Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

What are your favourite extensions for firefox?

by eecoff / August 16, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

My personal favorites are:

-FireFTP (this one is great!): Free FTP

-Adblock: Block ads
-NoScript: Block scripts

-Forecastfox: weather

-Tabbrowser preferences: configure tab preferences
-PDF download: configure pdf download preferences

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are your favourite extensions for firefox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are your favourite extensions for firefox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
downloading
by ihowell / August 17, 2006 11:37 PM PDT

since i download a ton of stuff, the download statusbar is my favorite, closely followed by the skin greenshift

Collapse -
My favorite
by timfnb / August 18, 2006 12:15 AM PDT

My favorite plugins...

Tab Mix Plus - customize how your tabs work! Do you want to always open links in a new window? no problem. Do you want a close option on every tab? no problem. There are tons of options that you can configure! see https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1122

Forecastfox -- a great way that to view the weather forecast! Customizable with more than just the location! see https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1978/

Dictionarysearch -- right click on a word and look it up in dictionary.com see https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/68/

Add search enginges to firefox. Not really a plugin but very helpful! You can search more than google! On this site, you can browse the categories at the bottom. http://mycroft.mozdev.org/install.html

Collapse -
My Favorite Firefox extensions
by Mark0 - Technologist / August 18, 2006 4:00 AM PDT

I started using Firefox at v0.6 and love it!! Its been my #1 browser since installing it.

What I like even better are some of the extensions that you can use to add functionality to it.

- FEBE: My handsdown BAR NONE favorite is "FEBE". Firefox Extension Backup Extension. I you have multiple computers like I have, (or even if you don't), this allows you to SAVE your extensions so you don't have to go a searching for them on the Firefox website. FEBE also backs up your bookmarks and configuration so that you can take it all with you.

- Talkback: firefox still crashes more often than I'd like, this one helps make it better!

- Adblock: Along with
- Adblock Filterset.G updater These two together make surfing the web much more enjoyable, removing most (if not all) advertising.

Others that I use (in no special order)

- Colorfulltabs
- Image Zoom
- PDF Download
- IE View
- Tabbrowser Preferences
- Disable Targets for Download

Collapse -
Favorite Firefox Extensions
by Ron Geiken / August 18, 2006 4:06 AM PDT

One of the reasons that I love Firefox is that you can install so many extensions to it. The ones that I have installed for my Firefox 1.5.0.6 are,
1. Dictionary Search
2. Faster Fox
3. Foxy Tunes
4. I.E. View
5. Image Zoom
6. Netcraft Toolbar
7. No Script
8. Page Zoom
9. Sky Hook Wireless Loki
10. Talkback
11. I.E. Tab
12. Down Them All
13. Google Toolbar
14. Colorful Tabs
15. Mcafee Site Advisor

I really like all of these Extensions, and when I found out that Firefox 2.0 beta wouldn't support some of them, I removed it and stayed with 1.5.0.6.

Firefox is so superior to Internet Explorer 6.0, that I wonder why anyone would still use IE. If Firefox doesn't display a page properly, you can always use the I.E. Tab or I.E. View to look at it.

Colorful tabs is one of my favorites, since I frequently have 5 to 10 tabs open, and it is easier to see the tab you want to reference at the moment.

My Theme is ifox smooth, which gives a nice compact look to things. I have a 24'' wide screen monitor now, and that is not a real problem, but I like the ifox smooth look and feel.

If you are the least bit adventurous and you aren't using Firefox presently, download it and give it a test drive. You don't have to make it your default browser unless you want to. Also download Thunderbird to use for you e-mail reading. It is far superior to Outlook Express and really easy to set up and use.

Collapse -
Other than what has already been mentioned...
by GovernmentMan / August 18, 2006 6:46 AM PDT

My favorite extension would have to be Greasemonkey.

Collapse -
Better Browser.
by stynor / August 18, 2006 11:05 AM PDT

Rather than download a bunch of extensions to firefox, I tried and constantly use OPERA. Try it; You'll like it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Firefox is the better browser. Period.
by mdstout58 / August 21, 2006 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Better Browser.
Collapse -
SCRAPBOOK
by yayauk / August 18, 2006 7:24 PM PDT

Since using Firefox I have added quite a few excellent extensions - some already mentioned here. I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the brilliant ''Scrapbook'' which I downloaded a few days ago and haven't stopped playing with since! I haven't discovered it's full potential yet but it enables the saving of web pages or parts of web pages and images to folders in the scrapbook side bar.Once here they can be edited, notes made, use of''sticky notes'' and there is even an import/export facility. It is an essential tool for anyone doing research.

Collapse -
Call me boring, but...
by 3rdalbum / August 18, 2006 11:15 PM PDT

...the only extension I use is User Agent Switcher. It works quite well against some websites which only accept Windows/IE connections. (VERY important for me as I hate restarting into Windows just to visit some poxy website)

If only they could write it to pretend that the browser has Flash 9 and Windows Media Player as well! That would pretty much be the ultimate defence against unprofessional web coding.

Collapse -
Extensions that are less popular...
by billyswong / August 19, 2006 7:14 PM PDT

I always wonder why nobody mention ''show image'' and ''autohide'' in this kind of discussions. ''Show image'' let you reload broken image without reloading the whole page, which is handy for anyone in unstable network connection. ''Autohide'' hides the toolbar when you fullscreen so that it is true fullscreen, leaving no trace that you are browsing a webpage.
''Sidebar on right'' is another simple yet great extension. It's function sounds simple - put the sidebar onto the right hand side. But you will love it, especially if you are an user of "scrapbook" and/or "quicknote".

Collapse -
The best and the very useful extension are...
by virtuox / August 20, 2006 4:57 AM PDT

The best extensions for browsing fast:
- Adblock
- Adblock Filterset.G Updater
- Extended Status Bar
- gTranslate
- Remove It Permanently
- Tabbrowser Preferences
- Tabopen relative
- Restart Tabbed
- Search IMDB

Very Useful Extensions:
- BackgroundImage Saver
- Cache Status
- Customize Google
- Digg This toolbar
- Download Manager Tweak
- Gmail Manager
- Image toolbar
- MR Tech Local Install
- Optimus Tweaks
- PDF Download
- Show image

Collapse -
Crash Recovery #1
by baller20 / August 20, 2006 11:31 PM PDT

besides the sad regularity with which Firefox crashes, I found that if I shut down my computer with Firefox open at the end of the workday, when I come back to the office the next morning, when I open Firefox, all the tabs from the previous night wonderfully reopen. I also like Colorful Tabs and Cooliris Preview.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.