The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What do you do with your home videos after filming?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 8, 2006 8:47 AM PDT

I transfer them onto my computer and edit them (what editing software?)

I burn them to DVDs (edited or just raw footage?)

I leave them on the media it was recorded on (what media is that?)

I don't have no stinking camcorder

Other (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you do with your home videos after filming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you do with your home videos after filming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Vegas Studio Platinum to the Rescue
by jtinsley67 / August 8, 2006 12:34 PM PDT

I've been through Pinnacle, Ulead, Roxio, MyDVD and Windows Movie Maker and finally found Sony's product. The only thing I could ever ask for in Vegas is a storyboard view but I've gotten used to working without one.

Collapse -
editing software
by ktcherry / August 8, 2006 12:51 PM PDT

Is Sony Vegas Studio really that good? I, too, have been through all the others. I would love to have Final Cut Pro, but I don't have a Mac right now. Is there anything similar to Final Cut for Windows?

KC

Collapse -
yeh.. sure is.. Adobe
by sebguyard / August 9, 2006 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: editing software

Your answer would be Adobe Primiere Pro.

Does everything you would want Final Cut Pro to do. However, the only drawback is that its not on a Mac Platform, which means its not easy as cheese to understand. In other words, if you;ve never used Final Cut Pro, or have vary little experience with it, you may have very little idea what you are doing. I would suggest tutorials if you're new to editing with higher end applicatons.

Another drawback would be price, however if your even considering purchasing final cut, you probably are aware of the investment and might find it worth your money to not purchase a mac just fro final cut.

If this interests you, I believe adobe's website offers a 15 or 30 day trial of the program for free.

Collapse -
IMovie and iDVD
by vidyman / August 8, 2006 12:47 PM PDT

It just works

Collapse -
ditto
by the Otter / August 8, 2006 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: IMovie and iDVD

?nuff said

Collapse -
It doesn't get any easier
by marybethcarroll / August 8, 2006 10:52 PM PDT

My 16 year old sister and I (23) use iMovieHD to go through our recordings from my Canon MiniDV camcorder. It takes quite a while, although we're sort of perfectionists, but I think we have more fun editing the video than we do watching it. In fact, I rarely even burn them to DVD because we won't really sit down in the den to watch these silly movies. But we could! And iDVD is so easy to use.

I'm not trying to be an Apple fanboy (or fangirl) but for toying with video, I haven't found a better solution. We have several Windows machines in my house and one iMac, and the iMac is the go-to solution for this sort of thing. The next best thing I've found and occasionally use that's on a similar level as iMovie is Adobe Premiere Elements ($100 on the Adobe website, $82.12 on Pricegrabber http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Adobe_Premiere_Elements_2_0,__12596466/search=Adobe+Premiere+Elements).
Haven't found a good DVD-making solution. But iMovie and iDVD are bundled with the iLife suite, which is preinstalled and built into the price of any Mac.

Collapse -
I Just use my Digital Camera
by fatpants / August 12, 2006 10:49 PM PDT

I have a Fuji Finepix m603. Apart from taking good stills, it takes excellent Video as well (30 FPS @ 640x480). Fuji dont make this camera anymore (which is a shame) when I bought it a couple of years ago, it was the best quality Video I could find (other DSC record video at only 15 FPS or only 320x240 which both look terrible).
It can use Microdrives / Compact Flash and xd Memory cards, so I can easily record a couple of hours of high quality Video. 1GB xd / CFII cards are cheap at about

Collapse -
iMovie
by my4sit3 / August 9, 2006 2:09 AM PDT

Yeah, very simple, never crashes [unless you decide to, um, leave it on in a lightning storm while out of town Sad ]... but very simple for easy projects. I like that auto "Magic" feature esp. And that it works on OS X. Always a +.

Collapse -
I use it too
by sultanqasim / August 10, 2006 3:10 AM PDT

I use iMovie because it it makes good looking movies and it came with my mac.

Collapse -
Pinnacle DV Studio 10
by oliviatuh / August 8, 2006 2:23 PM PDT

Effects, transitions, menus, music - great software!

Collapse -
Pinnacle
by ibraftn / August 9, 2006 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Pinnacle DV Studio 10

I just bought Pinnale Stidio 10 and I am learning the software. Pulled off still shots of running rafts through whitewater on the Colorado river. So far... Pinnacle rocks!

