Mac OS forum

General discussion

What do I do now?

by johnjewkes / October 3, 2006 4:32 PM PDT

The Mac Power PC had a drive error, and now won't boot. I have the Original 8.0 CD, the Upgrade 8.5 9.2.2 and 10.2.1 CDs. NONE will run and boot the machine using either the 'c' or the 'OPT-CMD-SHIFT-DEL' tricks, and I do not have a 'install' floppy. The unit has two 4.3 Gig HDDs. HALLLLP. Only other machine is a PC.

Thanks Much, John Jewkes

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do I do now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do I do now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Indeed that is a problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 3, 2006 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: What do I do now?

The only two CD's in that collection that "might" boot that machine is the 8.0 and 10.2.1 Cd's.
Given that you have the original 8.0 disks, this machine must be pushing retirement age. You did not mention what PowerMac it was nor what OS you were running at the time of the crash.

First, try this. Disconnect BOTH HD's. Put in the 8.0 disk and try to boot from the CD.
If it boots, add ONE HD back. Try again.
If successful, add the second, if not, change out and use the other disk.

If that fails, repeat with the 10.2 disk.

These drives could be SCSI, depending on the age of the machine, but that should not present a problem.

Collapse -
Very likely SCSI
by m0kume / October 5, 2006 8:59 PM PDT

I have owned Macs since the mid 90s, that small a drive is almost certainly SCSI.

Collapse -
Sound's familiar
by Tom Lee / October 6, 2006 7:23 AM PDT

A few years back, I had a problem with my PowerPC 450 with two internal hard drives (no master-slave set-up). I got a "kernal panic" warning on my screen and eventually got a circle with a line thhrough it. I took it down to an Apple store where a very patient "genius" spent two hours trying to troubleshoot it using diagnostic software. It wasn't until he started to disconnect the hard drives and reconnected them one at a time and discovered one of the drives was dead. By leaving the dead drive disconnected, I was able to boot up normally.

Collapse -
Just an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2006 9:53 PM PDT

Look up the UBUNTU Linux for powerpc and see if they have an install routine for your machine. I remember reading the firmware had to be at some version to boot the CD on really old units. I'm not a good historian on old macs but would look over the UBUNTU notes for clues on alternate installs.

Collapse -
silly it save me once...
by FabRio / October 5, 2006 2:08 PM PDT

put your 2 HD in 2 very tight thick plastic bags and chuck them in the freezer for few hours.let them deefrost at ambiant temp for a while,If they start again, save your data and chuck them in the bin.with the commang you have been using without success, its very probably a mecanical problem.

Collapse -
Just some suggestions
by gmm421 / October 9, 2006 1:32 AM PDT

What is the model of the computer? I'm surprised that a machine that was shipped with the original 8.0 CD was also able to run 10.2.1. If you have made any modifications to the computer over the years (e.g., upgraded CPU, RAM, etc.), consider removing them and seeing if you can start the machine as it was first built with the original system disks. it seems kind of odd that both the hard drives and the CD drive are not able to boot your machine.

I have a Power Mac that has a hard reset button inside of it (a red CUDA switch?). If you re-create the machine as it was shipped and press that button, everything may go back to the default position and work; or, you would at least be able to start from the CD drive if there are no other hardware failures.

Regarding zapping the PRAM, I think you have to hold down those keys a couple of times (3?) in order for it to work. Also, do you get a sad Mac screen with a code underneath the icon? when you listen to the computer, does it make any normal sounds or abnormal ones?

If your machine is trying to boot off the bad hard drive, press the letter C (or is it option?) to force the system to boot from your CD drive instead of the hard drive which is in question.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.