Computer Help forum

General discussion

What can I do to stop spam?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 28, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

I'm not what you would call an experienced user, and this is the first time I've encountered this problem. Is there any way that I can get rid of a whole list (was recently on holiday for a month and there were 350 of these!)of spam from people (all seemingly with real names!), wanting to increase the size of my xxxxxxx, give me my winnings from lotteries, sell me cheap pharmaceuticals, give me a new mortgage--and a whole lot of other stuff. I delete them without opening them and wonder if I shouldn't open them to find an unsubscribe button? Is the only solution to change my e-mail address? I've had this one for a long time, and that might create some interesting glitches. It's only within the past couple of months that these delights have been showing up, and it seems to be increasing at a horrifying rate! How did this all start? What can I do to stop it? Any suggestions? Thank you!

--Submitted by CNET member Jo B.

Answer voted most helpful by our community newsletter readers

Dealing with SPAM...

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, UNDER PAIN OF DEATH, NEVER, EVER, EVER SEND A REPLY TO SPAM!!!!!!! Not even if you think your life depends on it.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I'll tell you why. Spammers sometimes send out an email with a destination that's "close" to your email address. For instance, your email might be The spammer might send one out to - note the extra S. Many email servers, thinking they're doing you a favor, will automatically forward such emails your way, thinking the sender may have misspelled your email address by mistake. It happens.

So what happens when you open spam and worse yet, send a reply? You're doing something that puts a smile on the spammer's face. You're VALIDATING your email address. Even if that spammer is "honest" enough to not send anything your way, they WILL sell their list to others and now they can actually TARGET you for far more spam than you can shake a stick at.

And if you think that's bad enough, it gets worse. MANY bits of spam have nasty payloads attached to them in the form of viruses and other crapware that can infect and slow down your system. All you have to do is open them and due to vulnerabilities in Windows, IE, Firefox, etc..., you can get infected - even if your AV is up to date.

Third, they may also contain tracking elements - tiny 1 pixel x 1 pixel graphic images that log your opening and downloading of the email. More often than not, they log your IPA address.

Even if the email itself is "harmless", more often than not you won't find any "unsubscribe" links - just a link that WILL more often than not lead to very dangerous web sites that can infect your system with some sort of downloader or other nasty malware.

Changing your email address is not a long term solution either. Ok... You will, no doubt, in the short term, make your inbox seem quite empty. But as you pass out the new email address to the sites you normally visit, and if any of those sites are unscrupulous and desperate enough to SELL their email lists to other people, odds are, you'll be back to square ONE - namely the vast volume of spam in the inbox. This, btw, is more often than not how the whole spam cycle starts. You visit a site, you sign up for a newsletter, and they sell your email address as a part of their list to one of their "affiliates" who in turn may sell it to someone less scrupulous. And that person will sell it to even lower forms of human scum and so forth.

Sadly, there's no easy way to stop spam. As long as even 1 in a million people actually open and out of desperation, stupidity, or by way of some other brain fart, click on the link and god help them spend money on the spammer's sites, the spam will keep on multiplying.

As PT Barnum once wisely spake, "There's a sucker born every minute." Unfortunately, this is still true. If it weren't true, spam wouldn't be an issue. Spammers, like anyone else in business, do it because there's money in it for them.

The bottom line - it's best to delete spam wholesale, sight unseen, punitively, without mercy or giving it a second thought. It's a fact of modern life like getting up in the morning and going to work. And done right, you never have to get past the sender's name and the subject of the email. Just highlight the whole batch, look through it and find and unmark those that are legit and send the rest of the spam where it belongs - oblivion.

--Submitted by CNET member Wolfie2k5

Please read on for more advice and recommendations on this topic below. There are many great advice and suggestions from our members!

If you have additional advice for Jo, let's hear them! Click on the "Reply" link to post. Please be detailed as possible in your answer. Thanks!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What can I do to stop spam?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What can I do to stop spam?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Getting Rid of Spam
by kdoiron / September 28, 2007 11:39 AM PDT

Hi Jo,

Sorry to hear about all of your spam. Consider yourself lucky to only have 350 of these after a month. At my office address, which I don't even publish, I get almost that many every weekend!

