The CNET Lounge

General discussion

What brand of digital camera do you own?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 11, 2007 3:27 AM PDT
What brand of digital camera do you own, and are you happy with it?

Canon (What model?)
Casio (What model?)
Fujifilm (What model?)
Kodak (What model?)
Nikon (What model?)
Olympus (What model?)
Panasonic (What model?)
Pentax (What model?)
Sony (What model?)
Other (What is it?)
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What brand of digital camera do you own?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What brand of digital camera do you own?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon Power Shot A620
by deckpinz / May 11, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

Love the 8 mega pixel shots. Easy to use, good opitcal qualties, uses regular AAA batteries so it is easy to find and replace if I'm not carring an extra set of rechargables. Tilt view screen makes it easy to see shot at less then idea shoting heights and angles, that's not possible with fix viewers I've seen on other cameras. It's great for shooting when glare would wipe out set viewscreens.
Missing is any way to tell what is the life of the battery charge, so carry extra batteries. Wish the tele, and close-up lenses were less expensive would like to buy them. Would also like a off camera mike for the movies, although the on camera one has been trouble free. Plastic door over the ports (A/V out, power and Digital) has held up with out any problems, though it looks flimsy and rubs on the wrist strap.

Collapse -
NIKON D70S
by photobuff55 / May 13, 2007 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Power Shot A620

I already had two Nikon N80 bodies and various Nikon lenses, so of course I'd stick with Nikon when going digital, but I've been very very happy with the D70s. It's very user friendly, and one of the benefits of digital (I've found) is they are more sensitive to low light than the equivalent ISO film was. I can get great shots in theaters dialed up to 1200 or 1600, without flash. There's some noise, not much, and if you don't print large (which I don't, in this case it's for the high school scrapbook), it's just fine. The D70s has done everything the reader asked about. In fact, last summer I was taking photos of the high school marching band, playing around with my new camera, and I set it to multiple photos. I actually got the equivalent of a video in still frames! The teacher asked me to put it on a CD to show to the class as to who was in step - or out. It takes 3 fps and will store about 7 seconds worth as it writes to the card, so you're rarely ahead of the camera's abilities. I also took several sequence shots during the last school play, which was fun to view. I was recently hired on as assistant photographer for a pro studio with the understanding I'd use my own equipment - if it's good enough for the pros, it's good enough for me! In addition, I have a part-time job. I'm technically working for Kodak (on a Six Flags property) but guess whose equipment we're using - NIKON! In fact, they're using the same camera that I own, the D70s, on the street, and the D2H in the studio. I plan to upgrade to the D80 as soon as I can afford it, because it has a higher megapixels, but that's rarely noticeable in the prints I make now.

Collapse -
Nikon D80
by pkripper / May 14, 2007 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: NIKON D70S

I also love Nikon, I own the D80. Incredible Camera, well worth the money. Very satified with my purchase.

Collapse -
Nikon D80
by Alexander Daniel / November 21, 2007 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: Nikon D80

It is the best camera.
Alexander

Collapse -
Phenomenal
by yajanssen / November 22, 2007 12:43 AM PST

Just upgraded to the D80 a couple of weeks ago. Getting into it. Is doing exactly like it says when you follow instructions. Unbelievable quality. Manually, automatic settings..... Am getting private lessons this Monday. Want to be able to use the D80 to its fullest.

Collapse -
D 80
by shyammohan1 / September 11, 2008 3:37 PM PDT

Is This Camera NIkon D 80 Water Proof and also Humidity Proof.

Pls reply

Shyam

Collapse -
Kodak Easy Share CX6200
by Grimsbygolfer / May 11, 2007 12:13 PM PDT

Camera is fine for my needs ..

Collapse -
Digital camera
by llittle Man / May 11, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

I don't have one but i would like to own one but the other thing is that i don't wich one that i would like to have?

Collapse -
Canon SD500 - Digital Elph
by yodiebodie / May 11, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

My second elf - love Canon!

Collapse -
kodak dx7440
by crazee4mee / May 11, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

Great camera for everyday picture taking. I like the scene modes and the rechargeable battery - it lasts for days!

Collapse -
Pentax
by jmedina37 / May 11, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

I own a Pentax K10D with a 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. I have been using pentax since the 30 years and have never let me down.

Collapse -
pentax k10d, very good cam
by willem_4 / May 12, 2007 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Pentax

got a pentax k10d, and after some initial bad-monday model got a replacement that I am very happy with. lots of features and pro-options (it's eg. weather-proof; no flimsy plastic like canon; extremely good value for money compared to nikon). lots of good lenses too, and all the old quality ones work fine (pentax has used the k-bajonet mount for yonks).
Only thing against it is its weight; but then, they all weigh a tonne it seems, when I started comparing. It's not a lightweight film cam. Pentax appears to be a lightweight compared to others, although it doesn't feel like that...

Collapse -
Pentax K10-D
by w5gcx / November 21, 2007 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Pentax

I agree, I have been using Pentax cameras since 1971. Once you compose a picture you get it ! The K10D has many features once you understand it. They are a small company and have a challenge vs Nikon, CANON etc

Collapse -
Fujifilm V10
by esazus / May 11, 2007 1:32 PM PDT

Love tgis camera, small easy to use use. Good innages

Collapse -
Digital Camera
by carolbrend / May 11, 2007 1:34 PM PDT

I own a Canon Ixus 900i

Collapse -
Sony Ericsson K800i
by thelastsamurai / May 11, 2007 1:34 PM PDT

A 3.2MP point and shoot entry level camera phone.
I'm using it happily...

Collapse -
Sony Cyber-Shot 5.1 mega-pixel DSC-P93A
by Jayne L. Wells / May 11, 2007 1:36 PM PDT

I love my camera.

