TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

What can i use for Polk Audio Monitor60 series 2 speakers?

by dizzyrapper18 / November 23, 2012 12:32 AM PST

I am looking for receiver suggestions on these speakers I recently purchased. It will be my first time putting together my Home Audio System so I want it to go soomthly. I'm gratefull for the help. i will be most likely be adding a su and rear speakers so if i can get some help on those too, that would be great. I'd assume to stick with the Monitor60 series 2 for rears being the fronts are. I need to figure out what type of wires to use. I did not receive speakers yet so i might have to wait for that to see what wires and how to hook them up to the receiver. Thnk you for the help.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290210

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What can i use for Polk Audio Monitor60 series 2 speakers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What can i use for Polk Audio Monitor60 series 2 speakers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have not keep up with receiver rating lately, but...
by ahtoi / November 23, 2012 2:14 AM PST

Onkyo has been pretty well rated a couple year ago. I see the speaker impedance are 8 ohms so the receiver should be rated the same if all possible. As for speaker wire, I generally use #14-16 lamp cord. They are large enough and yet flexible enough to work with.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 2:23 AM PST

Let's hope those folk that can hear splices in cables or the Oxygen in the copper are not reading this.
Bob

Collapse -
what about wattage?
by dizzyrapper18 / November 23, 2012 2:35 AM PST

should i be looking at wattage also or just ohms?
these are 200 watt max speakers and the sub is 340 rms do i need to look at total watt for the receiver. im not sure what to look for in receivers.

Collapse -
With wires, we worry about Amperes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: what about wattage?

But let me assume it's 8 Ohms and 340 Watts RMS. I won't go deeply technical here but let's see if we will be pushing our luck with say 100 feet of 16 gauge copper.

100 feet is 0.40160 Ohms for 16 gauge copper. So we're fine if our 8 Ohm speakers lose a few Watts along the way. Purists will squeal but it will be fine. 14 gauge gets us a little less at 0.25250 Ohms which is negligible.

As the few Watts are spread out along the 100 feet of copper, heat is a non-issue.

There are insanely long discussions about Watts in receivers versus Watts of the speaker but it's rare to see folk push what looks to be 740 Watts of audio power in your den. If I was to do this I'd shop for the mid range of that power maximum in the amplifier. I would not try any 20 Watt amp.
Bob

Collapse -
little more receiver
by dizzyrapper18 / November 23, 2012 10:49 PM PST

i think the sub comes with its own amp since it has a power cord and lvl switches and all that on its own. i have heard i should try to find a receiver with a LFE inport. but i would most likely only get a couple bookshelf speakers for the rears so thatll total 5 speakers so i should look for a 5.1 receiver, right?

Collapse -
If the sub comes with it's own amp.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: little more receiver

Then we have more fun as we sort out what signal it wants. I can't guess this since the documentation is absent but it doesn't mean we're toast. It only means we have to be careful about the first power up with the volume knobs on the first amp/receiver set at zero as we power up. I can spot if I need to put in some other attenuator in the next few minutes as I turn the volume up a little. (the sub kicks in early.)
Bob

Collapse -
back to recievers...
by dizzyrapper18 / November 25, 2012 2:45 AM PST

so the speakers are 8 ohms and 200 max watts for the towers and i think 125 for the center. not sure what rms would be but id assume around half if not a little less. so what kind of reciever should i look for? can you send me a link of an example receiver youd recommend? i bought th speakers off newegg so id rather go through there but if you have somewhere else you look at let me know.

Collapse -
We can over analyze but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: back to recievers...

I've never seen anyone play a many hundred watt system at peak volumes in a home. Well, I wasn't there if they did. Newegg has many units so try picking a few and ask what folk think of your choices.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Polk Monitors
by samkh / November 24, 2012 4:36 AM PST

are efficient so a 5.1 receiver with 75W per ch + powered sub will rock your cave. In this season, you should find some mid range receivers on sale for under $250. You missed some under $200 on BF but those prices may come back before 12/25.

If you can be patient, wait for Newegg to put Polk 10" powered sub and Monitor 30 or 40 surrounds on sale.

Good luck.

Collapse -
i got the psw505
by dizzyrapper18 / November 25, 2012 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Polk Monitors
Collapse -
That sub
by samkh / November 25, 2012 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: i got the psw505

is a good buy altho you only need 10" but 12" is ok.

Again you don't need more than 75W but if you can afford more, go for it. Don't worry about speaker impedance specs. Look at Denon and Harman Kardon for better sound and cooler performance. Avoid Pioneer.

Collapse -
thanks for the help 1 more thing
by dizzyrapper18 / November 26, 2012 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: That sub

i emailed the polk audio people asking what would be best and a lady contacted me saying to try and get a 7.1 that offers atleast 100 watts per channel and bi amp capability. onkyo, denon, yamaha, harmon karden is what she said. you can bi amp the main ones which would be my tower towers getting more power to them. not sure if its worth it. any ideas? or should i just say screw it and go with 5.1?

Collapse -
btdt - bi-amping
by samkh / November 27, 2012 1:47 AM PST

is over rated, I can't hear difference. Count on sub for bass.

Screw it and go with 5.1

Collapse -
They are up-selling you (n/t)
by Pepe7 / November 27, 2012 4:16 AM PST

n/t

Collapse -
1 more thing nd ill start looking...
by dizzyrapper18 / November 28, 2012 1:02 AM PST

ok then, i will loook at 5.1 receivers. i usually look at newegg. know of any other sites that work just as well?
would i use the HDMI to connect it to the TV? i know id need 14-16 gauge wire for the speakers to the receiver.
Any suggestions on out puts and extras that receivers must have for it to be a good one? LFE, the auto calibration, etc. thanks for the help .
Pre-ins and outs for dvd players xbox? i know xbox can be used for a HDMI cable. but asking. what would my tv need for me to hook it up to so i can listen to tv and movies and games>?

Collapse -
Yes, HDMI to HDTV
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2012 2:41 PM PST

Use HDMI for as much as possible, really.

Auto-calibration is helpful but not necessary.

Amazon (etc.) is a fine place to shop too, along with crutchfield. Actually, you should visit the crutchfield site to learn more about what you've asked me above ;). They have some useful diagrams and info. About.com is another place you can glean some more of the basics. Start slow, research/read a lot, and then pull the trigger on your purchase.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.