TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

What digital video format is best for burning DVDs?

by motomcgee / June 26, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

The following post is about file format or conversion, prior to burning on a DVD; with the ability to watch in a regular, modern, Blu-Ray player. I am not attempting to violate any laws, I am not doing this for profit, etc. This is a personal use only question.

I've tried to find the answer in the forums; however, everyone is confused and confounded about the simple DVD-R / DVD+R / etc... questions.

I know what DVD Disc to use - I am referring to file conversion prior to burning? Do most modern Blu-ray / DVD players, have a specific, preferred, format?

For instance, these are currently in Windows Media Format. Should I maintain that format or convert to avi, DivX, AVCHD, MPEG-4, MOV, etc... I'm not sure what AVCHD even is; however, I do remember seeing it on BD-Player boxes (most current models), but also recall seeing DivX.

I have never had luck with DivX, the whole burning the software to disc in inserting it into the BD-Player, before using, etc...confusing Sad

Is .mov or MPEG-4 consistently recognized formats on a finalized disc?

Also, these were downloaded and purchased in HD and my player/TV is 1080P HD...how do I use that in my consideration in conversion? Which format will keep the best, original HD quality and SRS Dolby Digital sound?

Thank you for your assistance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What digital video format is best for burning DVDs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What digital video format is best for burning DVDs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
None it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 4:00 AM PDT

HD on DVD is not a standard. Your BD player will set the rules of what works.

"Is .mov or MPEG-4 consistently recognized formats on a finalized disc?"

No. The BD PLAYER decides this. There is no accepted standard except BD for HD. You can guess why. If you don't know why, I can answer but it is unpopular.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok....Thanks...How about...?
by motomcgee / June 26, 2012 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: None it seems.

Thanks for your response. Yes, that does make total sense. HD is not standard on DVD - dumb question. That is why there is DVD up scaling - right? Wink (Rhetorical).

Ok. So, of course, the BD Player will decide what is playable and not playable...however, in your experience or knowledge base (with so many brands)... Is there a universal accepted format or a "most popular format" readable by a BD-Player? For instance, all Sammysong brands are known for being AVCHD compliant, while all LGEE brands are DivX compatible. Maybe SonicPan will play WMA files.

Perhaps files burned in MPEG 4 will be playable on any BD-Player.... Am I making any sense? Besides my made up names of Brands? Mike

Collapse -
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 4:59 AM PDT

I put the MPEG-4 and AVCHD files I find on the DVD and test it. It's a shame we can have the model you are targeting so we can make this work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Do most modern Blu-ray / DVD players, have a specific,
by ahtoi / June 26, 2012 2:08 PM PDT

preferred formats? The answer to that is..yes. Although I don't know what it is but there is a "standard" for each. I am not familiar with AVCHD but I am familiar with Divx. Divx is pretty popular but it is not the "standard". The reason I don't use that format now is because it take too long to encode it. I don't do much with BD either, because I don't have the software for it. I have done some HD in divx long before HD was popular. Of course I could only play it with my computer because I didn't have a hi-def TV at the time. You said you never had luck with divx...what do you mean by that?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 4:19 AM PDT

DivX is a copy-righted encoding and to put it into the BD players the maker has agreements and more to arrange. So not a standard.

There is a standard for Video DVD (not HD!) and Video BD but you are not using those standards so all bets are off since anything else is machine/maker dependent. The DivX question is too easy to answer as I was there during some discussions where the company that markets DivX was pitching it as the solution for HD on DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
What I am missing in this discussion is...
by Pepe7 / June 27, 2012 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

...whether or not the OP is intending to play back data files with a Blu Ray player (with Blu Ray media burned as data discs), or author specific types of video files from a PC, such as .MOV, .WMV or .MP4 as Blu Ray discs to be played back seamlessly with any standard Blu Ray player(?)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.