Computer Help forum

General discussion

what does NTLDR is missing mean?

by kurbchecker / November 17, 2004 10:38 PM PST

i had to fdisk my computer and with my hard drive theres a cd that comes along with it that partiones and does all that sort of thing and i put that in and it did all that and said that my maxtor hard drive was already to put an operating system on it to put the istall cd for windows in and than push control alt delete to reboot. so I did all of that and everything starts to load up I get as far as to the black screen right before the windows logo appears the one that list the PCI listings. than at the spot that says verifying DMI Pool Data and it says NTLDR is missing press control alt delete to restart. I dont know what that means can anyone help? Im trying to load on windows xp pro edition. but I even tried windows Me to and it did the same.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what does NTLDR is missing mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what does NTLDR is missing mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: what does NTLDR is missing mean?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 12:01 AM PST
Collapse -
by sailor1994 / November 18, 2004 5:25 AM PST

Your master boot record and/or that file is damaged, check Microsoft's knowledge base since Windows 2000, Server 2003 and XP can give this error.
Try writing zeros to the drive and then reinstall windows (it will give you options to partition and format the drive during the install). Personal experience with that error on an XP system required a new motherboard after proving it wasn't the hard drive or Windows cd causing the problem.

Collapse -
by kurbchecker / November 18, 2004 3:07 PM PST

how do u write the drives to zero im at the point where there are no partions on my computer so theres not an operating system on it either. I dont know where to go from here can u please help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.