Anyway, the best thing you can do is to delete them all. If your email client allows you to sort your inbox by subject, do so first. This will help to group the offending emails together. Then simply highlight all of them and delete them. DO NOT OPEN ANY OF THEM, if you haven't already. There are email tracking tools out there that report back that you've opened an email without you knowing that this is happening. That will ensure that your email address is flagged as a valid one, and you can count on getting more of this wonderful stuff in your inbox. If you have opened any of these messages and you see a link to unsubscribe, don't click on it. Again, all you'd be doing is sending a signal that your email is a valid one.

Once you've gotten past the current batch of spam, try to turn on the junk filters in your email client. You don't say what client you use, so I can't tell you how to do this, but there should be information out there on the web, if you can't find it in the help screens. You can set rules in Outlook, for example, to automatically route messages that have certain words in the subject, or that are from people not on your contact list, to a different folder than your inbox, so that you don't see them.

Whatever you do, just remember that the messages are spam. Don't take them seriously, and if you see any that ask for personal information, don't give it out.

Don't worry about changing email addresses. My experience is that these things come in waves. However, if you need to publish your email address, for a newsgroup, for example, then sign up for another one (hotmail, yahoo, etc), and publish that address instead. The spam will start to fill up that one pretty quickly, and not your "serious" email inbox.

Hope these ideas help.

on(Outlook, Outlook Express re are a few things you can do.

Collapse -
question for kevin
by hpdirtnerd / October 5, 2007 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Getting Rid of Spam

I found your tips very useful. My problem is a little different because I am running software that my system was not made for therefore when outlook express opens up it almost locks down sending/recieving new messages. The trouble is that in this pseudo-lockdown a spam message is selected and I do not know how to change that since outlook express defaults to the newest message. So my question is, per your advice of not opening the email, how do I make Outlook/Outlook Express not automatically open these emails? And while your at it riddle me this; why do bogus addresses with very lewd subject lines come through the filters yet emails from get filtered? I have the filters set very high and we included an extensive list of lewd words yet, and pardon me, emails with the subject line "my boyfriend's **** won't fit in my mouth" escape the filter with ease.
I appreciate your input.

Collapse -
question for kevin - Outlook/Outlook Express
by xarophti / October 18, 2007 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: question for kevin

One thing you must do in Outlook/Outlook Express is make a change in your "View" option. Make sure your Preview Pane is turned "off". When the Preview Pane is on, it's as good as opening the email, since Outlook must "open" the email in order to preview it to you. As far as what's wrong with Outlook's filters, couldn't tell ya. I see the same thing where I work (the only place I use Outlook). I look at the header info on a spam about "replica watches" and Outlook shows on the keyword list "watches=0" when the subject line is plainly "replica watches". Go figure.

Collapse -
Getting Rid of Spam
by wattene / October 7, 2007 12:56 AM PDT

The way I handle spam is to use Mailwasher -, a free program, which you can download and install and I then use the mailwasher program BEFORE I use Outlook Express or whatever. This allows you to preview your emails on your ISP server and it also gives you the option to delete and even bounce the email back to the original sender. The spammers also hate spam!! Only downside to the free mailwasher program is that it will only check one email address, but you can purchase an upgraded version to handle more than one email address.

Collapse -
Getting Rid of Spam
by jmtces / October 7, 2007 1:43 PM PDT

As a few of the wise respondents said, you can't stop spam. Your options then are limiting spam or potential threats they sometimes bear.

Whitelist: The most effective way to limit spam is to use whitelists and to set up your client to reject/delete all emails not from people on your white list.
Cons: Hard to maintain. You will miss legit emails from your whitelisted clients/freinds/family when they change their email or mail from friends/associates of your whitelisted who were given your address for legitimate contact.

