Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

what cd burning software will make cds that play in my car?

by shemtaos / April 5, 2004 1:56 AM PDT

When I burn cds in Realone player they will not play in my car. What software will burn cds for me and create cds that will play in my car?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what cd burning software will make cds that play in my car?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what cd burning software will make cds that play in my car?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:what cd burning software will make cds that play in my car?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2004 11:27 PM PDT

You'll have to perform a simple test. Does that CD play in other CD-Audio players?

If it does, then your car CD-Audio player may not like CD-R media. I know most (in fact all!) car units won't play CDRW that I've tried.

This is mentioned in the CDR FAQ at http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-23

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:what cd burning software will make cds that play in my car?
by edcook / April 18, 2004 1:25 PM PDT

Try burning at a speed of 12x or slower. I found that my Aiwa car CD unit would not play any disk recorded at more than 12X.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:what cd burning software will make cds that play in my car?
by slobod / April 19, 2004 2:53 AM PDT

I just saw your name in the forum, and wondering where you're from, cause my father has the same name.
if you'd like to reveal that info, my e-mail is slobod@kdsi.net. thanks, Donna

Collapse -

Unless you have a new radio that plays MP3's, CDRW etc you need to use software that creates CD's with .wav files. This format plays in home units as well as in the car. I use Roxio CD Creator, but Ahead Nero will work as well. Also there are some utilities that will convert MP3's to .WAV.

Collapse -
by AlW / April 18, 2004 11:56 PM PDT

Wrong on the CD-RW, Pioneer in fact has a model that plays CD-RW's fwiw.

Good way to check music before ya put it to a CD-R, if tracks all sound good, burn to the CD-R, if not, delete the bad ones and add more if ya like.

Al

Collapse -

Just make sure when you are burning the Cd-r that the sortware is configure to burn it as .WAV format. That's the file that most cd's are burned on, and that's what I do in my car as well. I like to use musicmatch, the full version have a very easy cd burning features.

good luck.

Collapse -
by protozee / April 25, 2004 7:38 AM PDT

If you are trying to record mp3s you need to convert them to wav files, I had the same thing happen to me , the wav files work just fine then.

Jimmy Zee

Collapse -
by Blndy62 / April 12, 2004 5:46 PM PDT

i use nero express under music i pick audio i tried mp3 and it didnt work i heard nothing. anyway also use a CD-R i tried CD-RW and it didnt work then i read somewhere not to use them. i have recorded up to 25 songs on 80 minute music CD-R, and they work in my cd player in the truck and my boom box. im fairly new to recording music but i have tried NTI burner program and MusicMatch jukebox which i have paid for the special ripping program but was partly successful with that one but some of the music sounded like chickmunks even when previewed they sounded ok, also i find that Nero Express is simple and easier to use and understand for me. hope this helps
Lynda
NB828@aol.com

Collapse -
by skbasu_488 / April 25, 2004 4:36 PM PDT

Dear Friends,
To start with I must explain you that basic CD audio files are all in CDA format which is almost same as *.wav file format.The other compressed popular music file is MP3(MPEG II or III) format.Generally the quality of MP3 is poorer than wav or CDA format(sound quality wise)I got the best quality at 256Kbs in MP3 which could be acceptable.
There are many free ripper or conversion sofware you can use CDEX version 1.40 Beta 7 ( download site http://www.cdex.n3.net to use CDA>WAV or WAV>MP3 there are many options.But always make sure that the bit rate should not be less tan 128 Kbps while converting.Then you can use Nero 5 or Nero 6 to convert & compile *.mp3 or CDA files at a speed not more than 1200 kbps so that you can play in any cd player be it old or new.

Collapse -
by Marlene / April 18, 2004 1:12 PM PDT

after burning a cd, it must be finalized for it to play in a car stereo or any home stereo system. adaptec has a great and easy to use software program made for it. look in google for the site to buy it. it also allows you to do videos, mp3's and many other things with simple drag and drop formatting.

Collapse -
by D.W. Read / April 18, 2004 1:26 PM PDT

The CDs I burn will play in all the car stereos I've tried, and in a player I bought back in 1988. But they won't work in my Sony DVD unit; it flashes the error message "NO DISK", as if it can't even see the CD. But "boughten" CDs work just fine in the DVD player.

Collapse -
by maddawg / April 20, 2004 2:49 PM PDT

This may or may not be relavent. I have a JVC 200 disc home changer that does not work with 80 min cdr, but will work with 74 min cdr. This changer is about 8 yrs newer than my single disc home player and that old unit plays 80 min cdr. If you can get a 74 min cdr to try it may work, they are hard to find. I use adaptec/roxio easy cd creator. Good luck.

Collapse -
by Kloos / April 18, 2004 7:25 PM PDT

This is quite easy if you use Nero - Go to Config and choose the 'aiff' plugin !

Collapse -
by themanstan / April 18, 2004 1:22 PM PDT

The new Cd's are prepared using a new Red laser technology--if your car is more than a year or so old, it probably uses a blue laser to play CD's---This is an incompatability---
Adapters are available at local electronic stores to overcome this--but for a car , a bit cumbersome--

Collapse -
by Pomacat / April 18, 2004 1:53 PM PDT

The best for burning cd's that I have found is Feurio CD-Manager It will test mp3's for missing frames and defects. It even burns the text so it will display on players that support text display of tracks.

