The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What do you mostly use your cell phone for?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / May 23, 2006 7:02 AM PDT

Aside from making and receiving calls, what do you mostly use your cell phone for?

Taking photos (how useful is it?)
Playing games (are you happy with the gameplay?)
Listening to music (how useful is it?)
Internet browsing (how useful is it?)
Text messaging (how useful is it?)
Keeping track of calendar events (how useful is it?)
Nothing else! It's a phone!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you mostly use your cell phone for?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you mostly use your cell phone for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cell phone=Communication
by Dreslinski59 / May 23, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

My daugther is deaf and used a blackberry for a number of years. However, she and her partner bought phones from Verizon == she is using the "V" and he is using something else. While there are many more avenues available now for her to communicate depending on the situation (PC, videotelephone, TTY, instant messages) she decided on a cell phone rather than renewing her contract with GoAmerica. Many of her friends use T-Mobile Sidekicks, but she prefers her "V". My husband and I both have basic cell phones, but made certain that we could text easily. While the QWERTY keyboard would be great, we are fine using the basic phone to contact our daughter.

Collapse -
Hi there
by ryanhabib / May 23, 2006 4:54 PM PDT

Sorry to say but as you said on post looks like that phones and communications on USA are decades behind Europe.For example in here in can get phones for people with hearing sight.You can get get phones for blind people and there is even phone designed for childrens.I think is time to telecomunication people in the USA to weak up and use a bit more of creativity.Just check out for exemple at or may find some help for your daughter in get a phone suitable for her nedds.

Best regards

Collapse -
by naomi.koehler / November 24, 2008 12:48 PM PST

I was texting my daughter the other day and the young gal sitting next to me was surprised that I was texting. Why? Because her Mom doesn't know how. Hey - I'm not THAT old girls! But for all you our there who have people in your life not utilizing this feature, teach them.

Collapse -
by BKM547 / May 23, 2006 11:06 AM PDT

90% of people I know, just want a phone, with text capability.

Collapse -
Just check out whats is a phone is about
by ryanhabib / May 23, 2006 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Phones

Sony Ericsson V630 for Vodafone
23 May, 2006 | Comments (11) | Post your comment
Today Sony Ericsson announced V630 - a Vodafone branded version of their K610 handset which was due to hit the shelves in the beginning of summer 2006. V630 is styled in black and orange and it comes with a custom Vodafone visual theme. The design features the successful Walkman navigation D-pad which turns into a music navigation combo during music playback.

V630 is produced exclusively for Vodafone Group and their customers. The phone features a 1.9-inch 262k color TFT display with a resolution of 176x220 pixels, full 3G support for fast data transfer and Vodafone's extended services, a 2 megapixel camera (no autofocus), a Memory Stick Micro (M2) card slot, Bluetooth, and USB 2.0 support.

The handset is designed to make use of all the existing 3G services offered by Vodafone, including video calls with a dedicated front VGA camera and streaming Mobile TV, as well as the new Radio DJ service. It is a personalized streaming radio service which allows you to vote for the songs you like most. That ensures that you get a fully customized live radio stream playing your favorite songs. What is more, you could easily order and buy them online through the phone.

The music features of the handset are backed up by a 256MB Memory Stick Micro Card and a stereo headset. The Memory Stick Micro is still a new standard and is rather unpopular but it should pick up speed this summer.

The mobile device also offers the well-known Sony Ericsson Full HTML browser along with built in RSS feeds reader.

Sony Ericsson V630 is expected in June.

You can use it in the USA but you can pay to unlock it for about 20 Euros(-+30 dollars)on internet

Collapse -
It's a phone!
by Alucard_Bravo / May 24, 2006 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Phones

Ok, i have a realitvely primiitive phone by today's standards, it takes calls, it texts, it has a few games, and it has a primitive color screen. No Internet, no IM, no downloadable ringtones or games, no mp3 capibilities, no camera.

My standpoint on things is if you want a camera, get a digital standalone camera, it takes better pictures, greater ease of use and it has a greater ability to share pictures with your computer.

If you want Internet, get a laptop, also, you can IM and put music on there, and if you feel like it, grab a low cost mic, download skype and voila you have a phone

So, in conclusion, i believe that phones should get back to the basics, make calls that arent dropped, have a good keyboard if it comes with txting capibilities (i cant stand that ones that fold out of phones for txting or IM, they are too flimsy and the buttons are too small.) And overall be a low cost high efficency telecommunication device.