Strong Spm Filter: Strong spam filters like SpamAssassin, etc do a good job and can be tweaked using white/black lists, Bayes filters, etc.
Cons: all spam filters will sometimes get it wrong and it is a never ending fight between the spammers and Anti Spam SW vendors with each leap-frogging the other at times

Webmail: Not effective for stopping spam but you can delete spam before it is downloaded to your PC and prevent potentially harmful exploits from reaching your email client.
Cons: Webmail is slow and the delete process even slower. A courious look at one of the spam messages could trigger an IE exploit. Webmail junkmail filters are usually to broad leaving you to have to salvage some legit email from your junkmail folder.

Changing my email address: A new email address would not be on any spammers maining list so you'd be realtive spam free.
Cons: I don't know about you but this would cause more problems than getting spam. Some spammers target domains or bruteforce possible names in a legit domain. In a relative short period of time your new email address would be on some spammers list and you'd be back to square 1.

My method of dealing with spam is simple: I use PopPeeper which is a simple resident (low resource) mail client that checks my 2 pop and 2 webmail & 1 IMAP accounts at regular intervals or on demand and notifies me when I have new mail. Every morning when I wake, I have received some 300 emails of which 90% are spam. I open PopPeeper, sort mail by subject or From where I can highlight long tracts of easily identifiable spam and ctrl-click the rest of the spam I recognise. I then press delete to remove all this off my ISPs server webmail or IMAP server before they ever reach my PC. PopPeeper also has an text & html mail viewer that will allow me to read in the same format I would see it in my normal mail client without fear of triggering an exploit just in case I get some mail from a ligitamate sender who's PC was taken over by a mail bot. I can read and reply all from Poppeeper without ever having to open my outlook. then when I know I only have legit emails left on the server, I launch outlook from poppeeper and retrieve my good mail. I have polling turned off on all my accounts in outlook but send immediately turned on.

Download free PopPeeper from or read about it first at

james Taylor

Collapse -
I get NO spam now !
by ronmac60 / October 29, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

I've read all the posts re SPAM and find them thoughtful and most interesting.

Most of us have a spam filter so when we come back after a few days, there may a few hundred unwanted spam messages in the spam folder which take NO longer to delete than if there were only three or four.

But if it really bothers you here is a system I have used.

Make a list of all the people whom you wish to have your e-mail address. Now subscribe to some web-mail and get yourself a new address, say for example Send this address to the list of your friends only.

Now cancel all the others that send all the spam. Of course your main address (from your ISP has to be changed as well)

From that moment on you will not get ONE spam. Yours friends have your new address and mail from and to them

Collapse -
Email spam
by callison / September 28, 2007 11:41 AM PDT

Do not open those emails, and do not look for the unsubscribe. That only gets your email address spread around more.

Collapse -
Alias Email Address Is A Big Plus
by whbos / September 29, 2007 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Email spam

callison is right! Don't unsubscribe from these spam messages. It just confirms your email address is correct and they will do their best to make you even more miserable by selling or giving your email address away to everyone else.

I use Norton 360 which, besides anti-virus and firewall protection also flags spam into a separate folder in Outlook (and other email programs) so you can check to see if they are legitimate or spam. Sometimes you have to manually add others by clicking on a button that says "This is Spam." It works for me since I made a huge mistake responding to an ad using my private email address. I know now that anything sent to that email address is spam because I seldom use it.

Some, if not all, ISP's give you the option to use alias email addresses to use when you are using a site you are not familiar with or suspect they may be adding your email address to their selling list. I know Earthlink and Verizon have this option. For me, it's been very useful since if I start receiving too much spam with that "bogus" email address, I can always delete it and get a new one. You can receive email from these alias email addresses, but if the sender is misusing it then you have the upper hand to stop it.

Collapse -
about norton 360
by D3V1ANT 1 / October 5, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

hey.i had the 2005 norton,i hated 360 any better.i havent heard much about it.but i know(from experience,and word of mouth)the older ones using avg,its good,but i was hinking of buying a premium package(te:paid for,as opposed to free.)an im looking at whats out there.

Collapse -
Spam A Lot
by kyrhett / September 28, 2007 11:50 AM PDT

Not knowing your present ISP, I suggest you try using AOL. It has an excellent Spam filter and has stopped most of the Spam heading my way.

