Tablets forum

Question

What do you think of the iPad Air?

by lizamaloy CNET staff/forum admin / October 22, 2013 9:26 AM PDT

--Already camping out to buy mine first.
--Meh, I will stick with my current tablet.
--No Air for me; new Mini with Retina Display all the way!
--Not a fan of Apple. I'll spend my money elsewhere

Place your poll votes here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2311.html

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to fix poll link on 11/01/2013 at 4:25 PM PT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you think of the iPad Air?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you think of the iPad Air?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I like it
by CactusPrick / October 22, 2013 11:34 AM PDT

Still getting by with the first version of the iPad. It's served me well, but getting slower and lacks a camera. Haven't been impressed enough withe the newer versions until now but like what I read about the Air. Nice weight and faster too. Plan on getting one as soon as the come out.

Collapse -
Answer
Wait for Andoid
by Ann1460 / October 22, 2013 11:49 AM PDT

Love my iPad2 ios7 but need better interface with computer & phone and REALLY want a USB port.

Collapse -
Camera adapter gives USB to iPad2
by jfischer316 / October 22, 2013 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Wait for Andoid

The 30 pin camera adapter comes with USB. I have had success with "unsupported" devices, including Windows keyboards. It won't easily support flash drives or external hard drives. This is becoming less of an issue as much of my data is in "the Cloud." I have iCloud running on my Windows PC, so my iPad2 is automatically sync'ed with my computer. More and more of my documents are in the cloud on Google Drive.

Collapse -
USB External vs Cloud
by Ann1460 / October 24, 2013 2:16 AM PDT

With the quantity of photos and graphics on my external hard drives I can't afford the Cloud space. But thank you for the suggestions. Very helpful for my limited amount of data.

Collapse -
Answer
"i" dont care
by lakefever / October 22, 2013 2:22 PM PDT

Android for me. expandable memory, no special cable or software, usb port capable of running hard drive or thumb drive, ability to transfer files between pc or other android device without software, doesn't seemed to be dated each year. These are the things I want and need. iphones and ipads are strong in the family, and they work very well. they are very good products. I just prefer the versatility of android for my use. Not everyone uses a tablet, phone or pc the way I do. So if Apple works for you, you spend your money on what makes you happy. I do. Each have their strong and weak points. Improvements by Apple and some of the others are what makes us tick.

Collapse -
Android & iOS both have advantages
by jfischer316 / October 22, 2013 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: "i" dont care

It is useful to have an SD slot and USB on a Tablet. (I still use a camera with an SD card for photos. The camera adapter provides this for iPads, but a built in SD slot and "real" USB ports are simpler and more convenient.) There are some apps that are better on Android & some that are better on iOS. I have two Android devices and one iPad2. I find I use the iPad more than the others.

Collapse -
Answer
It's becoming old..
by feduchin / October 22, 2013 2:24 PM PDT

iPad shmiPad, the voting results are telling us something. Doesn't matter if it's Apple or Samsung or any other tablet, the whole thing is losing it's 'zing'.

Frankly I believe the days of the tablet; with it's vastly cut-down processor whether Apple or Android or the Windows effort; are numbered.

Although they are still costing somewhat more, the ultrabook laptops are beginning to seriously encroach on pure-tablet territory. If you are a serious computer user the question you've got to ask yourself is, why buy an item that can't do half that you want to do, can't store most of it, and can't handle decent backups? Programs such as Photoshop, serious writing, other mathematical stuff and programming cannot be effectively done on a tablet. Sure you can do lots of lightweight stuff but why bother with a half-assed processor and in most cases, less than 64Gb memory?

These new ultrabooks, mostly PCs (sorry guys) made by Lenovo (Helix), Microsoft (Surface) and Intel (Ultrabook 2 in 1) to name only a few, really are set to take over. The only thing holding them back is the price; currently that price is in the 'teens, but it won't be much longer.. We ALL know about hardware prices, don't we..

These ultrabook/tablets are FULL computers, make no mistake. They all have an SSD (solid state drive) installed, not a memory chip as in the tablets! I'm not up with the latest but even I know that SSDs are up to 500Gb: this is REAL memory! All of these units have really good connectivity, unlike the average tablet; they each have a really good keyboard when needed and they each use Windows 8, or 8.1.

What do I hear? Yowls of hatred, I've heard it all. Fellas, the vast majority of Apple users are mostly buried in the past. And not just Apple users, plenty of Windows XP/7 users too.

Windows 8 and now, 8.1 is GREAT. I use it and I love it. There has NEVER been anything so fast and reliable, Apple or otherwise. My Intel powered i5 laptop starts or closes in around 5 seconds; indeed I have to say that although I liked XP, loved 7, really liked 8, I now find 8.1 almost extraordinary.

And (this is for Apple users): ANY mention of viruses is SUCH old hat! When I hear someone spouting that old chestnut my eyes glaze over, and as my vision dims I see this person's face morphing, with grey whiskers growing out of his ears, an old grey moustache hanging over his mouth and huge white eyebrows...

Face it fellas. The day of the pure tablet 'a la iPad' is almost done. What a pity Jobs left 'them' in the lurch..

Collapse -
Apple Addicts
by Boothbay / October 22, 2013 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: It's becoming old..

That is what they are...addicts... get a life a single new feature and boom off to the stores and get the latest. Guy's like you is what makes company's like Apple rich and richer..they got you hooked. Browsers use to take a few years to be updated and now these tablets add one simple feature , every other Quarter and "Oh, i got get it" I'm still using my XP, yes XP on my desktop and win 7 on my note book...and they suit me just fine and save a lot of money.

