TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

What do I Need to Stream Netflix and TV Shows

by Stuckindamud / October 6, 2009 2:37 PM PDT

I know I'm going to buy a Bluray DVD player able to accept Netflix. Computer and HDTV are in separate rooms and hard wiring too difficult so I'm thinking of Belkin or other brand of Powerline adapter? Do I need a router since I only have one PC? If so, wired to hook into the Powerline adapter or wireless. The TV is HDTV but not ready to accept Netflix.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do I Need to Stream Netflix and TV Shows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do I Need to Stream Netflix and TV Shows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't need a blu-ray player but they are a convenient
by minimalist / October 7, 2009 9:43 AM PDT

way to stream Netflix. You could just get a Roku box for 100 dollars if budget is an issue (you will need an ethernet connection or a wireless adapter though). Some players (like the LG BD 390) come with built in wifi adapters for connecting to a wireless network. Amazon has that one for $260 right now.

I have found however that Netflix streams a lot more reliably (even in HD) when you take the wireless netkork out of the mix. Since my living room also has an Apple TV and an Xbox360 I decides to move my router and cable model to my entertainment center and hardwire all of that equipment and let my desktop and the laptops be the only devices using the wifi network. It works beautifully.

Collapse -
streaming movies Netflix
by jp608 / April 23, 2010 3:48 AM PDT

I just bought the latest Sony Led tv NX800, and the latest Blu-ray. I thought I would have everything I needed to stream Netflix. apparently I don't. What else do I need? I have a Gateway computer.

Collapse -
You need a router.
by minimalist / April 23, 2010 4:01 AM PDT

Anytime you want to have more than one device (and that includes computers) connected to the the internet, you need a router to split the signal up. Even with a wireless router (I think most are wireless and wired these days) Netflix streaming will be more reliable with a wired connection so run that cat 5 cable if possible. Wireless will work in a pinch but most blu-ray players do not come with built in wireless adapters (LG's a few Samsungs and PS3's being the exceptions) so if your player does not included built in wireless networking you'll need to buy an access point too.

Collapse -
Router is all you need in addition to what you have.
by WildClay / April 12, 2011 3:53 AM PDT

If you have a TV and Blu-ray player that supports Netflix, then all you need is an internet connection on your Blu-Ray player. Since you don't have a router, my might look at the Dual-Band 802-11n routers, but as noted, wireless is not the optimum connection but I can say it works pretty well with my Panasonic Blu-Ray player, Comcast Internet, and a LinkSys wireless router.

As noted by others, if possible, go wired to your blu-ray player if you can. I am not familiar with that Sony model, but Blu-ray players come two ways "WiFi Ready" and "WiFi Included", if your set is just WiFi ready you will also need a USB Wireless fob for the Blu-Ray player and a wireless router. If your unit has WiFi included, then you just need the wireless router. Again, if you go wireless you want as fast a wireless router you can get and that pumps the price up.

Also note that if you attempt the approach mentioned here about putting the internet router by the TV and have your PC run wireless, just make sure there are not filters on the cable leading to the TV, mine is that way and until you remove the filter from the cable, internet will not work. The filters for mine are in the basement.

Good Luck

Collapse -
Here's an inexpensive way!
by Jack in Taos / April 9, 2011 8:20 PM PDT

I didn't even know about NetFlix Streaming until I purchased a Sharp Blu-Ray DVD unit at $99.00 from Amazon!

The initial menu came up with the NetFlix option. We've used the he'll out of it ever since. It works on every electronic device in the house including iPods and my Droid!

So now I have both NetFlix and DVD/HD for one low price.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.