Laptops forum

General discussion

What does the 1 year free limited warranty from hp cover?

by Cocoagirl / March 2, 2007 10:37 PM PST

I know that it wont cover accidents and such but what exactly will it cover? If anything happens to the laptop that is no fault of my own within that year, will the limited wawrranty cover it? I am trying to decide if I should stick with the limited warranty as it is free with purchase or if I should go with the the 1 year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Express Repair extended service plan for an addt'l $100?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What does the 1 year free limited warranty from hp cover?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What does the 1 year free limited warranty from hp cover?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cocoagirl
by retired / March 3, 2007 5:19 AM PST

This site may help you in finding out what the 1 year covers.

http://www.hp.com.au/support/warranty/default.asp?type=a0,

For me personally I don't like extended warranties and never get them because I found it was a waste of money. Most times it is a hassle to get the problem fixed under warranty anyway.

One example, A friend brought her 2 and 1/2 old Laptop to me for repairs. it turned out the HDD was gone. She had bought an extended 3 year warranty for $300.00, HP replaced the Drive (REBUILT), She could have gone to the local computer store and bought a new one for $65.00. Her warranty has now expired so she is out $235.00. Now, The accidental damage might be worth it if one is careless and does not take care of things correctly, the choice is really up to you. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Collapse -
I normally do not buy extended warranties.
by Cyborganizer / March 3, 2007 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Cocoagirl

If a part is defective, it is most likely to show up immediately or near the end of a part?s lifespan. It will either break within the first year or when the laptop is old and worthless. However, Dell offers a relatively cheap accidental coverage for their latitude laptops. The deal is 3 years of accidental coverage for $149. My laptop will be dragged from school and back about 1 mile each way. Is it a good idea to spend $149 on 3 years of accidental coverage?

Thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.