Collapse -

try using nero or veritas, I play music with no problems in car cd and car stackers

Collapse -
by warrensamuel / April 18, 2004 1:56 PM PDT

I have found one of the best CD burning programs is Nero, dowloadable free at nero.com. I have burned off about 600 cds without making one glass holder....if you have troubles with the setup, email me at warsamuel@netscape.net

Collapse -
by tweetybird / April 18, 2004 1:56 PM PDT

try changing your burn speed....i've noticed anything more then 12 will only play on the new models.
hope this helps

Collapse -
by LITTLESTAR / April 18, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

Over the years I have had problems burning cds. I think I now have it solved. When i put the pc together i kept my cd rom and the HP 9100 burner and added a new Samsung 52x cd/dvd unit. I was using CD Creator sound stream and it worked with no errors but took an hour and a half. Then i decided to just go with disc copy using the HP as source and Samsung as the receiver. going at 16x took 10 minutes, no errors and plays in my Apex dvd player and the car cd player.
Anyone interested in some old coasters?
STAN

Collapse -
by medicineman / April 18, 2004 3:32 PM PDT

I use NERO exclusively to burn CD's. I never had a problem playing any audio CD's on a factory Nissan CD changer. (Regardless of what the burn speed was.)

Collapse -
by ondclayt / April 18, 2004 4:06 PM PDT

I have tried using Realone Player also in the past but found a simple to use application from Sonic, called RecordNow 6. It is very easy to use and very basic.

Good Luck

Collapse -
by Keith_C_A / April 18, 2004 5:09 PM PDT

I have found that Nero is a good product, however you do need to watch the burning speed as well say 8x is good. In other products you need to make sure you are burning them as CDA format and not MP3 as they load onto your computer. In shor Nero. Check Speed. Check Format.

Collapse -
by Grababe / April 18, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

I found that I was having this problem when I first started to burn my own CD's.
I use Nero software and I always burn on the lowest speed ( 4 x ) I have no problems now.
It also depends on how old your CD player is.
My CD's that I burn, play in my car, but not on my CD player I have in the home. That is because ( I have been told ) that my home CD player is old. It will play the pr- recorded ones, but not the ones I burn.
Such is life.

Collapse -
by xpuser357 / April 18, 2004 9:58 PM PDT

Roxio is what I use. But I have not heard of yours,
The thing to do is to close your cd after burning.
with my program it asks you, in case you want to put more on the CD. you may have to check on yours if you can close it.

Collapse -
by ParaBazza / April 19, 2004 1:09 AM PDT

Mate!....You need to burn your audio as Wave format, get the Audiograbber 1.82 (Fabulous for the low price) from http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net You will then need the Lame converter recommended by Audiograbber.
I use Nero as my burner program, but any good brand should do. Copy off your selections from a CD, your H/D, or DVD using Audiograbber in Wave format and save it onto your Hard Drive. Then using your burner program burn it onto a CD, which will automatically burn it into cda format and off you go.

Bazza.

Collapse -
by ParaBazza / April 19, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

Correction:- Sorry fella!...I wrote "Copy off your selections from a CD, H/D, etc. Mate!...if it is on your hard drive as Wave format, that is what you need"
unless you copy direct CD to CD, but I think that will be illegal due to copy-right protection, be careful.
Windows Media Player will copy as Wave to H/D also.

Bazza.

Collapse -
by balrog49 / April 19, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

I've found that the quality of the CD-R disk is more critical than the software used to burn it. CD-Rs purchased at your local store don't work very well, particularly TDK. In addition to skipping or not playing at all, they warp from the heat of your car stereo. I trade CD-Rs with a lot of people and I've received ones that play but won't eject until the car stereo has a chance to cool down.

I use only silver/blue Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui disks. Both can be found on eBay and various online stores. If you buy them in bulk, 100 disks for example, they're actually cheaper than the crappy "brand name" disks they sell at retail stores.

Collapse -
by mariodiaz67 / April 19, 2004 3:33 AM PDT

I have nero cd burning software and it ask you what type of files you want to burn and it tell you which ones won't play on just any stereo. so you better check this software or upgrade to a better sound system for your car.

Collapse -
by higasauras / April 19, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

You might try using the CD-Rs that are made for music. Using Nero 6 to burn them, the regular Verbatim CD-Rs I use work great in my car but not in my wife's.

Collapse -
by dpierce74 / April 19, 2004 7:24 AM PDT

I don't think anyone really knows what is going on, personally. I have a 2000 civic. CD-Rs I made years ago on my old 4x burner start up right away for some reason. BUT the cd player struggles to find the tracks on CD-Rs I made with my 48x burner. Sometimes for 5 minutes if I let the thing. I have tried different media, different software, and different(slower) speeds, yet nothing changes. All my cds work in every other optical drive(dvd, discman, home cd) I have with no struggles.I think the only solution is to upgrade to a new car stereo that is CD-R/MP3/WMA compatible. Sorry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.