The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What do you predict will be the tech talk of the town in 2011?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 7, 2011 8:01 AM PST

What do you predict will be the tech talk of the town in 2011?

-- Tablets (Any particular one?)
-- Super smartphones (Any particular one?)
-- 3D everything (Please explain?)
-- Smart TVs (Please explain?)
-- The death of Netbooks (Why?)
-- Other (What is it?)
-- I'm still trying to catch up with 2010.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you predict will be the tech talk of the town in 2011?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you predict will be the tech talk of the town in 2011?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You missed listing the new chips

I don't buy anything with "smart" in the title because when I can't fathom how to work it, I have inadequacy issues. 3D can cause bouts of nausea. Tablets make great readers, but give me my keyboard. Tablets caught on and netbooks didn't.

I think the biggest buzz will be about chips. Microsoft is showing a love interest in ARM. That's fine, but to me the most under-hyped item has been the new INTEL Sandy Bridge chip. Why? It incorporates graphics into the CPU chip and varies chip speed to match what you want it to do. This is especially important to laptops. (Think heat and battery life.)Most modern video cards require a fan of their own. Wouldn't it be nice for your chip to walk while you're reading an email and only overclock when you're killing mythical beasts?

These chips are still on the workbench and haven't been installed on any commercial machines yet, so this year's buzz might be about their performance... or lack of it. We'll see.

Collapse -
Chips & More
by DOSpower / January 7, 2011 12:34 PM PST

I agree, Sandy Bridge will be talked about along with the AMD Fusion response in addition to efforts from NVidia, ARM and others. The other object of much talk will be Windows 8. It's not here yet but it will be talked about and often!

Collapse -
My Prediction is already coming true
by technicalbeat / January 7, 2011 10:38 AM PST

I predicted late last year that we were about to head into App World, where traditional be-all and do-everything software applications would quickly give way to bite-sized budget-priced specialized apps. Now, not even seven days into the new year and Apple has opened their "App Store" and the game change is on. This is the wave of the future. Computers and mobile devices now merely app/solution aggregators and controllers. Each of us must configure our own customized personal digital environments and application suites. Enjoy!

Collapse -
Microsoft on the warpath
by technicalbeat / January 12, 2011 3:54 AM PST

If there was any doubt that apps and "App Stores" are not the imminent future, Micrsoft's Steve Balmer just in-essence confirmed that contention by vociferously objecting to Apple's effort to trademark the term "App Store". Though late MS sees the handwriting on the wall, hears the call to the starting line, and will now try disparately to hold back or at least stall off the future until they can figure a way to dominate play in this new game. (Does this sound familiar?)

Collapse -
MM Watches
by ccrider77 / January 7, 2011 12:34 PM PST

I think the next trend will be multi-media watches. That is a Bluetooth watch with a video screen and wireless headset. It will have a built in MP3 player, data storage, 4G cell and GPS capability. The 1x2 inch screen will be used for viewing pictures, movies (larger through bluetooth surround goggles), directions, the web, video-teleconference calls, address retrieval, video games, etc... It will also be app capable and suitable for exercise (water/shockproof) with a built in pedometer and calorie counter.

Text input occurs through voice recognition or a portable roll-up keyboard as an option.

And of course - it tells time...

Collapse -
The iPod nano is as much multi-media watch as I need now
by technicalbeat / January 7, 2011 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: MM Watches

The iPod nano has many if not most of the features you listed, plus the touch UI can't be beat. If/when Apple makes it a full-out iOS-driven device then the game is on for real.

Collapse -
Agreed
by Mergatroid Mania / January 16, 2011 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: MM Watches

Although I agree with you in general, I think the "watches" will actually just be a type of display and input device for a smart phone and not an actual cell phone itself. There is already one device like this for Android phones in the works from Sony.

Collapse -
An iPhone/iPad killer
by dayman / January 7, 2011 5:48 PM PST

Someone will come up with a phone/pad combo for a
sensible price that will kill both the iPhone and
iPad. (Apple prices are just silly!!)

Collapse -
Combination
by boosterp / January 8, 2011 12:16 AM PST

The tablets are certainly hurting netbook sales, and why buy a high end netbook when one can get a 14" laptop for the same price with better performance and a dvd drive?

This is also the year of the combo chips as several have mentioned here.

3D is still expensive and a niche market.

Also, throw in Verizon's iPhone and the impact on ATT as being big news mid year.

Collapse -
Sounds like wishful thinking.
by technicalbeat / January 9, 2011 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Combination

The real strength of the iPhone, iPad, iPod and Touch are the App Store and developer community, secondarily, iOS is a pretty significant piece. Microsoft and oher major players will attempt to compete with Windows and Android devices but by then Cupertino will respond with new iPhones and iPads "to die for" and that will be the end of that noise!

Collapse -
Windows is not quite the mobile competitor.
by boosterp / January 9, 2011 3:10 AM PST

Windows has previously failed miserably in the mobile market and has showed late for the current market. While the current version of Windows mobile has matured, it certainly does not have the maturity of iOS, Palm (not doing to well), BlackBerry, Symbian, or even Android.

I do agree with you on all points, just doubt Windows or Palm will succeed.

Collapse -
I think
by oh_doug25 / January 8, 2011 2:58 AM PST

I think it will be the end of 3D TV's. Sony was just a little to late for this concidering the HD switch a couple year earlier.The only way it will stay afloat in my eyes is to have 3D Blu-ray player that do not need a 3D tv to create the same experiance.

Collapse -
Pixel Qi screens
by JayeD / January 10, 2011 11:27 AM PST

I hope 2011 will be the year of Pixel Qi screens for everything, especially in tablets.
I want a Tablet like Notion Ink's Adam with the Pixel Qi screen.

Collapse -
OLED anyone?

I have heard that a 31" OLED TV will be available from LG for about $10,000.

Many manufacturers are testing new print methods for printing the OLED arrays on thin films of glass from (I believe) Dupont. This glass can be rolled making for easier printing. Some other companies are testing version that combine the vacuum method and the printing method. If these are successful we may finally start seeing some OLED TVs hitting the market. However, for 2011 I would expect if we see any at all it would be the 31" LG.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.