Collapse -
Email spam.
by suprglyde / September 28, 2007 11:57 AM PDT

I use Spambully. It isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but you can "teach" it to kick-out what you don't want.

Collapse -
by mittens / September 28, 2007 12:01 PM PDT

welcome to the wonderful world of spam, Jo B. First off, do NOT open any of these unless you're sure your virus programs and adware programs can handle it. Many of them merely record that yes, it's been opened, and oh boy we got a live one. This is all automated, and often if you do use or find the unsubscribe button it just takes you to the site and they can record that you've been there. Or it goes nowhere.

Second, contact your server about a heavy duty spam blocking program. Many servers will add one on for you, but it's up to you to activate it and use it. Postini is the one we use, and it's wonderful. Keeps the baddies in their place.

I know this is radical, but when any piece of mail appears on your computer, it leaves an address behind in your address book. One way to cut down the clutter there and minimize the risk of sending on spam and worse to your friends, is to close out the address book completely, if you can. You really dont need it, and the thoughts of inadvertantly sending your best friends a virus can be terrifying...your only alternative is to go through the address book and delete all the addresses that the spam leaves behind. It's one of the most vulnerable spots in your email package, frankly.

Collapse -
adress book.
by D3V1ANT 1 / October 5, 2007 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: spam

how do i close an adress book?is it the same as contacts(msn)?i dont get tons,but more than i want.

Collapse -
by irishbob / October 7, 2007 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: spam

The only way that can happen is when you send and email to that address AND

It can only happens when the mail service you are using set up to do that such as Yahoo.

Anything else is an urban myth. I would never delete my address book.

Collapse -
Next weeks question re: 350 pieces of email --
by x36b4u / September 28, 2007 12:16 PM PDT

NO!!!! Do not open unless you know who sent it or have requested to have it sent to you. Just delete it and forget it.

Collapse -
Reducing spam
by babbage31 / September 28, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

SpamBully from axaware is by far the best! The people are great! I wouldn't use anything else!

Collapse -
Getting Rid of those Common Spam Types
by purposed / September 28, 2007 12:36 PM PDT

Jo, you actually asked several questions. The first is how to select and get rid of a "whole list" of them. If by that you mean can you somehow select them all and delete them in one simple operation, the answer is "probably not". However, you can probably get rid of many of them in a relatively small number of steps. Unfortunately, without knowing which email reader you use, specific advice is of uncertain operability. Nevertheless, I am sure other members can offer some good solutions; I am posting to offer a potential solution to your other question - "what can I do to stop it".

This also depends on your email reader application, but assuming you are running an email application on your local machine (as opposed to web mail) there is something you can do. It is challenging to set up, but thereafter rather easy to use. And, there is quite a bit of setup help on the web.

Before I describe it, I will just say that if you use webmail, then these days most webmail applications are becoming sophisticated enough that they should be doing a lot of it for you. If you are running webmail, you hopefully have a "spam" button or folder. Just keep moving this junk into spam for a while, and eventually the webmail application will begin to get smart enough to do it for you. You will thereafter need to check the most recent "spam" mails each time you check your email, because these filters do make occasional mistakes, but it is much easier to do that than weed out all the spam every day.

What I am primarily addressing, and what I use, is an application for people whose mail application is resident on their PC. It is a free application you can download called Popfile. It works if your mail server uses the "Pop" protocol. I think it may also work if you mail server uses the alternative called "IMAP" but am not sure.

What you can do with Popfile is configure it to put your emails into one of many buckets (as many as you want). Then you set up your email handler with a corresponding set of folders. Each time an email comes in, Popfile tries to guess from the content which bucket it goes into, and if you have both Popfile and your email handler set up correctly, that email will go into the corresponding folder in your inbox.

In the beginning Popfile makes a lot of mistakes, but it learns VERY rapidly. Each time it errs, you open the Popfile application and correct the error. Within 10 days it will get almost every one correctly.