Collapse -
Weather forecast
by casecorgis / May 23, 2006 11:11 AM PDT

I often use my phone to check the weather forecast where I live. Knowing the upcoming weather can be important in my line of work, and the weather here along the coast in SE Virginia can change often.

I sometimes do check the news as well, but the weather is more often the "other" feature I use my phone for.

Collapse -
Checking Weather
by thewaldo1389 / May 23, 2006 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Weather forecast

How do U check the weather?
Which site do U use?

Collapse -
Checking the weather
by casecorgis / May 23, 2006 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Checking Weather

I have Sprint as my provider and use's forecast from the Sprint Vision homepage. Different providers may have differnt ways of accessing the internet. Also, most providers charge for access either by a monthly fee included with your plan or pay as you go. Check with your provider for your particular details.

Collapse -
by mikeskara0 / May 23, 2006 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Checking the weather

Why not just turn on the radio? It's free and comes on every few minutes with all the news radio stations out there.

Collapse -
Alarm clock
by thetomcat / May 23, 2006 11:14 AM PDT

I use mine mostly as an alarm to remind me of things to do. It's especially useful since it rings even when tirned off.

Collapse -
OOPS!, I forgot about the alarm
by wasnot / May 23, 2006 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Alarm clock

I do use it as a backup alarm to wake me up in the morning.

Collapse -
It's a Great Alarm
by stheis / May 23, 2006 12:32 PM PDT

My favorite feature of my cell phone, aside for making and receiving calls and the camera is the alarm. I use it in the morning or anytime I am getting ready to go out - it can be set with three different times and I use it to keep on schedule. Plus it is portable so I can carry it with me from the bathroom, to the closet, to the kitchen, etc.

Collapse -
Alarm Clock... and that's pretty much it
by mjhart77 / May 23, 2006 12:36 PM PDT

At first, I answered the poll question tha I pretty much just use my phone for making calls. Then after seing the first post in this thread, I realiezed that ahh yes, I tend to use the phone as an alarm clock on weekends if I end up crashing in a bed that belongs to someone besides myself. I wish this happened more frequently, but nonetheless, it comes in handy.

Other than that, my phone (a Samsung P207 via Cingular) is pretty much just used for calls. At this point, I don't think a typical cell phone could replace my digital camera, email, internet explorer, or my old fashioned day-planner, for that matter. I'm satisfied with my current phone, but am looking forward to new options which will be available when my onctract is up for renewall next year.

Collapse -
Best alarm ever
by pleasantsa / May 23, 2006 2:22 PM PDT

It's a shame to have to pay so much for an alarm clock, but it is great for this purpose!!

Collapse -
by jla10021 / May 25, 2006 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Best alarm ever

I wholeheartedly agree. I've never had such a reliable and useful alarm clock - it wakes me up in the morning, reminds me when I've got to get my daughter to her oboe lesson, tells me I'm running out of time to bid on eBay - when was an alarm clock ever that good? And the bonus is? I can use it as a telephone and text messager!

Collapse -
Alarm clock that adapts when I do
by PhilBert / May 23, 2006 2:42 PM PDT

When I first bought a cell phone, I thought of it only as a phone. I have never wanted to take pictures, surf the web, or use any of the other features of the phone. However, the one place I find myself using it most is as an alarm clock. It is especially great since I eventually become used to the sound my alarm clocks make and somehow seem to become immune. With my cell phone, I can change the ring from time to time (never anything that doesn't sound like a type of ring, since I despise all of the stupid musical rings that people use) to counteract my issues with becoming immune. Also, I don't have to worry about power outages.

Collapse -
That strange appendage
by pyecheri / May 23, 2006 11:22 AM PDT

When driving, I pull over and stop before talking on my phone - wish everyone did. You don't have the right to endanger lives by talking and driving at the same time.

Oh for the days when virtually every human encountered did not have a phone stuck in their ear - especially if I have to listen to their conversation. Rude, boring, and unattractive. I tell them so!

Collapse -
Cell Phone Manners
by lkpeterson / May 23, 2006 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: That strange appendage

I agree 100% that too many cell phone users are rude and inconsiderate. I work at an information desk in a hospital and people will walk up to me and I think that they are talking to me so I ask them how I can help them before I realize that they are talking to somebody else on their cell phone. Also, they are talking so loud that you can't hear other people who are asking for information. When they are done talking then they want immediate attention.

Collapse -
Text Messaging Dominates
by madiazderivera / May 23, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

Text Messaging has been a blessing to most phone users in my country. Sending a text message costs about 2 cents here in the Philippines and with that I think I have used text messaging more than any of those features.