Collapse -
you didn't read it!
by feduchin / October 23, 2013 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Apple Addicts

I am the opposite of an Apple addict !

You missed the whole point.

I guess that's the problem with writing too many words..

Collapse -
LOL
by dcgeneral / October 23, 2013 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: It's becoming old..

You're describing the reflection in your mirror, golden oldie. Too old to be hip. Too young to afford the best. If you want so much from a computer, there's the new Mac Pro or, dearie, engineer one for yourself. That's what real IT pros did in the early days of PCs.

Yes, I am an Apple fan. Have been -- like forever. PCs have Never made the grade and probably never will. If PRICE is all you can tout about, you are old hat and too cheap to 'boot.' Mischief

Collapse -
old
by feduchin / October 23, 2013 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL

Poor ignorant little fart - young or old..

Collapse -
Lack of understanding..
by feduchin / October 23, 2013 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL

What you don't understand is that Apple is merely one computer manufacturer among many other fine companies such as Lenovo, ASUS, Microsoft, HP, Dell, Acer, Fujitsu, Samsung, Sony, etc make equipment just as well as Apple.
Several have a larger share of the computer market, of which, apart from smartphones and tablets which are not 'computers' as such, Apple has never had more than about 7% of. I wonder why...
Whilst in the print trade several years ago I used Apple PCs and found nothing particularly wrong with them, apart from constantly needing to be de-bugged by our Norton Utilities cd, plus another I've forgotten.
Obviously we used Photoshop a lot. I never found any difference between using Photoshop and Illustrator on my home Hewlett Packard PC (that I had at the time) and the office Apples: we both used Photoshop 7.
Indeed me and the owner recently joked about it because right up to today, about 8 years later, we both still use the same version, Photoshop 7, his for the Apple, me for my current PC (Lenovo.) It's a great piece of software that doesn't give a damn about the platform you use it on.
I even went and bought an Apple although I didn't keep it for long.
Apart from obvious things like the way the Apple doesn't use all the features of a mouse, (which they invented! God knows why they stick to that stupidity) and their irritating screen usage (no windows!) it annoyed me because Apple didn't recognise my printer or my accounting system! And as if that's not enough, no software you bought before your current Apple is compatible with your current version of the Apple OS! Like it or not, whether you use Windows XP, 7 or 8, ALL the Windows software you EVER bought can work on your current PC.
You thing I'm cheap? Well, take into account then that you're talking about 70-80% of the rest of the computer-using population too. Who needs to keep feeding the pockets of software manufacturers by buying their upgrades?

Collapse -
Answer
Nothing I can use. Why? The odd bluetooth they used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2013 3:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
A good next step, just wish it had a LED flash
by Practical-Mac / October 22, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

Its great Apple made it lighter, not too sure if losing the side bezels is all that great.

USB would be great, but the way the system works, not sure if it is of much advantage.

No TouchID is a bit of bummer, but more useable on iPhone.

What I want most is LED for camera on back. iPad casts a big shadow.

Collapse -
Answer
I will not buy it
by Jenifery / October 23, 2013 7:39 PM PDT

I like my Ipad mini2 very much, after Jobs is dead, the design of them can not take my attention any more

Collapse -
Answer
by edwardoliver / October 24, 2013 8:49 PM PDT

this should be a good Ipad, I will buy one if I have enough budget

Collapse -
Answer
none of my business
by Mandy1314 / October 29, 2013 12:40 PM PDT

I am never an Apple fan. For me, the series products of Apple are too expensive, and i don't need such a high-end tablet. Tablet is just a tool to watch videos and read e-book for me, a cheap one is enough.
However, the latest iPad Air is really fashion and cool. I think most Apple fans won't miss out it.

Collapse -
Answer
iPad Air or Retina iPad Mini?
by frank-elijah / October 29, 2013 9:02 PM PDT

After using the new iPad for about a year, I think it is too heavy and not as portable as the mini. But the iPad Air changes everything. Now it's hard to choose between the Air and retina Mini. I will suggest anyone who want to buy iPad the mini with retina display.

Collapse -
Answer
no fan of Apple
by hoojay / October 31, 2013 5:15 PM PDT

Not a fan of Apple, but I actually find the Air very impressive. lighter and bigger display

Collapse -
Answer
I am sure it's very nice, but...
by Flatworm / November 1, 2013 9:40 PM PDT

I would not by an iPad, Air or otherwise. I have several reasons for this decision, chief among which is the lack of USB ports and accommodation for some kind of memory card. This is the same reason I don't like iPods or iPhones, either. Expansion capability is a GOOD thing.

I find it amazing how Apple can issue a little tweak to one of its products, an incremental improvement that brings it almost up to the level of its competitors (although at double the price at any performance point), and their PR apparatus is able whip the Apple cultists into a frenzy reminiscent of early '60s teenage girls at a Beatles concert.

It's actually a little bit scary.

Collapse -
Answer
Pricey, lack of accessories getting old
by rharbick / November 19, 2013 8:47 PM PST

Like many I went from iPad 1 to iPad 3 (which I loved), to a full 128Gb WiFi 4g Air. Paid for it out the nose, and now, over a month later, there are still no hard cases available. This, I am learning, is because of Apple's almost Spartan attitude of not sharing design changes with major accessories manufacturing companies until the release of the retail unit. This always mean accessory companies are at least 2 to 3 months behind. Also, Apple has really locked down the cable market - I have yet to find an off- brand cable that will charge the iPad, and in most cases, even transfer data. All this, along with absolutely no standard connection ports has me thinking this will be my last iPad. I had been a rabid convert from Windows (which I still hate) to Apple. Now I'm thinking an Android device might be my next purchase.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.