The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What brand of printer do you own, and are you happy with it?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / April 4, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

What model, make, and brand of printer do you own (primary printer), and are you happy with it?

Brother
Canon
Dell
Epson
HP
Lexmark
Samsung
Sharp
Other (which one?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What brand of printer do you own, and are you happy with it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What brand of printer do you own, and are you happy with it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP...

I've had printers from Epson, Lexmark, and Canon in the past, but so far HP has done the best by me...they're reasonably priced, last for several years under almost daily usage, and are backed by the best technical support I've come across.

John

Collapse -
Hp printers
by Papaw / April 4, 2006 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: HP...

Have had 5 in the last 10 years.All have been very good, still use the 690 for ever day printing. Now using the hp 8450 for pictures. The prints are something else. I will be buying another soon and it will be a HP.

Papaw

Collapse -
HP Deskjet 3550
by electfew / April 4, 2006 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Hp printers

This is my second HP Printer. I like how it prints, but have one minor complaint. It seems to not grab the paper and pull it in, unless I give it a little help. Other than this, it is great! I bought it thru their website, as my husband's company has an employee program, where we can get their products at a discount- even refurbs. The ink for this is a lot more reasonable than other printers we've had- especially the Lexmark we bought at Walmart. That is one of my first considerations- what will the price be for the inks? Am relatively happy though.

Collapse -
by owenmpk / April 4, 2006 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: HP Deskjet 3550

The pickup rollers need cleaning or replacing

Collapse -
re. your HP Deskjet 3550
by Soutar / April 5, 2006 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Deskjet 3550

I was interested to read your comment on the paqper feed of the HP: I have recently aquired my first HP, it's a 3200 which I intend to use mainly for photo prints. So far as a printer goes it's been very satisfactory, however, I'm not happy with the paper feed which to me does not seem to be a very clever design sometimes leaving the paper lagging slightly which is a real problem if the job e.g. CD labels, requires accurate register. Disappointing in what is otherwise a first class printer.

Collapse -
Deskjet 3550
by electfew / April 11, 2006 4:31 PM PDT

I own an older one, the Deskjet 932C. It does a great job of printing photos like the 3550 does, but is very expensive for the replacement ink cartridges. Maybe like Owen said, I need to clean the rollers and whatever else I find in there? I do use canned air, and have cleaned the bottom of the inks with alcohol and a Q tip. Keep a pretty clean home, but will check into that. It does seem to be a chronic problem from what I'm reading from your post. Maybe it's a design flaw? Why don't we get notified if there's a problem, like they do to people who get cars that need to be recalled and fixed? The odd thing is that when I give it a bit of help to get in, it prints great! I do use it mostly for prints, but do text here and there. Maybe when I go inside and check it out for any dust or dirt stuck, it will behave itself! :>)

Collapse -
HP
by harrisonlee / April 5, 2006 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Hp printers

I have a HP Photosmart and a HP 8450 AND HAPPY WITH THEM

Collapse -
HP Laserjet 4 Plus
by Fire1946 / April 4, 2006 11:11 AM PDT

I have used only HP printers since 1990. I am presently still using a HP Laserjet 4 Plus which was built in 1992 and was a work horse in my law office. This is one of the most robust printers HP has ever made and not as heavy as the 'old HP III', which was slower, but also very robust and 'maintenance-free'. A toner cartridge for the HP Laserjet 4 Plus lasts for 5,000 t0 10,000 pages and they are dirt cheap when you buy them over the Internet. I never had a problem with these 'refurbished' toner cartridges. I am not happy with the HP 2500 (color Laser); the cartridges are too expensive - more than $ 400 for one set - and cost more than the newer version of a HP color laser printer for $ 399!
Peter

Collapse -
HP LaserJet p5
by Tom B. / April 4, 2006 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: HP Laserjet 4 Plus

I thought I had a story to tell but a 4 beats me! Absolutely a workhorse. The only thing I have ever done to it is change the cartridge. Just pumps it out. I've owned it for eleven or twelve years and have left it running for the last seven or eight. I also have an HP Photosmart P 1000 and a Cannon iP8500. I'm getting superstitious about the p5. I don't like to brag about it as I don't want to break the spell.

Collapse -
HP LJ4 (used) - cheaper & more reliable than an InkJet
by Adrian in Phoenix / April 5, 2006 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Laserjet 4 Plus

I bought an HP LJ 4 on eBay last year and it's been great! It cost less (delivered!) than a set of Lexmark cartridges @ CostCo.

If I need color, I can use my wife's HP 6100 over our LAN, but the Laser always produces clean prints and I hardly ever have to mess with it. I even use it to print the CD labels for discs I take to work.

Our Epson Stylus was a very good color printer, but we bought some bad cartridges on-line and they plugged up the printhead - repair costs were about the same as buying another printer.

Collapse -
Recommdations for HP LaserJet 4 cd labels
by antichip / March 3, 2008 1:37 PM PST

I got a HP LJ4 from a computer show for $20 and it works flawlessly, except it has problems thick stock paper and business cards.

Do recommend any brands/types of CD labels?