In my case, one of my nine folders is called Spam (and I have a corresponding Popfile bucket also called Spam). Every day I glance through the 10 or 12 subject/sender headers in my Spam folder and if they look like spam, I mark my Spam folder as "read".

On rare occasions I find a real email there and on rare occasions I get a spam email into another folder. I correct popfile, move the offender, and go on.

In my case I have my spam folder discard any email therein that's over 15 days old, so they just sit there a while and go away, so I don't ever have a lot to look through. Further, all the unread ones are in bold type, so they are easy to pick out.

I have no relationship whatsoever with Popfile except as a grateful user. You imply you are a somewhat-new user. If so, you can hopefully find a nerd friend who will help you set up Popfile, otherwise you can probably configure it yourself. After that, I predict that in time you too will become a grateful user.

In closing, I will say there are quite possibly other "Popfile" type applications available. I have been sufficiently pleased with Popfile to have not looked for any alternative.

Collapse -
Decreasing e-mal spam
by Ngallendou / September 28, 2007 12:41 PM PDT

Unwanted and offensive e-mail messages, called "spam" in the US, wastes national energy resources, offends millions of e-mail users, and often carries destructive viri and worse.

Spam senders often get your e-mail address from a blog or website where you or someone else posted it. There are unscrupulous companies that scour the Internet looking for e-mail addresses which they sell to spammers.

Chances are that your e-mail client has a built-in spam filter. Check out its on-line help message for how to activate it. Unfortunately, many of those have to be "trained" by your clicking on appropriate buttons for it to recognize each spam sender's address of which thousands are created every day.

A frequently used, free, nearly-automatic spam filtering service is offered by Google in the form of its Gmail service. Briefly, one can do the following to allow Gmail to filter your e-mail for spam:

1. Open a free e-mail account and get a Gmail address such as
2. Contact your e-mail service provider and have all of your e-mail forwarded to your Gmail account.
3. Set up your Gmail account as a "pop server".
4. Fetch your e-mail from Gmail instead of from your regular e-mail service provider. Outlook (Express) and other e-mail clients can be set up to do so.

This allows others to keep using your regular e-mail address. Gmail does a super filtering job and Google seems to constantly train it. Gmail provide many other free features and will store gigabytes of messages for you free.

Collapse -
email via gmail is almost spam free
by timtak / October 5, 2007 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Decreasing e-mal spam

That is a brilliant idea. I have notice that my gmail account is doing a great job of filtering spam, and I already forward all my email there as a backup but I did not know that I could set up gmail as a pop server.

It is done. That spells the end of spam for me. Thank you!

I am not sure how Spambully is going to stay in business now that gmail offers its excellent spam filtering services for free.

Collapse -
Spam is a Nusiance - Change your attitude-don't get upset
by rohoryder / October 5, 2007 10:38 PM PDT

Spam is inevitable - why get upset. I have multiple commercial email accounts and several of them have been used for years. Many of them are with my own domain. I set spam filtering to minimum on my domain's email service. I don't set Outlooks junk filter to heavy

I get 11-50 spam emails per day (combined total for all accounts. I used to get upset, now I just delete them as I check my mail. I'm almost wide open to receiving spam but the volume is low. Why the number is low, I don't know.

If you really want to stop spam...sign up with one of the third party intercept companies that require a sender to respond to an email with a link to pass the email through to the receipient. This intercept only occurs one time and them the sender is recognized. Spammers never respond to the verification email and are stopped cold.

I also use eBay to make sales. I comply fully with the Can-Spam act by using a double opt in email system even when a person signs up to receive email from me by registering on one of my websites. I never send unsolicted emails.

Collapse -
its true - it works like a charm
by mpryor12 / October 5, 2007 11:54 PM PDT

Ngallendou - i just did this a few weeks ago and it works like a charm. gmail is the ultimate best in filtering spam... about 1-3 get through a day, out of over 100... hats off to your suggestion and to google/gmail. it has saved me much time and alot of grief

Collapse -
Google Apps
by Grumnut / October 7, 2007 9:27 AM PDT

The Gmail approach is a clever one, as it's spam filtering is amazing. If you have your own domain based email ( you can use Google Apps. The free version allows for 200 addresses with 2 gig for each address. I've used this for myself and others. I have one address that attracts extraordinary amounts of spam (about 500 a day). Just to ramp it up I set it with a catch all. It didn't take too long before it was collecting up to 5 spam a second. In a few days I had 38000 spam in the spam folder. Amazingly I had only 6 get through, before I turned off the catchall.

