Cameras forum

What camera to buy for specific needs?

by suzycat1 / June 28, 2013 11:53 AM PDT

I am looking to buy a camera for the following needs: action shots of my boys playing sports (need adequate Zoom to take pictures from bleachers and not look like ants, no blur when in motion, and being able to take consecutive shots quickly); family photos for birthday parties, family gatherings, school events, etc (in both outdoor and indoor light); ability to take video of all of the above as well. Capturing family memories is my main interest. I know very little about photography, so I need it to be fairly simple. Have read about Panasonic FZ200, Nikon Coolpix P520, Canon SX-50HS. Not sure which of these, or any others, will best meet my needs. Any recommendations?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What camera to buy for specific needs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What camera to buy for specific needs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Don't expect a miracle
by PistonCupChampion / June 28, 2013 2:59 PM PDT

The first need is going to be the hardest. While your eyes read the light in a gym as fairly bright, to a camera, the light is quite dark. What this means is that to get an adequate exposure, one of three things has to happen: the ISO (the camera's sensitivity setting) needs to be higher, the lens aperture needs to be wider, or the shutter speed needs to be slower. You do not want a slower shutter speed for sports, because your boys will end up blurry. Most camera lenses have a narrower aperture when zoomed in, so you end up needing to adjust the ISO higher. The FZ200 is an exception, because its lens aperture (that the f/2.8 number in the specs; the others drop to f/5.6) can be wide through all focal lengths. Put another way, If you take a photo with the FZ200 at ISO 800, aperture f/2.8, and shutter speed 1/500, the other cameras have to lower the shutter speed to 1/125, or raise the ISO to 3200 (or split the difference with a shutter speed of 1/250 and ISO 1600)...which will either cause the photos to be blurry and/or noisier.

So of the three cameras, the Panasonic has the advantage. Note that these superzoom cameras use the same size sensor as much cheaper "point-and-shoot" cameras; photos taken at a high ISO level will look fine when viewed to fit a laptop screen, but rather bad when viewed in their native size.

Collapse -
by danielsafas / July 2, 2013 12:35 AM PDT

Canon PowerShot SX260 12.1 Megapixel Digital Camera

Collapse -
by varunchandak10 / July 3, 2013 12:20 PM PDT

according to your needs, Canon PowerShot SX260 is the best as it is the latest compact travel zoom from Canon. The SX260 replaces the SX230 (one of my favorite travel zooms from last year) and its biggest feature is its wider, more powerful zoom lens. Other things that have been improved include its image processor, image stabilization system, Smart Auto mode, and burst mode performance. The SX260 retains the same 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor, 3-inch LCD, GPS receiver, and Full HD movie mode of its predecessor.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.