Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

What does the XP in Windows XP mean?

by robertking / November 24, 2004 1:30 AM PST

Just had this question flying around the office, and no-one could come up with an answer. So, is there anyone out there smart enough to tell me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What does the XP in Windows XP mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What does the XP in Windows XP mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What does the XP in Windows XP mean?
by roddy32 / November 24, 2004 1:38 AM PST

I think it is short for Windows eXPerience,

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 26, 2004 9:40 AM PST

I thought it meant eXtraProfits.
lol
sylvie.

Collapse -
by camljr / December 3, 2004 1:09 AM PST

WHEN XP FIRST CAME OUT, I KICKED AROUND THE SAME THOUGHTS ABOUT THE MEANING OF WHAT "XP" STOOD FOR...

AFTER LONG AND CAREFUL THOUGHT ON THE MATTER, I DECIDED THAT IT MEANT....

"Xtra Profit" for Microsoft.... pretty funny, huh? but altogether true...

I also wondered what "ME" stood for....

I came up with...

more money for "ME" bill gates.... benn laughing ever since, until XP SERVICE PACK 2 CAME OUT AND SCREWED UP A LOT OF COMPUTERS BY SHUTTING DOWN THE COM PORTS IN INTERNET EXPLORER... GREAT FIX FOR A SIMPLE PROBLEM, HUH?

NOT SO FUNNY ANYMORE...

NOW WITH THE ANTICIPATED RELEASE OF "LONG HORN" IN 2005, I AM FIGURING OUT THE MEANING OF THAT ONE...GOT IT... I, BILL GATES, AM GOING TO "STICK IT TO THE PUBLIC" WITH MY NEW LONG HORNS.... HAH...BEWARE OF LONG HORN... I HEARD THE HAD ISSUES WITH THE NEW OP SYSTEM, AND THE PROGRAMMERS WANTED TO DELAY RELEASE TIL 2006 TO FIX THEM, MICROSOFT DECIDED TO RELEASE IT ANYWAY AND FIX THE PROBLEMS WITH A LATER SERVICE PACK RELEASE TO ADDRESS THOSE CONCERNS... TYPICAL MICROSOFT PLOY... GET THE MONEY NOW AND FIX THE PROBLEMS LATER....BEWARE OF THE INITIAL RELEASE... IT COULD BE WORSE THAN THE XP SERVICE PACK 2 FIASCO... ANY COMMENTS?

Collapse -
by ace86 / December 6, 2004 7:04 AM PST

ME stands for Millenium Edition, later become me (one word) to make it sound personal. ME is the only OS that does not detect my modem.

Collapse -
nothing wrong w profits
by kmisenor / August 6, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

what do u have against profits?
making a profit is the way America does business.
if you dont like it move to a Communist country.

Collapse -
by roymanns / December 3, 2004 5:07 PM PST

XPerimental XP is a stndard letters used by designers of new products

Collapse -
by Ceecebee / December 2, 2004 9:19 PM PST

I know you are probably correct but I thought it stood for eXtraProblems, or maybe eXtraPounds Happy

Collapse -
by STAROCK / December 3, 2004 1:32 AM PST

I used Windows 98-SE for over four years, and I was content with it. When upgrading to Windows XP, I found that I had X-tra, P-roblems, whenever I tried installing ANYTHING! I later discovered that I had to buy newer software, and download XP patches to make the software and some hardware as well, function properly! So after many, many "Blue Screens Of Death" I have finally figured out most of the flaws, fixes, and nuances of this problematic operating system. Therefore I christen thee WINDOWS XP for the: "X-tra P-roblems"...that I had to endure while learning to use it!

Collapse -
eXPperience an eXPert help while in trouble ? ;-) [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / November 24, 2004 1:45 AM PST

Collapse -
Re: eXPperience an eXPert help while in trouble ? ;-) [NT]
by pearljamkornfan / December 3, 2004 4:10 AM PST

I agree with this mostly. For those of you having many problems with XP, possible reasons are because of negligence to maintain your machine. Im sure Microsoft could have made the OS more stable and/or reliable, but I have had my computer for about 9 months and have had 0 issues with it. I uninstall everything unnecessary (make sure you are sure what you are uninstalling first), frequently run Ad-Aware and Spybot with updated definitions, use AVG, defrag once every other week, use reg-clean about once a week and never go to "shady" websites. I also am careful about "ad-supported" software and always do an expert install. Here you find many options of what you can choose to install or not. Often times there are things bundled with software, including Gain and such, that are never used taking up hard drive space and slowing the boot process. I installed SP2 without backing up (not recommended) and luckily had no problems, probably due to the good condition of my computer. All that this OS needs to run smoothly is some common knowledge and maintanance. Be careful what you click, install, and open. Just my opinion.

