ppl based on their forum names. lol

Happy new year!

Collapse -
(NT) i also do like playing with fire too
by firestarter / January 3, 2008 4:56 AM PST
Collapse -
sniff, sniff - hey, what's that burning smell?...
by shawnlin / January 6, 2008 12:21 AM PST

please...only use your powers for GOOD! Happy

Collapse -
Handle Derivation
by n74jw / January 1, 2008 10:06 PM PST

N74JW = Aircraft registration

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.