Collapse -
Pinnacle
by my4sit3 / August 9, 2006 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Pinnacle

It always crashes on me... while importing.

Collapse -
Good, but...
by sebguyard / August 9, 2006 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Pinnacle

I think Pinnacle tends to be a bit buggy for people.. But overall its a VERY easy to use application with limited possibilities. However, if your just editing home videos it's probably perfect for you.

Collapse -
Pinnacle made me switch to an iMac
by gtmarty / August 22, 2006 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Good, but...

I started with Studio 8, then 9 and all their iterations and then 10 which was really terrible and ultimately 10.5 which was much better. Still, you'd be in the middle of something - editing a clip or adding an effect and it would crash and then have you tell them what you were doing when it crashed. I was such a PITA - getting anything done was onerous. I'd read so many positive things about iMovie and the iMac that I made the leap. I'm so glad I did - it is stable and easy to use. I think that because of my extensive experience with Pinnacle products, I was way ahead on the learning curve. Pinnacle put out product way too early. Made sense tho' - get your customers to be the beta testers. It irritated me enough to switch. I'll have a look at Final Cut after a while.

Collapse -
Pinnacle Studio 9.3 & Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
by jschneids / August 9, 2006 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Pinnacle DV Studio 10

Since the new addition to our family 3 years ago, we went out and bought a Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV250, a Sony CyberShot DSC-F828 8 Meg Pixel Camera and a 3.2 Ghz PC with 2GB memory and (2) 300GB HD's . As new parents we started taking lots of pictures and as time goes by we have slowed considerabley. However with all the taping and photos and her parents in one state and mine in another, we needed to put this stuff on DVD's and send them a set as well. We tried several editing softwares that were cheap to purchase, but was also cheap quality (You get what you pay for).
We finally bought Pinnacle Studio 8 (www.pinnaclesys.com) with a VIVO card (Video In & Video Out) which later we upgraded to Studio 9. This software has been the easiest to use and makes very excellent quality DVD's. We can easily add and mix photos and video recordings, as well as add background music from either MP3's, WAV's or from the SmartSound library that is included with the software. Pinnacle Studio is absolutely our choice for editing when we are short of time since it is quick and easy to use.
I am the sort of person who loves to experiment with everything, so I also tried other more expensive software including the Adobe CS2 Suite & Premiere Pro. I love challenges and their software is just that, but if ever you want a software with all the bells and whistles, they have it! Their Photoshop CS2 is the absolute best for editing your photos. Touch-ups to get rid of of a pimple or sightless mole is easy and flawless with the ''Spot Healing brush tool''. Adobe has demos at their web site (www.adobe.com) you should go check them out. Their software is not cheap, it's not all that easy to use (at first), but you do get the very best professional quality available photos (even from scans) and videos from your equipment. Photo prints outs after touch ups in Photoshop are as beautiful as if a professional had taken them with an expensive camera.
If you are going to make family photos you may want to consider to make appoinments on your calendar as a ''TO-DO item''. Otherwise you will end up throwing your tapes or discs on a shelf and not getting things done. Then their is a chance you may not get to see that stuff ever again, esp. if you have one of those old dinosaurs Beta or VCR tape formats. Children grow fast and it is a shame to have pictures of them crawling and learning to walk and none of them during the other significant moments that could bring a laugh or tears to your eyes later.

Collapse -
Pinnacle Studio 9.3
by drenfer / August 9, 2006 8:06 AM PDT

I have been using Pinnacle Studio 9 for over a year and have found it to be a great program. I am in the process of converting all of my analog tapes to digital and have experienced very few problems. I would recommend Pinnacle Studio 9.3 to anyone. I have heard there are problems with Studio 10.

Collapse -
Adobe Primiere
by sebguyard / August 9, 2006 3:22 PM PDT

Indeed, it is a program that does it all. Fairly hard to use if you are inexperience with higher end applications. You may want to seach or invest for/in tutorials for it. OR you can always take a class.

