Laptops forum

what brand for a cheap, fast, non-gaming laptop?

by akb48 / October 13, 2012 5:53 AM PDT

I'm looking to buy a new inexpensive laptop but don't know where to start. I plan to use the laptop mostly just for web surfing, streaming videos online, and programming in PHP. I won't use it for gaming, don't need the best video graphics, etc. I also want a laptop that is fast because my current one can take a very long time to start up and the internet browser pauses many times. The laptop being light and having a long battery life is also good for me. Any ideas of what brands would be good for me?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what brand for a cheap, fast, non-gaming laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what brand for a cheap, fast, non-gaming laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
On what continent? Country?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2012 10:22 AM PDT

The pauses you speak of could be self-induced. I've lost count of PCs with conflicts in security as well as malware installed.

Collapse -
When you say fast
by orlbuckeye / October 16, 2012 2:32 AM PDT

you can mean alot of things. It looks like what you want to do you the difference between an i3, i5 and i7 you won't see much of a difference. If you want fast startup times a Hybrid or a SSD will increase that over your traditional HD. But like Bob says even that can be affected by malware and crapware that unknowingly gets installed and slows startup. Basically every laptop will slow over time if you don't have some type of maintenance. Alot of software you download for free asked or encourages you to install toolbars. Toolbars hijack web sites and slow your browers down and Phish for information. I just worked on someones PC and they had the toolbar Websearch all over. I had to unistall and run Antimalware bytes twice to remove it. I'm not even sure if the remants were still left in the registry but Antimalware said it was clean after running twice.

Collapse -
Google Chrome book
by laptopsbattery / November 6, 2012 11:54 AM PST
Collapse -
I doubt that he can
by orlbuckeye / November 7, 2012 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: Google Chrome book

do PHP programming on a Chromebook.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: I doubt that he can
Collapse -
My workplace is getting
by orlbuckeye / November 8, 2012 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: Surprised?

really messed up now with certain software requiring not only specific browsers but specific versions of browsers. We have a financial package that forces IE 6 but we've been able to solve that by moving to a fat client version. No we have software that won't run with new versions of Java but it does require Java. Then when you launch Chrome the first thing it does is ask to update Java. Some things run better in Chrome but we can't use it as default because we use Sharepoint and that WILL NOT run in Chrome.

Collapse -
Sharepoint and that WILL NOT run in Chrome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 1:25 AM PST

Thanks for that. I'm not surprised as the items in the title are from companies that are at war.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.