Computer Help

Question

What disk do I need? purchase and reintsall windows?

by bigplayer2382 / May 23, 2013 12:55 AM PDT

MY COMPUTER: Toshiba L650 64 Bit Windows 7.

BACKGROUND: I had a virus i could not get rid of (iexplorer virus) so i downloaded a bunch programs to get rid of it (I've had my credit card stolen twice in past 4 months and think this is the reason). In the process of deleting stuff which I probably shouldn't have been deleting, an error came up saying I was having hard drive problems. I think at this point i deleted my boot up system or something important. I turned off my computer 30 mins later and at this point was never able to turn it back on and get into the desktop.

I wanted a factory reset so I tried everything, starting up with F8 and F12 for "repair my computer" it wasnt there, The hold down 0 key trick, didnt work. I spent hours looking up ways, to no avail.

WHAT I DID: I figured that my hard drive is trash. So i went on newegg (after doing tons of research) and bought a new 500GB 7200rpm hard drive to replace my 500GB 5400RPM harddrive.
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856 )

I replaced the old hard drive with this new one but am not sure what to do now. I keep hearing I need a new media disk, or i need to re-install windows now. Is a media disk the same thing as a boot disk? Will this solve my problem? I would REALLY rather not pay $90 for windows 7 when I already had it. I'm looking for the cheapest solution that will work.

I appreciate any help I can get! Thank you very much!
Brian

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What disk do I need? purchase and reintsall windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What disk do I need? purchase and reintsall windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can download the ISO from Digital River
by wpgwpg / May 23, 2013 1:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
didnt work
by bigplayer2382 / May 23, 2013 3:44 PM PDT

I tried this multiple times and it all came to the same results. An error message which read

" Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

Fior Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7(11/02/10)

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

This is with the disk in, and if i take it out and put it in and press any key it just repeats. When i start up the computer using DVD it has the same error.

Collapse -
Get a replacement DVD set from
by glb613 / May 23, 2013 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: didnt work

the manufacturer.

Collapse -
Answer
Call Toshiba
by Jimmy Greystone / May 23, 2013 1:08 AM PDT

Call Toshiba, and tell them you would like to obtain a set of recovery discs for your unit. You may have to pay some small fee, but it's usually around $20 or so, making it considerably cheaper than a new copy of Windows at retail.

Some have also found success downloading the generic Windows 7 image from Digital River, and then using the product key on the bottom of the unit when prompted. You'll be on your own to get the proper drivers from Toshiba if you go that route, but it's free if you don't count time and resources.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.