Collapse -
We transfer them to a VHS tape
by vanhalen2004 / August 8, 2006 2:42 PM PDT

We have a camcorder that uses the small tapes to record. Then we have to take the small tapes and transfer them to a full size VHS tape. We do that by plugging the camcorder with the mini cassette tape in it..into the VCR. And transfer the material to a full size VHS tape. If we want to view the material before doing all that, then we can take the small tape and put it into a full size case and put that into our VCR to view it. Plus our camcorder does not have the screen that you can flip out on the side to view material or flip out to use as a viewer when recorder. We actually have to look into the SMALL eye piece to film and see play back. Our camcorder is 12 years old. We got it when our 12 year old son was born. But at least we have one!!

Collapse -
I'm learning to use Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0
by westernshs / August 8, 2006 2:53 PM PDT

In conjunction with a video capturing device (ADS Tech Pyro A/V Link) I'm in the process of learning to use APE 2.0 to edit and burn my VHS and 8 mm tapes to DVD. I could also use this software to edit miniDVD tapes and burn the captured video to DVD in the same way. Since APE 2.0 is robust software, I'm now in the process of building a faster computer that will be able to handle this task easily.

Collapse -
Adobe Premier Pro 2.0
by HPL41996 / August 8, 2006 3:01 PM PDT

I've just started learning Adobe Premier Pro 2.0. It's a somewhat daunting task for me. I've not really mastered much at all, but I'm looking forward to being able to. I transfer from my Panasonic Camcorder with Mini DV straight into my computer using a fire wire. Works great so far. But I'm just learning half of what I didn't know was half of.

Collapse -
I stick with video clips now.
by BXCellent / August 8, 2006 3:01 PM PDT

We used to record lengthy movies on the camcorder, then go through the process (using the old Intel WebCam with S-Video input) of converting them to AVI / MPEG and possibly writing them out to disk.

However, with our Casio Exilim digital camera, we now just take lots of 5,10,15,30 second, up to a few minutes of video clips. These are already in AVI format, which is nice. Before putting them on the web, we often do a quick input / export using MS Movie Maker to cut down the size.

We used to (and I'm sure everyone does) get bored with home movies, video clips are so much more palatible and entertaining.

Collapse -
I agree
by harpman0824 / August 8, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

You end up fast forarding through most stuff anyway. Clips are deffinatly the best wat to go. The only problem i'm having is trying to find a DVD player that suppoorts Quik Time Movie

Collapse -
Editing Home Videos
by 3john1 / August 8, 2006 3:05 PM PDT

For interntional travel, like a recent trip three week trip to Africa, I I used Pinnacle 9 to edit, title and burn a DVD. I did not add narration because my HP computer crashed. I'm going to finish the editing job using Apple iMac's i Photo

Collapse -
Leave it be
by tintinmilou / August 8, 2006 3:11 PM PDT

I pretty much leave it on the 8mm tapes.
I have transferred some to DVD to send to family, especially since I can transfer it to PAL format for our family in France.

Collapse -
Leave it be (2)
by tintinmilou / August 8, 2006 3:14 PM PDT

As I said, I leave it on the 8mm tapes.
For one thing, what is the projected life of a DVD? Two or three years.
A tape will last twenty. At least.

Collapse -
transfer and..
by MrMe003 / August 8, 2006 4:02 PM PDT

i transfer videos from my phone then i edit these or mix the files with quicktime pro and then i upload ready project to youtube Happy

Collapse -
What do you do with your home videos after filming?
by EmjaY / August 8, 2006 4:51 PM PDT

I use Pinnacle 9 to produce DVD's from mini dv tapes. It is a fairly slow process but gives good results.
Recently, my 6 year old camcorder was lost so I had to consider which format would be my replacement. I dismissed dvd for the reasons given in your thread; I was tempted by hdd ones, but at the time in the UK that was limited to JVC and Sony and I had some mini dv tapes which had not been transferred and would have had no way of viewing them.
I have therefore bought a new tape based machine, a Panasonic NV-GS280 and hope I have made the right choice.

Collapse -
Not Again!
by paulreon / August 8, 2006 5:01 PM PDT

Groan! I hate it! By the time I cotton on to new technology - it's going! going! gone!
and I'm only 66!!

Collapse -
Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus Titanium
by EricTheO / August 8, 2006 5:49 PM PDT

Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus Titanium. I clean up and edit audio for my movies with 10 and Adobe Audition 2.0 .

Collapse -
Final!
by stew32 / August 8, 2006 7:36 PM PDT

I used to use iMovie but ive now moved on to Final Cut Express HD, both are much better than Windows Movie Maker hehe:D.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.