Thanks

Collapse -
HP LaserJet 4 cd labels
by Adrian in Phoenix / December 8, 2008 1:45 AM PST

I'm happy with the Fellowes brand CD labels that come 2 per 8.5 X 11" page. Make sure the packaging says they'll work in laser printers - mine work in both laser and inkjet printers. his was part # 99942 the last time I got some.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) HP for large format is unbeatable
by jahan / April 4, 2006 11:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Photosmart 7960
by ranae97 / April 4, 2006 1:08 PM PDT

Love it!!! It works great.

Collapse -
HP Laserjet 4, Deskjet 722c...
by Swarm32 / April 4, 2006 1:36 PM PDT

I happen to be quite pleased with the Laserjet 4 , 2 Deskjet 722c's, and the All-in-one 1310 i posses. Not one of them have given me trouble, whereas the epson one I have died about a month out of warrantee. I also still have a Panasonic KX-P1124 lying around in operational condition to boot.

Collapse -
Printer Poll
by computerill / April 4, 2006 6:39 PM PDT

I have two HP printers, but mainly use the 8150, the other one is a 1410 and both are great and I've never had a problem with either one.

Collapse -
Epson...
by Ravensblood / April 4, 2006 10:36 AM PDT

2400 and 2200

Love love love them, and the 2400 prints so incredibly fast.

Collapse -
Love my Canon(s)
by flagman / April 4, 2006 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Epson...

Got my second Canon F60 or F80. All in one scanner, printer, copier. Reasonable OEM refills @ Costco.

Collapse -
Satisfied with my Canon
by telli97 / April 4, 2006 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Love my Canon(s)

I had bad experience with both Lexmark and HP printers. The issue with Lexmark was the high cost of refill cartridges while my HP printer made such a ruckus and finally conked outless that 2 years after I bought it. HP's support was less than helpful even though I had an extended warranty on it, the service tech returned it saying the part was unavailable and then refused to replace the unit as it was discontinued! My scanner is Canon and so I got myself a Canon Printer and so far I am happy with it.
Laji

Collapse -
Canon Printer
by hari_12 / April 5, 2006 4:34 AM PDT

I am truly satisfied with my pixma mp800 printer.
This printer does everything well.

Collapse -
epson
by riteon / April 4, 2006 11:29 AM PDT

I also own a 2200 & find it a great printer. The price of the cartridges are a real bargain in comparison to some of the other manufacturers

Collapse -
Epson Stylus color 740
by lugalau / April 6, 2006 4:13 AM PDT

I do not print all that much. I am happy with the results I obtain when I print fotos.

Luis

Collapse -
Brother
by Ravensblood / April 4, 2006 10:38 AM PDT

2040 B&W laser pritner for documents. sorry, forgot this one...it's very nice and cheap, if you don't mind that it's loud. I never knew how nice a laser printer could be.

Collapse -
Cannon s200
by terrybsmith / April 4, 2006 10:42 AM PDT

yes and no the ink tanks are too small but at least they are cheap

Collapse -
Do you have kids accessing your computer during the day?
by mwyatt / April 4, 2006 10:46 AM PDT

Do you have kids using your computer?

If so, a reality (and financial check). Get a lowcost laser printer, and push your photos to an online service. Your wallet will be sure to thank you...

Collapse -
ebay for ink
by caromi / April 5, 2006 5:53 AM PDT

My daughter is a printing nut. We get ink on ebay at a low cost.

You are correct though, the laser printer is a good choice and it's where I'm looking with my home business. I print tons of business and personal stuff. I love my HP PSC but I need to look at the cost which is tremendous.

Collapse -
xerox 8550 phaser
by joemilkes / April 4, 2006 10:48 AM PDT

I use it for biz primarily-- main benefits: very fast, collates which almost none of the others in this price range do, uses ink wax sticks which are not nearly as bulky as cartridges, cost per copy less than with powder/cartridges (I think) and main benefit-- dealing with business type dealer that understands importance of fixing it quickly and providing backup if needed. It was pricy but I think lot of bang for buck if it gets used a lot and multiple copies are important. Extended service warranty available for no cost on-site service. Lower end 8500 might be good alternative for home use--almost same machine but does not collate and slightly slower I think.

Collapse -
That's What We Thought Too When We Bought an 8500N
by Reframmellator / April 4, 2006 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: xerox 8550 phaser

We bought a Xerox Phaser 8500N as the workhorse color printer for a small business. I'm glad you seem to be getting support from your local dealer. Xerox support is arrogant when it's not nonexistent. See my review on our Phaser 8500N. In short, we bought it in October 2005 and have had four service calls on it. The last time we were without the printer for two weeks. Xerox basically took a **** happens attitude about the downtime.

Never again.

Collapse -
Epson
by fortonb / April 4, 2006 10:50 AM PDT

Epson Action Laser 1500. Over 10 years old and works as good as it did on day one...

Collapse -
Printer
by lobo65 / April 4, 2006 10:54 AM PDT

Canon Pixma MP-150. Good, basic all-in-one machine for somebody like me who doesn't need anything fancy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.