Internet Service Providers forum

Question

What device shoul I purchase?

by toxifier / February 19, 2013 1:03 PM PST

Hello!
I am not here to rant about my ISP, but seriously they are not going to help a bit in cutting down my bills. Since they charge a non-refundable, one time charge for the modem(approx. equal to it's cost) and almost 5% of the cost as 'rent' of the modem alone every month, I decided to purchase my own Modem.

They gave me a Sterlite SAM300(TM)AX ADSL2+ Modem(12V/1A). [4 RJ-45 ports, 1 RJ-11, 1 USB port, Power On/Off Button, and Power-In port]

I am a bit confused with what should I buy. The scenario is as follows:

At my place there are atleast 2 devices connected to the Internet almost all day long, so I need more than 1 RJ-45 port(since not all have WiFi connectivity, and sometimes I need to setup a LAN for file transfer). I need the WiFi facility, currently lacking in this Modem(if I ask my ISP to issue a WiFi enabled modem, there would be yet another one time charge, apart from an increased monthly rental!). As far as I know if a buy a router alone, things won't work. I'm confused between buying a modem with WiFi or a Router+Modem with WiFi. Or if there can be another suggestion(apart from changing my ISP), I would be grateful. I have also found a budegt friendly Router+Modem - TP-LINK TD-W8951ND but I am not sure if that'd be too much for my requirement and also if it is a good enough device(I don't know much about TP-Link, though my experiecne with Netgear has been good enough)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What device shoul I purchase?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What device shoul I purchase?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
But a problem with new Modem
by chetan88 / February 19, 2013 10:17 PM PST

You can stick with your current modem and buy only switch with wifi facility. But, buying a new modem will cut your mothly charges with no service from your ISP about modem.
SO, you can buy modem if you are sure that you donot need ISP to rectify any sort of issues related to modem. They may also say all the problems are arising because of your modem and they may not provide even a single service other than connection.
Think about all this and then buy swith or modem.

Collapse -
I guess you're right.
by toxifier / February 21, 2013 11:00 AM PST

Talking to the people around using the same ISP, I came to know that the chances of the problem NOT being solved by the ISP are more than 99%. They just put the blame on the modem we purchased without even checking once. Moreover while searching through the Internet, this was reported by a few people on the ISP's own forum. I guess I'd rather buy a router or a switch as you say, but can you suggest something? I saw a pocket friendly one, TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router, and another from the same company, TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router. If I am using an internet connection with 512Kbps speed, does it really matter which one I'd buy?

Collapse -
Answer
Compatibility with ISP
by sunwatcher / February 19, 2013 11:07 PM PST

You should check with your ISP on compatible modems. You should be able to find a list of devices on your ISP's website. If you purchase a modem that is not supported, be sure that you have the ability to set it up yourself. Your ISP may not assist you with setting it up, or they may charge a fee for assistance. Worst case is it may not work at all. If you state your ISP, you may get more relevant answers from the forum.

Yes, you do need a wireless router modem (wifi router modem). The TP Link that you listed is probably a good choice, but I would do some research on product reviews. Also be sure that it is compatible with your ISP. I have a TP Link wireless router that has worked very reliably for about a year. You shouldn't worry about buying a device that's "too much" for your requirements. Buy something within your budget and rely on product reviews from reputable sites such as CNet.

Collapse -
Much appreciated!
by toxifier / February 21, 2013 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: Compatibility with ISP

As per your suggestion I checked through the ISP's website. My ISP is MTNL, one of the leading ones in my country. But I guess they have not updated their website, and in case they have their compatible list is just too small(It didn't even list Linksys/Cisco). The only name I ever heard from the list they gave was of DLink, but it's Router+Modem is almost double the cost of that of TPLink and thus won't be that much helpful with the cost-cutting. I guess I must buy just a Router/Switch with Wifi capability. Though I won't be able to cut down my current bills, but atleast I would be able to save much on the ones that would have been if I get one from my ISP. So, I saw a pocket friendly one, TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router, and another from the same company, TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router. If I am using an internet connection with 512Kbps speed, does it really matter which one I'd buy? Moreover I would be grateful if you could suggest other alternatives in case they these are not that good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.