Collapse -
by Paedil / December 3, 2004 12:55 PM PST

Just from my experience doing PC repair over the last two years, I'd say it's roughly:
10% people that are just plain dumb. (It doesn't work! What? I have to push a button for it to come on?)
Yes, I actually had to go show someone how to push the power button once.
40% people that buy the cheapest computer humanly possible (Usually from Wal-Mart, who then run it over an electromagnet to disable the security :P) and don't understand they just bought a Pinto or a Gremlin and can't understand why the hardware starts to die within the month.
The other 50% is about 25/25 with user created errors like opening every email attatchment, unholy amounts of spyware, 4 years without a defrag, etc and microsoft end problems like security holes, worms, plain unstable OSes (Like ME. Bleah.)etc.
I think the best one I've seen to date was a guy trying to run Win2k server on a P1. 'I thought it was kinda funny when it took 2 days to install.' Then he brought it in to be 'fixed' when he discovered it had an approximately 4 hour or so boot time.
2 gig OS on a 2.6 gig drive. Always an excellent choice. Happy

Collapse -
dumbasses
by crazeebob2000 / December 31, 2004 2:19 PM PST

LOL, i had to laugh, thanks for that. Im no genius but, DAMN!

Collapse -
by merchContractor / December 3, 2004 1:10 PM PST

I also agree with "pearljam's" reply. Since I've installed XP on an updated pre-existing computer with added RAM, HD space, PentiumIII, and CD/RW, I've had pretty good luck with my system, too. Plus, learning how to tweak it up better, helps. I also learned, with my Bachelor degree in computing and computer repair studies, some quick-trick tips in starting up your system better by accessing your BIOS settings. If anyone has questions about the BIOS, I can offer some tips about the BIOS settings.
Good reply from "pearljam", though!

Collapse -
by cabman32 / December 6, 2004 2:52 AM PST

I could use some advice on bios settings
P3 800mgz
xp pro sp1

Collapse -
by m.horvat / November 25, 2004 3:51 PM PST

XP stands for "eXPerience"

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 25, 2004 6:00 PM PST

"Ex Perfect" Happy

Collapse -
by okiejoe / November 25, 2004 6:22 PM PST

Hmm..I thought it meant eXtra Problems??!!

Collapse -
by showboat / November 27, 2004 11:51 AM PST

it stands for eXtra Patches of course.

Collapse -
XP = Xtremely Puffy
by jstropp / November 25, 2004 10:16 PM PST

2.14 GB for an operating system? Oh Bill....

Collapse -
by Jimbel / November 25, 2004 10:27 PM PST

XTRA PAIN

Collapse -
by MKay / November 26, 2004 9:55 AM PST

Or eXcruciating Pain

Collapse -
by markseskis / November 25, 2004 10:37 PM PST

I read or heard somewhere that "XP" is short for EXPERIENCE.

Collapse -
by phattdaddy / November 26, 2004 6:25 AM PST

Expert? now that has to be a "lapsus Linguae"

Collapse -
by Lord Folken / November 26, 2004 10:41 AM PST

I think it is for:
eXtreme Problems

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 27, 2004 1:15 AM PST

Seems i read somewhere the meaning of the word
EXPERT:
"a drip under pressure"

Collapse -
Re Drip Under Pressure
by phattdaddy / December 1, 2004 6:49 AM PST

(FYI) this statement appeared in David Nivens autobiography "The Moon is a Balloon" where he expounds the true meaning of the word "expert".
As in Ex meaning something that might have existed but is no longer useful and the phonetic tail piece "Spurt" being a drip under pressure.

Collapse -
Re: Re Drip Under Pressure
by fendrayton / December 2, 2004 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re Drip Under Pressure

Oh yes!.. Used that one MANY times, but I always heard that EX is the UNKNOWN..and "spert" is a big drip under pressure.. either way.. IT FITS!!

Collapse -
Re: Re Drip Under Pressure
by SumerBrez / December 8, 2004 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re Drip Under Pressure

Im just reading this..I truly didnt know that..I just remember hearing that was the meaning of "expert". *S*
Thanks phattdaddy.

Collapse -
by deanatalbott / December 3, 2004 8:34 AM PST

Ex is a has been and a spirt is a drip under pressure.

Collapse -
Re: What does the XP in Windows XP mean? for real
by nats / December 6, 2004 1:03 AM PST

XP
The first two letters of the Greek word XRISTOS, Christ; -- an abbreviation used with the letters separate or, oftener, in a monogram, often inclosed in a circle, as a symbol or emblem of Christ.

source http://www.question.com/dictionary/xp.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.