Collapse -
SPAM and e-mail
by HuachucaThunder / September 28, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

I use 3 different e-mail accounts, one for work, one for school, and one for personal use. They are all different services, MSN Hotmail, Yahoo(AT&T) and COMCAST. ANyways, I find that clicking on the options button or tab that you can filter what comes into your inbox and even your "junk" box. The filter is very easy to use on each seeing that you can either type in the sender's name or e-mail or just a certain keyword, such as lottery, mortgage, *****, etc. This will stop MOST of the spam that hits your e-mail account. Now, mind you, that if the sending person uses an ecryption script, then the words may be purposely misspelled and they will get through into your e-mail. But to put it simply, using the filter is the best way to stop the spam.
Also, do not unsubscribe to any spam mail. This may work or it may not. But but unsubscribing, you may risk your e-mail being forwarded to another "organization" to start filling your e-mail with even more worthless junk.

Collapse -
G-Mail will end your spam problem
by MiamiTechnoLawyer / September 28, 2007 12:53 PM PDT

I was receiving 10 spam a day when using A.O.L. for my personal e-mail. Later the spammers found my work E-mail, which is POP3/Outlook based. I opened an account with G-mail the free E-mail from Google. Now I see one or two spam E-mails per MONTH instead of at least ten a DAY. G-mail works so well as a spam catcher, I configured my POP3 work E-mail to forward to a G-mail account. Now I read all of my work E-mail in G-mail instead of Outlook and its virtually spam free. There are spam cather programs available for purchase or free but using Gmail is easy, elegant, and free. You can access your E-mail on G-mail from anywhere and use Google to search your mail. What Google is search G-mail is to mail. Yes its that good.

Collapse -
You got Spamed
by Alain Martel1 / September 28, 2007 12:54 PM PDT

Welcome to the world of SPAM!
Your parctice of just deleting those messages is the ONLY REASONABLE thing to do. If you reply to any "please unsuscribe me" link, you only validate your address and tel THEM that you actualy take the time to read those messages. Result: your address just gained in resale value.

You may change your e-mail address, but it will only be effective for a short while.

Using the control key, select all spam and hit the delete key. this will delete all selected messages.Empty your reader's trash.

You want to know how "they" got your address? Very simple: somebody's computer who have it legitimaly have been infected by a virus or spyware, that maleware in turn scoured his contanct list and sent it "home".
Another possibility: one of your contact forwarded one of your messages to one or many recipients, and one of them was infected by some maleware. It can also be YOUR computer that is infected.
Maybe it got stolen from a site, or a site sold it after a merger or some change in it's privacy policy.
If you, or anybody in your housold, participate in any news group or web forum? You must ALWAYS use a fake address or an obfuscated one like: name AT domain DOT com, or add some throwaway characters in your address. An extra DOT thrown in is enough.
Anybody in your home chating?
Did you sign in on any "gues book"? Did you use your real e-mail address? Web crawler scour those to collect any e-mail addresses.
This start a cycle where your address get sold and resold between various spammer groups.

If you use any web-mail system, you look for any anti-spam filter and activate it.
If you use a mail address from your ISP, you can use an e-mail client that include spam filtering, preferably an adaptive one. I use Mozilla Thunderbird, it have an excellent adaptive spam filter, very easy to use: just flag any missed spam as undesirable. Set it to move suspect messages to the quaranteen folder where you can intercept eventual false positives.

Now is a good time to do some scanning: run your favorite antivirus, get Spambot search & destroy as well as AdAware. Install both, let them update and have them perform a full scan. You may need to reboot in safe mode to effectively remove some pests.
Once done, ask everybody on your contact lists to do the same.
If you have childs, ask them to NEVER give your e-mail address to anybody. Give them a personal e-mail address if possible. Instruct them in the safe way to share an address: obfuscation of the real address.

