Cameras

Question

What do you mean LARGE pictures or major cropping?

by rama_k / December 12, 2012 5:46 AM PST

After giving up on my great OM-2 and my Canon Rebel that used <gasp> film!, this old granny got by for years with a Canon Powershot A80 - 4.0 MP and a "huge "3x zoom.
Happy
The lens stopped working on it, so I now just take pics with my HTC incredible. It has started to freeze up and reboot after every 4-5 pics, which stinks. I'd really like to get a "regular" compact point & shoot camera with some auto and self-adjusting features, that isn't too pricey, i.e. $200-ish. (Considering there are some good sales right now, I think that is feasible). I am looking at the Canon Elph or Panasonic Lumix line with a decent zoom and wide angle, would appreciate a HDMI connection, and some good features. Many of the reviews have either an oral or written "Con" that says something like "not good for enlarging pics or for excessive cropping". I assume you do not mean 4x6's? How about 5x7's, or even an occasional 8x10? I'm not into professional portraits, but there are those pics of family that I'd like to enlarge into a decent larger print once in awhile
Thanks for your help on this, and on any suggestions of 3-4 cameras I might check out.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you mean LARGE pictures or major cropping?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you mean LARGE pictures or major cropping?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Here's a sleeper unit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 6:17 AM PST
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUII4/

It's all of 69.99, has a View Finder and what I'm using for an industrial application because of the view finder and it's ease of use. Not to mention the price. There are a surprising number of nice touches at this price such as image stabilization and more.

Did I mention it has a view finder?

Yes it's not my only camera but for the price I think it's a sleeper and a bargain. Here's a snap.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/IMG_0022.jpg

There are a lot of choices out there.
Bob
Collapse -
Want a bit more
by rama_k / December 12, 2012 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Here's a sleeper unit.

Thanks for the info. Reviews are good on the camera; however, I think i want a bit more features. Also, still haven't figured out the many Cnet reviews where Josh Goldman or others say that if you want larger prints or extensive cropping, this camera isn't as good. I am trying to find out what the reviewers mean by larger prints and cropping, i.e. "poster" size prints, or just 5x7's.

Have a good day.

Collapse -
Meaning
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Want a bit more

I can think of two reasons they might say that a camera isn't good for large prints of severe cropping.

1. Not enough pixels - for an 8 x 10 photo to get optimum results you need at least 7 megapixels.
Too many pixels can yield a poor large photo too. The average point and shoot camera of 14 megapixels or larger will suffer from lost detail because the sensors are so noisy.

2. Poor resolution - If the photo is not sharp down to the pixel level, large photos will show a smudged appearance on small items such as blades of grass and leaves on trees.

Take a look at the Panasonic ZS15 (TZ25).
It is 12 megapixels and produces very sharp images.
You can probably find one for about $200.

Collapse -
Ah! I think I get it
by rama_k / December 13, 2012 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Meaning

Snapshot - that info helps with my question. I guess I thought higher megapixels automatically meant more quality - but then kept seeing the pixel warning on their reviews. You explained it well.

A local discount store has a Panasonic Lumix ZS19 on sale for $169, but it is 14.1 mp and a 20 zoom. More than I need, and I've read that some of the cameras with touch screens aren't great.

I will check out your recommend, and some of the other smaller MP cameras.

Thanks much.

Collapse -
Panasonic
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: Ah! I think I get it

The ZS19 is the same as the ZS20, except without the GPS.
I prefer the ZS15 over the ZS19 or ZS20.
The lens on the ZS19/20 shows vignetting, which means the corners of the pictures are slightly out of focus.
And they both use a 14MP sensor, which means more noise, which means a loss of fine detail.

Every once in a while, camera companies put together all the right parts and produce a real winner.
That is the Panasonic ZS15.

The ZS19/20 is a good choice but the ZS15 is a better choice.

Collapse -
Thanks
by rama_k / December 13, 2012 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic

I appreciate your help. How is the battery life? Is the battery charged with USB in camera?

Also, it's not a huge deal, but does it have the shiny, slippery case? A lot of cameras do, but I see some now have a less-slippery case that does not show fingerprints.

Collapse -
Battery and slippery case.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.