Laptops

Question

What Brand Laptops still offer an OS W7 o their new models?

by Newaygo1 / February 2, 2013 12:26 AM PST

I was really looking to buy a New Laptop with W8 but now that my brother has a Desktop with W8 he is more computer knowledgeable and he has had many issues with W8 it seems to be more for tablet users and not Laptops or Desktops. I comtinue seeing posts that some brands still offer Laptops with W7 but I have yet to see any with a good processor and a 17.3 inch display. Looking for an AMD A-8 and a 17.3 Laptop but most brands have gone with the W* OS and with so many issues with W8 I am wondere just what brands offer a Laptop for under $500.00 with W7, an AMD A-8 Processor, and a 17.3 inch display. Heard most new models have some kind of software / firmaware that won't allow W7 to be loaded and W9 removed and work properly. And Dell currently does not offer any Laptops with an AMD Processor.

What brands can you buy with W7 on them and a good faster Procssor like AMD A-8???

Any brands or are we stuck once our current laptops stops working??? With no computer for the future since Microsoft decided the future with a poor Windows 8 OS!

Newaygo1

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Brand Laptops still offer an OS W7 o their new models?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Brand Laptops still offer an OS W7 o their new models?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The Dell Business line for example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 12:31 AM PST

Your post makes me think you are using the stores for such a thing. I don' want to upset you but 8 can be tamed with Classic Start to get a lot of what folk miss back.
Bob

Collapse -
Again What Brands Offer a New Laptop with Windows Seven?
by Newaygo1 / February 3, 2013 2:12 AM PST

After reading that WIndows is noit worth using and many returning or trying to uninstall and switching over to Windows 7 because Windows 8 is more for Tablet and they then attempted to make it also for LapTops And DekTops and it is sjhown not to be : USER: friemnd it comes to using a mouse or the keyboard but more for a Touch Screen that Tablets only seem to have and there is somethat in the firmware that for some brands that won't allow you to put Windows 7 on a "Newer" Model Laptop was why I was asking not if apps are avalable it should come with these apps band not have be found and "added"? And the fact that many versions of softwarte won't work with Windows 8 is an added problem and having to work thru major issues to get simple things to work makes it not worth buying and "trying" when it is not friendly unlkess you might be an IT Professional that most are not and will never be just don't have the time to fix problems but I guess that is how Microsopft works yets it out to IT Pros and thinks the common computer user will know how to work thru issur after issue!!! Sad they don't get it but wait they are computer people not common computer users so they miss that fact.

So again what brands still offer New Laptops and an A-8 ot newer Processor and has a large display like a 17.3 with Windows 7 ???

Newaygo1

Collapse -
Did you see Bob's example - Dell Latitude?
by wpgwpg / February 3, 2013 2:19 AM PST

See the Dell Latitude line at this link
http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/latitude-e5530/pd

Just to reiterate what Bob also said, if you get something with Windows 8, you can install Classic Start for free and it makes it look and work like Windows 7.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Dell. for example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 2:25 AM PST

My bet is Lenovo and others have such because they will not sacrifice business with businesses just because the retail outlets are pushing consumer machines.
Bob

Collapse -
But it's different if an organization is
by orlbuckeye / February 3, 2013 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Dell. for example.

replacing computers. My company has over 2000 computers and we always get the computers with the most current OS version released. Because they are replacements we are free to use the old license or the new. Right now our standard in XP but new PC's are having WIndows 7 images installed. We get the copmputer and no matter what OS it has we replace with an image of our standard software. We also are limited because some of our enterprise software requires certain versions of browsers.

In the business world it's about what licenses are owned and that makes the upgrade path much easier.

Collapse -
Answer
I believe Dell on their
by orlbuckeye / February 3, 2013 9:34 PM PST

website offers windows 7 machines. From what i've read Intel blows AMD out of the water in high performance processors. I've heard AMD makes a good entry level processor but the high end processor's can't compete. Now in your price range an AMD will be easier to find with a 17" screen but not sure about Windows 7 machine though.

I purchased a Windows 8 laptop with touch and and backlit keyboard and I loves it. I never use the touch (except to bring up the charms menu) as the mouse works great for me. I don't miss the start button at all as I have the shortcuts for Desktop apps I use on the desktop. I use the desktop 99.9% of the time I use Windows 8. I still have my Windows 7 machine but when it comes to connecting to my work computer I use the Windows 8 machine every time eventhough it's lower resolution. It's just easier and the remote application is great.

Collapse -
Thanks but I guess I won't find a New Laptop with Windows 7
by Newaygo1 / February 5, 2013 7:51 AM PST

So I won't be buting any Computer in the near future if I doi guess it might be a MAC Book. No sense wasting money on something that so many take issue with and if you go to OS Forum here and other Computer Forums many have posted just how bad W8 I guess Bob must be an IT Profecssional seems only those like it the computer person that uses them "hate: it including my brother and his wife but I am not able to but in high volume to get them to to offer it with Windows 7. So much for Microsoft I should have listen to my youngest Brother an IT Person and he continues to suggest Linux maybe I should have years back then I would not be asking for something I know and have some user knowledge but I don't use a "computer but for personal tasks emails, letters, digital Picture storage searching out info on products and online buying.

Thanks but I am moving on seems that only a few here like it at least from all the reading I did in the OS Section but I guess that is why I am moving on from anything to do with Microsoft... Just not worth learning a new OS every time you need a new computer XP, Vista, W7 & now W8 and they will just continue with this way of thinking now for most users... Just some...

Newaygo1

Collapse -
It's a good choice too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 8:27 AM PST

I can only guess why you can't get a Windows 7 laptop. I see others chimed in about this but it is true you may not find them in the retail channel. We can buy them in the business section of the noted suppliers.

And you don't have to be a business to shop there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.