The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What do think about this mind-controlled skateboard technology?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 20, 2012 9:14 AM PDT

To give you some context to this poll, read this blog here and check out the Molly Wood's video:
Board of Imagination: A mind-controlled skateboard. Seriously

What do think about this mind-controlled skateboard technology?

-- It's awesome and I want one now!
-- It's about darn time. (Please explain.)
-- Yawn, it's nothing new. (How so?)
-- Bleh, I could care less. (Why?)
-- Other. (Tell us about it.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do think about this mind-controlled skateboard technology?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do think about this mind-controlled skateboard technology?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bleh, I could care less.
by Slasher / March 20, 2012 10:51 AM PDT

I chose "Bleh, I could care less." because I could care less. That is, I think it's really cool.

You Americans need to stop using the wrong phrase. It should be "I couldn't care less"!

Back to my crumpets...

Collapse -
Let's all Get A Life FIRST
by skycatcher / March 20, 2012 11:33 AM PDT

Mind controlled skateboards are use electronic components. Electronic Components, in more advanced stuff than this, has failed in the past....!! ...lots of times.

So you race down the street, at full speed, collide with someone, they fracture their skull and die. You go to court and say... "But... your Honour... I THOUGHT I was going to miss them...!!!"

How about we put this to better, and safer, use before we start THINKING too much

I can't believe that Skateboards are the first to receive this technology.... so this means that the Military 'already have' Though Operated Guns...

Stop the the world... I want to get off... NOW....

Collapse -
Mind-controlled skateboard technology.... ???

It's time to realize (your poll suggests it) that your average reader is not an adolescent (or aging) skateboard user who goes googly-eyed over mind-controlled toys, and smart ones who DO use skateboards, probably are into their bodies and health, not mind-control.

And many of your techie-lover fans are actually elderly (I am 70), but agism discourages them from fessing up.

Collapse -
I heard about it before...
by JCitizen / March 20, 2012 1:29 PM PDT

One of the developers told me about it. We thought they would use if for gaming controllers. Happy

Collapse -
You can not use self powered skateboard to move you.
by hifly.liu / March 20, 2012 2:26 PM PDT

Please use your brain. Skateboard can only move your feet paws, but your body's gravity center is not on your feet paw. So you'll stumble anytime when you want it to move.

The correct implement is to use the mind control device on a self powered throttle jet equiped on your back. Then you can fly at your will.

Collapse -
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
by Bob_Meyer / March 20, 2012 3:00 PM PDT

I read Molly's blog and watched the video when she posted about this skateboard last week.The whole Chaotic Moon Lab story is pretty cool, but what really rocks is that they made this new thing out of stock, off the shelf hardware put together in a way to make something completely new and revolutionary. This technology mashup has really big potential for people with all kinds of disabilities. Think paraplegics in lower body exoskeletons, or quadraplegics in articulating motorized wheelchairs. Think about people with ALS. Imagine a surgeon with an extra microscopic hand. Have you ever needed an extra hand?

If you can control a skateboard with your mind, just by putting on a headset, stepping onto the board, and thinking where you want to go, what can't you control with a little training and practice? Weapons in an Apache helicopter? Computer controlled milling machine? Real time PowerPoint presentation with active backgrounds and realtime video? Nano machines inside your own body destroying individual cancer cells? If you reverse the wires can you read minds? What happens if you cross the streams? Total protonic reversal.

Collapse -
It blows my mind.
by cmptrsue / March 20, 2012 3:10 PM PDT

Think of all the potential uses for the handicapped: wheelchairs, assistive devices for quadriplegics, etc.

Collapse -
Mind controlled akateboard

I am weighing in on the 6% of the people because this is on the edge technology. If the bugs are all worked out, there are mindblowing consequences for this. both good and bad. It will change forever how we control ANYTHING mechanical. Cars, airplanes, medical equippment etc. We would be beyond even the imaginations of Captian Kirk and Spock.

Collapse -
Awesome. And applications for 'good' would develop over time

Yeh! Wicked. But I don't want one!

As with every 'transducer' technology in history, gradual perfection of the technology would/will provide fertile minds with lots of ideas for its use. I wait expectantly for some brilliant innovation, if and when the behaviour of the all-important 'transducer' bit (the part of the system that reads minds) becomes predictable, reliable and sufficiently inexpensive to make its adaptation worth while.

Collapse -
Mind-controlled skateboard
by skooter2 / March 20, 2012 10:58 PM PDT

"in the year 2525. . . . What happens if one thinks about falling?????

Collapse -
Worse than that...
by JCitizen / March 21, 2012 2:03 AM PDT

Whose to say they can't do the reverse and start controlling your mind! Devil

Collapse -
It beats the mindless stunts of today's boarders
by cvacinc93 / March 21, 2012 3:50 AM PDT

I did not see any steering of the wheels. Maybe a demo with a real skateboarder(Tony Hawk?) would be more convincing. I think the wheels are too big to allow regular skateboard steering technique. The high center of gravity would be quite unstable..I, personally, would not like to jeopardize the life of my Thinkpad in such an application..

Collapse -
mind-controlled skateboard technology
by mylovem / March 27, 2012 4:34 PM PDT

it maybe will let us more and more lazy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.