Camcorders forum

General discussion

What cable connects a Panasonic SDR H60P to a MAC?

by scribblejam / January 13, 2009 3:01 AM PST

What cable (i pray there is one) will connect my brand new Panasonic Camcorder to my Macbook Pro, and let me download video?

I have found talk online about Firewire cable, here and there but figured i'd post here and get more reliable info.

GRRR i hate it when i find out after the fact, that certain things are PC only.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What cable connects a Panasonic SDR H60P to a MAC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What cable connects a Panasonic SDR H60P to a MAC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by chickenorfish / January 13, 2009 4:57 AM PST

it works with a USB cable. all your computer needs is a usb 2.0 port, which it 99% has. the port on the camera will be a mini usb port

firewire is only required with tape cameras

Collapse -
by scribblejam / January 13, 2009 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: usb

the camera came with a USB cable but my MAC doesn't recognize it. No reference to mac in the booklet or or the CD that came with camera. CD only refers to Windows.

So i did some google searches and i'm not the only one with the problem. Did not find any concrete solutions just alot of despair. : (

Collapse -
sdhc card?
by chickenorfish / January 13, 2009 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: usb

i dont know if panasonics can do this, but some sonys can copy the video from the hard drive onto the sdhc card in the cam. then all you need is a sdhc card reader

ofcourse you shouldnt have to do this, but it could be a temp solution

Collapse -
by scribblejam / January 13, 2009 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: sdhc card?

ok thanks. i'll look into that option, then i guess go with the cheaper one.

Just frustrating because the only time you realize something doesn't work is after you have already bought it and opened it.

Collapse -
in fairness...
by chickenorfish / January 13, 2009 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

in fairness to panasonic, it does say in the manual and on the box that the software is not mac supported, and that some macs wont recognize the camera no matter what

Collapse -
by scribblejam / January 13, 2009 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: in fairness...

in fairness to me, : ) the box says this exactly:
windows 2000, Built in SD drive (yes) Built in HDD Drive (yes) Video Cam Suite 1.0 (yes)
window XP, ...Same thing.
WIndows Vista ...Same thing...
MAC OS X....Same thing except Video Cam Suite (no)

Someone mentioned getting a cable that connects Mini USB (is that the name given to the camcorder connection?) to FIREWIRE. Hopefully such a cable exists

Collapse -
No such cable exists.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2009 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: but

Please don't waste time there on that cable. Or rather I won't, you may choose to go searching.

Collapse -
I read the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2009 5:42 AM PST

The only support was on page 84 or so for still picture transfers.

Either run a virtual pc/windows or forget this one.

Collapse -
Not sure who cares but.......
by scribblejam / January 13, 2009 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: I read the manual.

...apparently if you update to the latest MAC OS, it works. I have yet to try it but they seemed pretty sure in the apple store. Panasonic, take note and update your SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS.

Collapse -
The solution :
by rayosun9 / October 27, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

I've just gotten my new Camcorder and had this question, and although I haven't tried it yet, I believe the solution offered in another forum to this very question probably is correct, i.e. it's not from Panasonic but from Apple (the receiving end:)
'There is no special software for MAC to download from Panasonic SDR-H60P/PC. Panasonic says can only download still pictures to Mac. However, MAC apparently has simple solution (at least recent versions). Open IMovie before connecting camcorder to computer.
Connect camcorder via USB cable) and follow normal camcorder instruction: select PC Connect (HDD or SD card whichever one applies), press joystick.
Then when Imovie import screen comes up with your movie screens in it, click import."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.