Collapse -
Text messaging and the Alarm Clock function - Rock!
by loneale / May 24, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

I have an LG9800 with full QWERTY keyboard. I love the photo op but only because I can send those quick photos via a text message to family and friends. We have a Verizon North America plan because I live in Canada. I can quickly text a message to one of my children with a photo, if desired, and they know what's up, where I am, and what's on my agenda. I don't care about the games...usually the kids play them on a trip. I also love the Alarm clock - three different options including repeat days, using ring tones as alarms (I wake up to Smashmouth during the week and Dobbie Bros or REM on the weekend) and just this once, please. I think the new phone/PDA functions are great.

Collapse -
poll is too limited
by tychocat / May 23, 2006 11:41 AM PDT

I use the phone as a phone, true, but I surf the web in my spare time, exchange text messages, and use the calendar/alarm functions to keep me on top of my schedule. I love the camera, and use that all the time. the poll should have probably read, "What do you do with your phone besides make calls with it?"

Collapse -
Limited, Yes. Communications Device
by tommycooperatl / May 24, 2006 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: poll is too limited

I use the Treo 650 as a full communications device. Mostly phone and text messaging. All contact information is with me at all times as I am out of the office quite a bit. Yup, I'm one of those that moves around a lot.

I use the calendar semi-frequently, but I do use the Memos/Notes feature quite a bit as it has information that I need when I'm on the go.

BTW, if I did not need a phone for work I would not own a a cell phone.

Collapse -
Texting is biggest use.
by wsmontgomery / May 23, 2006 11:42 AM PDT

Since moving to the Philippines last year, the primary use of the cell phone became the sending/receiving of SMS text messages, next is actual phone conversations. Gaming capability is used while waiting in banks or government offices when I don't have a newspaper. The camera is used pretty often for recording information or evidence for technical or legal investigations. That use is not a daily occurance more like weekly. In Japan the SMS capability is almost unused but every phone is used for sending and receiving emails. These differences between, USA, PH, and Japan are driven only partially by culture. The greatest driving force is tariff structures.

BTW: I have read and answered text messages while operating a motorcycle. I do not recommend this Happy

Collapse -
Keeping track of my life
by lthomson01 / May 23, 2006 11:47 AM PDT

I use my cell phone to keep track of my to do list, keep my calendar, surf the net, holds all my contacts information, send and receive text messages and more. The thing I hate about my cell phone is that I am constantly losing my signal. I have 2 phones - 1 for work and 1 for personal and I can take out my personal phone (a cheap free Samsung) and make calls when I don't have a signal on my HP ipaq (very expensive) and this irritates me.

Collapse -
Voice, text, Internet
by Holly Klug / May 23, 2006 11:54 AM PDT

We use it for internet on the go, especially at our cabin. The biggest problem is that new phones don't have antenna adapters, and the reception at our cabin is non-existant for all but one carrier, which has very poor reception. We even registered our Illinois Tollway Transponder using our Clie PDA and Sony Ericsson Cell Phone immediately after buying it while travleing.

Collapse -
Cell Phone Use
by LTWISDAL / May 23, 2006 12:16 PM PDT

Just as cell phone users (abusers) use them while ordering fast food and get their orders wrong, a much more serious and dangerous use is while driving. You probably see it daily yourself, that is, if you're focused on your driving. Speeding up, slowing down, wandering in and out of lane, running red lights, speeding through school zones, and causing near accidents. I use my cell phone strictly for emergencies, and have an older model Audiovox MVX505. According to those whom I've called on it, they rave about the clarity and sound quality. I don't often hear that from users of the new phones, and most users at work, have to go outside or in a stairwell near a street, to get quality communication. Mine works everywhere, however, it's a basic phone without the bells and whistles. New cell phones are like new toys for children. But then again, the manufacturers and users know that, don't they?

Collapse -
What do you mostly use your cell phone for?
by spoole1 / May 23, 2006 12:36 PM PDT

Hey's a phone.
It's not a camera. (Talk about your poor resolution)
It's a lousy music resource.
It sucks as a GPS.
Pay games on that miniscule screen? Right!
Tesxt message...the new "dumbing down" of America. u r 2 cute! Yeah, apply for a job with these language skills. Can you say, " do you want fries with that?"

Collapse -
Great one
by harley-d / May 23, 2006 12:53 PM PDT

I could'nt have said it better. It's a PHONE, you know folks, the thing you use to make and receive calls.

Collapse -
Perfectly Correct
by mikeskara0 / May 23, 2006 1:18 PM PDT

I agree with everything you said. It is a lousy music resource; I use the radio feature on it only when I am moving from room to room late at night.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.