TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What are the best HDTV Factory Warranties?

by ninjaxz750 / June 2, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

I've been doing some serious HDTV hunting and I've come across one thing that's stopped me: Who has the best warranty? In all my searching online, I have not found a breakdown or review of manufacturer warranties. I know Vizio has 1 year In-home service, but does anyone else? And if they do how good are they? I tried looking on manufacturer websites, but some are vague or don't address this in any fashion, even if they do provide the service. Some seem to be dependent upon size, some are not. I know if I purchase a Sceptre, I'd be responsible to ship it to CA if it fails, and I live in PA. I wouldn't want to see that shipping bill.

If anyone can help without me calling or emailing every manufacturer there is, I would appreciate it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are the best HDTV Factory Warranties?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are the best HDTV Factory Warranties?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Costco.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 2:24 AM PDT

It breaks, take it back, get another.

Collapse -
well.... OK. that kind of works.
by ninjaxz750 / June 2, 2008 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Costco.

That would work if I purchased at a store front and if it failed within 14-30 days, but what about after that or if I purchase online? I still need to know what manufacturer offers what warranty services.

Collapse -
Isn't Costco online.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 3:54 AM PDT

Checking... Yup.

Collapse -
well...
by ninjaxz750 / June 2, 2008 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Isn't Costco online.

Ok, I think you're missing my point. Yes Costco has online and retails stores, but what about CompUSA or TigerDirect? Even with that 14-30 day period, after that period of time it won't matter who it is. They won't take it back and I'd have to deal with the manufacturer.

Yes, Costco has an extended warranty program, but it only extends whatever the manufacturer allows. So if I buy a TV that requires you to ship it back to the manufacturer, then extending the warranty won't do me any good, because I'd still have to ship it.

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

Costco is legendary on the warranty. I'm going to decline writing about it. (no shipping involved!)

-> What you want does not exist. You can extend your warranty or live with the paltry warranty offered for free. Most of us can't stand what's happened so I offered the best place to deal with your issue. Look into it and that's as good as it gets today.

Collapse -
maybe you know something I don't
by ninjaxz750 / June 2, 2008 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry about that.

This is directly from Costco:
"For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. ..."

Again, If I buy the Sceptre TV, and it drops dead, I have to ship it to CA. Even if it's 2 years from when I made the purchase. So I ask, Do you know something I don't? Is there a different Extended warranty Service that Costco offers that is not visible to me?

Collapse -
Just walk in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 5:13 AM PDT

And it's a simple matter to get a new set. Why must you ship this thing? Again, I must decline writing about this. You may not like having to read the former member writings but it saves me from writing it all again.

Collapse -
what Bob says is the truth
by jostenmeat / June 2, 2008 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Just walk in

The "CS" is legendary. I will also decline from telling certain stories, because I do not want people to abuse their legendary flexibility. I will just say that some stories I know are completely unheard of anywhere else.

After being asked, I even advised a 10 yr employee of Panasonic to not use his considerable company accomodations, but to buy at Costco instead. When he saw that the prices were so similar anyways (yes, that's how good the prices are), he agreed that it was a no-brainer. Even for a guy who IS AT Panasonic everyday for work......

I was recently hunting for a mid to hi end front projector. While I upgraded my choice in the end, I was focused on the Pana 2000u, with one of the biggest benefits being that I could buy it at Costco. Its a big bonus and/or factor to be able to do so.

-j

Collapse -
Well, If you say so...
by ninjaxz750 / June 2, 2008 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Just walk in

I've gone through the threads regarding Costco. I understand and yet don't understand. I am not questioning that Costco is consumer friendly. You ask why I must ship it? The answer is because that is what the manufacturer told me when I inquired regarding the Sceptre model I was asking about. In email. Regardless of any extension.

I just expected a different response to my question. I was hoping to simply find out what each manufacturer offered in terms of warranty. Then you tell me don't worry go to Costco. If you say so then I will leave it at that and accept my thanks for your input.

Collapse -
I just decided to buy my new tv at fry's
by love_electronics / June 3, 2008 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, If you say so...

Why..because costco doesnt carry the new samsung 7 series and said they have no idea if they ever will. Most manufacturers seem to have a standard 1 yr warr. and than you need to either buy the extended warr. or pay to fix it. I bought a 5 yr warentee for 250. They do in home service and give you a loaner if it needs to be shipped out. And yes Costco used to take back everything but here in san diego anyway they now have a 90 day return policy on tv's. and the 2 yrs he spoke of is just as he stated the extention of the manufactures warr. so I believe he is correct in that if the manuf. does not provide in home service than it would need to be shipped out but that is something you need to check with each manuf. ...it is not costco who does the repairs nor sends it out.

Collapse -
Mfg warranty info on bargain brand HDTV's
by Marzen216 / June 3, 2008 8:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Very useful information-thanks
by RustyDallas / June 3, 2008 11:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by ninjaxz750 / June 4, 2008 12:14 AM PDT

That's almost exactly what I was looking for. However it doesn't instill me with confidence to simply go out and buy an HDTV now... as always: Buyer Beware! Costco and Sam's ma still be the best, Costco a little better in giving the 2 year extended for being a member but it all depends on the TV you eventually get.

Collapse -
HDTV Users forum by make/model
by Marzen216 / June 5, 2008 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I can sympathize with your hesitation in spending ~$1000 for a tv that may be a burden in less than 24 months. There are so many issues to consider that were never present in the past. In addition to warranty coverage and ease of repair/replacement I also need a tv with a better than average antiglare screen treatment due to large windows and I really want good black level detail as my wife complains about that too with our existing set. An above average scalar that will up convert standard def tv stations really well would be a plus but ranks last due to the upcoming all digital (read "not-all-hdtv, just all digital) change over scheduled for Feb 09. Other people don't want a 500 watt tv, a 'funky' weird remote control, tiny little speakers, etc.

If you're interested in a particular make/model you can find in depth info at AVS Forums from owners & occasionally dealers.
Main Page:
http://avsforum.com/
LCD Flat Panel Displays:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166
Plasma Flat Panel Displays
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167
Two warnings 'tho:
1) no price talk due to the forums being partially sponsored by dealers.
2) Occasionally you will see panic/doom/gloom regarding some issue (mostly front projectors for home theater). Some issues that would drive a videophile nuts won't even be noticeable to the average consumer. All in all a really good source for info despite the fact you may have to search through several lengthy threads on the more popular models. Still, EVERYONE wants a diamond for the price of a cubic zirconium, and this is great place to do the research. I especially appreciate the pre-sale info for Black Friday that always surfaces before Thanksgiving Day.
Marz

Collapse -
wow
by ninjaxz750 / June 5, 2008 12:19 PM PDT

In my youth I used to be an audiophile nut and read TAS but i'm older and married (IE BROKE). The only thing left from my crazed days is mt Nakamichi deck (which is packed away in my garage since no one uses tapes anymore). This will be a site that will be a while in looking over.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.