Had it for years now - never a problem with it.

The movies aren't the best, but I didn't buy it for that feature. I have an old camcorder if I was still into taking movies.

Inexpensive, small, fun, and easy to use!

That's all I need.

Collapse -
CANON EOS400D
by P0tZ / November 21, 2007 9:52 PM PST

Best camera I ever bought. Would have liked to have had a preview screen that works outside of playback but its aimed more at the pro photographer with 10.2MP.
I would recc. it to anyone.

Collapse -
NIkon
by mario50 / May 11, 2007 1:38 PM PDT

Nikon 100 and Nikon 200 happy with both as lens i equipped them with a zoom and many macro lens with extentio tubes

Collapse -
Nikon D70
by jinjin / May 12, 2007 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: NIkon

I just purchased used Nikon D70 in very good condition after 30 years dealing with cameras & comacords and I'm extremely happy with my new Nikon... It's lens 18-70mm very sharp and the itself is easy to use and have great way to control it mamualy

Collapse -
Canon 20D and Canon S3 IS
by digidiva100 / May 11, 2007 1:40 PM PDT

I have a Canon 20D and a 17 - 55 mm, a 17 - 85 mm and a 100 - 400 mm Canon lenses. Excelent camera! I also have a Canon S3 IS for a take-anywhere camera with 12X zoom for versatility and bird shots.

Collapse -
S3IS
by shooter9mm / May 12, 2007 12:57 AM PDT

I have a Canon S3IS also and use the viewfinder but it never seems clear as in a standard SLR. I have written Canon several times with no response from them at all. I am thinking on returning it or switching with another S3IS form Staples where it was purchased as a Christ-Mas present. Please give me your opinion of the viewfinders clarity. JLS

Collapse -
S3 IS
by DickM / May 12, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: S3IS

If this will help I also have a Canon S3 IS DSLR Which is a fine camera I've been a Canon onwer for over 28yrs and love the products.. Enough said about my likes to your question at the rear of your view finder the left side is a diopter focus you might want to adjust it and see if this will help...

DickM

Collapse -
S3IS
by shooter9mm / May 13, 2007 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: S3 IS

Don't take this wrong but I could kiss you, a simple adjustment and it is amazingly clear, why could Canon not suggest this or at least answer my email, thank you so much. I was on vacation at 8,200 feet and thought perhaps the altitude affected it, as it was clear, either I or someone taking pictures of my wife and I moved it, again thanks.

JLS

Collapse -
Canon S3 IS DSLR ??
by letch54 / May 16, 2007 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: S3 IS

With all due respect but the Canon S3 IS is NOT a Digital SLR - was that a typo ?. And further to shooter's question the S3 IS has an Electronic View Finder (i.e. a small LCD screen) whereas true DSLR cameras have a through the lens view finder which will always be sharper, clearer and without response lag issues of a EVF.

Collapse -
Canon camera
by JBinGilmer / May 11, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

Canon Power Shot A75. My first digital. 3.2 Megapixels. Good camera, easy to use and lots of features.

Collapse -
Fujifilm Z5
by rickpatbb / May 11, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

This camera is so thin, you can slip it in your shirt pocket with no problem at all. I love it because I can take it with me at all times. When is the last time you wished you had your camera with you and it is sitting in the den back at home? That doesn't need to happen with this camera. It also takes some great shots for a point and shoot camera. One feature allows you to take 2 pictures with one press of the shutter release. One with a flash and one without the flash. It doubles your chances of taking a great shot. I have several digital cameras but this one is the one that is with me ALL the time.

Collapse -
This Poll asks the wrong question
by WineO / May 11, 2007 1:44 PM PDT

Most people who own a Digital Camera will if asked say that they are happy with the brand that they own. When you buy a Digital Camera and you walk out of the shop it is almost an out of date Camera already -- you will certainly not have the latest for long. This does not matter as long as you have picked the camera with the features and abbilities you need and will use. Technology does make advances and all cameras have strong and weak points so I feel that the question should have been what Digital Camera are you going to but next?

Collapse -
Canon (I've had 4 now) and a little apex? or something
by homicidalnurse / May 11, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

My 4th Canon is an S2IS and I do I do love it. The 10x optical zoom is pretty wonderful, the choice of optical viewfinder or fairly big and swivable LCD is nice. I had a powershot s45 that I really loved but gave to my son when he moved. That camera went to the beach over and over, was dropped and dented on every side, stolen by the school kids and traveled in backpacks and generally survived heck, and took GREAT pictures. I had two s-50's, one was almost immediatly lost by said school kids, and a second was bought off ebay and died almost immediatly. The apex or whatever no name thingy is a little workhorse too, used by the kids. Other than that, I've given away a pentax, suckered by the name and greatly disappointed by performance, and a two other brands. I'd try a sony cybershot if I didn't feel really guilty about laying out any more camera money, but I do recommend the cannon's.

Collapse -
What brand of digital camera do you own?
by CactusPrick / May 11, 2007 1:49 PM PDT

I've had one of the first Canon Digital Rebel cameras for about 4 years. I purchased it because I could use the lenses I already had for a Canon SLR film camera. It had been a very reliable camera and takes excellent pictures. The only weakness I would consider is the built in flash which is a bit 'weak'. That weakness is easily overcome by using a Canon flash unit.

I have several lenses and my favorite is the image stabilized 70mm - 300mm zoom lens. It's a bit bulky but that is completely offset by the image stabilization feature - takes great pictures in low light.

I've owned Canon SLR cameras for many years and their digital SLRs, coupled with their many lenses, offer great flexibility and take excellent pictures.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.