After some time, if you NEVER EVER answer any of those messages, the flood will tend to subside and diminish to just a trickle, but it will NEVER stop completely.

Personal note: When I first discovered news groups in 1997, spam was not a problem and I used my real address. By 2000, I was flooded with spam. Still prety active on news groups, but using fake or abfuscated address. Now, I only receive less than 5 spam a day on average. I never changed my address.

Collapse -
Spam problems Here is what I do:
by Paul Plasters / September 28, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

First thing, do not send a request to all those senders, that lets them know that you are a live address.

Second thing, make sure you have the addresses of all you wish to get e-mail from, in your address box. Delete any that you do not want mail from.
Then set your filter to shuttle off any and everything that is not in your address box, to your trash file.

Every now and then take a look at the trash pile, because now and then one that you want will get filtered off too. But you only need scan the addresses, or the subject line. After you make sure that they are all junk, empty the trash pile, and start over again.

Collapse -
by jon barleycorn / September 28, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

I very rarely get even a single spam message in my inbox. I found when I counted characters and words common to a sample of SPAM messages, that about 7 would almost always identify crap, so I used the junk email filter in MSN to route these to a special folder where it is easy to see which is which.

Example: my first name, the words: get, win, now, ... A colon (:), a dollar sign ($) and so fourth.

I'm not going to publish the entire list because (1) my list is gonna be different from yours and (2) spammers often know how to read. But, if you're interested get in touch with me privately and I will tell you how it's done.

Collapse -
re: Junk E-Mail/Spam/Virus's
by appman67 / September 28, 2007 12:59 PM PDT

If I am reading this correctly - all you need to do is - install a real good security suite - I bought one and it has been great. The spam controls in the "free" security suites are basically crap. If you purchase Norton, PCCILLIN or some other name brand - you'll get alot better coverage and protection. I was reluctant to actually pay money for something I could get for free - but after toasting my mother board and buying a new pc - I finally bought the pccillin version and have been very happy with the performance of the system. You can customize the level of protection you desire. Best of luck...OA

Collapse -
Fixing that spam problem for good!
by alaskamyheart / September 28, 2007 1:04 PM PDT

I used to have this problem so much, it was just ridiculous. Having websites and email and being on the Internet since 1994, I had over 300 of these a day up until a few years ago. I finally found a solution, which might or might not work for you.
I had always had a Yahoo! email address, but I decided to try the paid version which gives me unlimited space and all. Now you don't have to have the paid address to use the spam zapping feature, I don't think. But I love the paid version ads.
Well, my spam problem almost completely disappeared after this. I had had my email addresses for over 6 years, and Yahoo! email hammered the spam for good.
No worries about changing your email address, either.
Why does it work?
(I'm not affiliated with Yahoo! in anyway except that I host my website there and their smart technology keeps spam off my blog, too)
Everytime someone gets spam in their Yahoo! email box, they just click on the spam link without even having to open the email. After this happens by thousands of users all over the Internet using Yahoo! email, these types of spam are zapped into your Spam folder or Bulk email folder before you ever see them.
I'm lucky to get 1 spam a week now, after using a paid Yahoo! email box for about 3 years now. I tried hotmail, but their spam prevention just wasn't nearly as good.
So, what you do is you go into yahoo! and create a pop for your regular email address that goes out and pulls mail off the mail server where you were getting your mail before.
You set this email address as your default to send with and no one else knows the difference.
If you have a website with Yahoo! you can also set all your website email addresses up there.
This is great for me because I never pull any email viruses onto my computer anymore and can check my email anywhere I go. I never have some email on one computer and some on another. Check it on your lunch break at work or whatever.
But it is the spam zapping technology that keeps me using Yahoo! It is absolutely THE BEST I've found.
Lynne from Alaska

Collapse -
by J Stuart / September 28, 2007 1:09 PM PDT

Purchase Mailwasher Pro.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.